Help Support CattleToday:

Chevy

Reaction score
:welcome:
:help:
:tiphat:
So how did ya'll name your farms?
:deadhorse: :cowboy:

Geography and history. I call my farm Lode Creek Angus, it is at the end of Lode Creek. I back up on the hills and is where they were looking for the Lode of tin that was being retrieved as alluvial in the creeks and gully's. A deep shaft is up the back that was dug in 1873.

Ken

Around here only people that name their ranch is city slickers who buy a few acres and think they are ranchers. :cboy:

cowboy43 said:
Around here only people that name their ranch is city slickers who buy a few acres and think they are ranchers. :cboy:
They wear big plastic hats , drive around in new crew cabs that cost more than a ranch...and and hang on Every word the tractor supply employees tells em..

ALACOWMAN said:
cowboy43 said:
They wear big plastic hats , drive around in new crew cabs that cost more than a ranch...and and hang on Every word the tractor supply employees tells em..

Southern States manager thank you very much and my hat is straw.

My crew cab is 7 years old but looks brand new I'll have you know.

Dad and mom named their old place sassafras hill due to the fact they lived right on top of hill and sassafras trees grew all over the place. My uncle and aunt call their place TLA ranch just took their initials and made a brand they raise roping cattle a couple brimmers and roping horses. I guess I should name mine pocket book breaker

family name of my Great Grandfather who homesteaded part of the ranch - his first wife's father got here even earlier and that homestead is now the headquarters. Used to be called after his brand, but daughters and marriages led to using the name instead. some other family by marriages liked using their family names and some of us wanted to stick with the original. Area is named after the GGF family as is one mountain peak. like a lot of folks from that time we like to say they were run out of Texas. :cboy:

Don't really have a name for it.Most places around here don't unless they are old names from years back or in cases of people who form LLCs for business.
Most places are known as "The _________ Place" after the family that owns or,sometimes,owned them.Or, it's over at"Bill's,Doug's or whomever.A few places still carry the names of people who owned them quite a while ago.The other farm I own is still referred to by us by the _____ Place even though my Grandfather bought it in 1943.

JW IN VA said:
Don't really have a name for it.Most places around here don't unless they are old names from years back or in cases of people who form LLCs for business.
Most places are known as "The _________ Place" after the family that owns or,sometimes,owned them.Or, it's over at"Bill's,Doug's or whomever.A few places still carry the names of people who owned them quite a while ago.The other farm I own is still referred to by us by the _____ Place even though my Grandfather bought it in 1943.

I try to do that for all the old places around here that turn over. "Oh you are on the old _______ Place. Nice to meet ya." I especially get grumpy when somebody comes in and tries to split or develop...usually they go broke, since there isn't any water and I am sorry, as long as somebody is around that remembers the history I am going to try to honor that. Those older families put the real work in and the new folks need to prove up to deserve a rename. gosh I sound obnoxious, don't I? :lol2:

My farm name is hard nose cattle company went with that cause everything that I started out was the hard way from cleaning barn by hand pounding post by hand dropping bales on the ground and picking them up with pick ups it just seemed fitting from my beginnings

Latest posts