My most unusual Christmas Eve EVER!

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
It's been a long night, and I still have to get up in 3 hrs and begin cooking. Christmas Eve 2018 was one for the records here at my place...
Last night, #4 son and his wife came over, he cooked a great Chicken/Sausage gumbo..my eldest sister came over to eat with us, and we had just begun eating when I heard heavy clumping footsteps coming up the 7 porch step. My daughter in law made some remark about "Santa's come for gumbo.....and about that time heavy knocks on the door, and just as I get up, the door comes open and it's a neighbor standing there in a white tee shirt, with a big blood stain on his shirt, about where your right side liver begins................."Bill shot me" and he plops down in a chair. The guy had walked 350 yards to my house. I call 9-11 and gave them directions and tried to find out what happened, but none of it made sense at the time.
The sheriff beat the ambulance here by 20 minutes (sheriff lives about 2 miles from me) . I had already got the guy laying down, and while moving him, I see the exit wound blood stain on the back of his shirt.

Too tired to finish this right now, but he did get transported to the hospital ok, and I assume he will live and can say, it was all over some bad hay, & sick horses.

Redgully":lj24ln6p said:
Of all the days! Some angry people out there who shouldn't have guns!

Never know as often said in Texas "he needed killing" , that's one below "Bless their heart"
Apparently the shooter took that literally.

''Twas the night before Christmas....

Bad hay, a sick horse, and a round from a .44, When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter, and old GB went to the door to see what was the matter.......

Doesn't have the same ring to it

Wow. Merry Christmas

You did your good deed for the year. Let us know how everything turns out. Merry Christmas

The shooter is another neighbor, from up the road.
It's a complicated deal but the short version is they got into an argument, the shooter's female friend started videoing as soon as the wounded guy starting swinging, and after the wounded guy slung shooter across a room, shooter pulled his weapon and fired once. From what everyone told me at the scene, video , did not show which one swung first. (I did not see the video but LEO confirmed it as happening this way.) Both men have a relatively short fuse..I know them both well. Shooter was released at the scene by the Sheriff under various Texas statutes, I'm sure 'Stand your ground' played in to it tho from the 2 eye witnesses I talked to, it was at last partially a case of 2 fairly evenly matched grown men getting into a fistfight and the one on the losing end deciding he wasn't going to take to butt whipping.
I've fought some in my life, some I won, some I didn't. Never once even considered shooting someone to keep from losing one.
New phrase around here:
"Don't make me call Bill"

I'll post the related parts about why it happened (the hay and horses part) later. I got to get a turkey in the oven now.

Funny thing about. As we 5 are sitting there eating the gumbo my son fixed.........He told me later... "You know Dad, how you notice things in the middle of something happening...You & I jumped right up when he knocked on the door, but when he was standing there bleeding everyone else was watching but still eating gumbo, and I remember thinking, 'Dam...I made that gumbo RIGHT!"

(Son also went immeditely and got the shotgun from beside my recliner, not sure who was going to come thru the door next.
My poor daughter-in-law was pretty shocked by the whole thing I believe)..and I got to say, it was a really a crappy reason to go shooting someone over........3 bad bales of hay and a few 'nothing special' horses being sick. It wasn't the shooter's fault the hay was bad.it was the property owner's...he brought the hay in from over near San Antonio. The hay was full of spear grass and the horses have infections in their mouths......it's what was wrong with the horse I posted a question about in the horse section. Swollen lymph nodes.

Well you definitely got a Christmas to remember! Sounds like the makings of a great Christmas song also, just make sure it has some banjo in it.

greybeard":71rt30ug said:
It's a complicated deal but the short version is they got into an argument, the shooter's female friend started videoing as soon as the wounded guy starting swinging, and after the wounded guy slung shooter across a room, shooter pulled his weapon and fired once. From what everyone told me at the scene, video , did not show which one swung first. (I did not see the video but LEO confirmed it as happening this way.) Both men have a relatively short fuse..I know them both well. Shooter was released at the scene by the Sheriff under various Texas statutes, I'm sure 'Stand your ground' played in to it tho from the 2 eye witnesses I talked to, it was at last partially a case of 2 fairly evenly matched grown men getting into a fistfight and the one on the losing end deciding he wasn't going to take to butt whipping.
I've fought some in my life, some I won, some I didn't. Never once even considered shooting someone to keep from losing one.
New phrase around here:

I'll post the related parts about why it happened (the hay and horses part) later. I got to get a turkey in the oven now.

Funny thing about. As we 5 are sitting there eating the gumbo my son fixed.........He told me later... "You know Dad, how you notice things in the middle of something happening...You & I jumped right up when he knocked on the door, but when he was standing there bleeding everyone else was watching but still eating gumbo, and I remember thinking, 'Dam...I made that gumbo RIGHT!"

(Son also went immeditely and got the shotgun from beside my recliner, not sure who was going to come thru the door next.
My poor daughter-in-law was pretty shocked by the whole thing I believe)..and I got to say, it was a really a crappy reason to go shooting someone over........3 bad bales of hay and a few 'nothing special' horses being sick. It wasn't the shooter's fault the hay was bad.it was the property owner's...he brought the hay in from over near San Antonio. The hay was full of spear grass and the horses have infections in their mouths......it's what was wrong with the horse I posted a question about in the horse section. Swollen lymph nodes.

GB, I'm trying to piece this together. Correct me if I'm wrong. The fellow that got shot, we will call him Leadcatcher, went to Israel for Christmas, while you, then Bill cared for his horses. Then Leadcatcher comes home and his horses are sick. Gets mad and goes to whoop up on Bill. When Bill came up on the short end, he shot Leadcatcher. Or am I confused?

greybeard":3gvz9dt2 said:
New phrase around here:

Greybeard, there is your retirement. Print shirts, hats, and bumper stickers saying "Don't make me call Bill"

greybeard":jakt9ozj said:
It's been a long night, and I still have to get up in 3 hrs and begin cooking. Christmas Eve 2018 was one for the records here at my place...
Last night, #4 son and his wife came over, he cooked a great Chicken/Sausage gumbo..my eldest sister came over to eat with us, and we had just begun eating when I heard heavy clumping footsteps coming up the 7 porch step. My daughter in law made some remark about "Santa's come for gumbo.....and about that time heavy knocks on the door, and just as I get up, the door comes open and it's a neighbor standing there in a white tee shirt, with a big blood stain on his shirt, about where your right side liver begins................."Bill shot me" and he plops down in a chair. The guy had walked 350 yards to my house. I call 9-11 and gave them directions and tried to find out what happened, but none of it made sense at the time.
The sheriff beat the ambulance here by 20 minutes (sheriff lives about 2 miles from me) . I had already got the guy laying down, and while moving him, I see the exit wound blood stain on the back of his shirt.

Too tired to finish this right now, but he did get transported to the hospital ok, and I assume he will live and can say, it was all over some bad hay, & sick horses.

I saw this about the time you posted it. Been hoping for a chance to read it again. Thanks for the update.

Latest posts