My most unusual Christmas Eve EVER!

Help Support CattleToday:

JMJ Farms":geulv6eq said:
greybeard":geulv6eq said:
The shooter is another neighbor, from up the road.
It's a complicated deal but the short version is they got into an argument, the shooter's female friend started videoing as soon as the wounded guy starting swinging, and after the wounded guy slung shooter across a room, shooter pulled his weapon and fired once. From what everyone told me at the scene, video , did not show which one swung first. (I did not see the video but LEO confirmed it as happening this way.) Both men have a relatively short fuse..I know them both well. Shooter was released at the scene by the Sheriff under various Texas statutes, I'm sure 'Stand your ground' played in to it tho from the 2 eye witnesses I talked to, it was at last partially a case of 2 fairly evenly matched grown men getting into a fistfight and the one on the losing end deciding he wasn't going to take to butt whipping.
I've fought some in my life, some I won, some I didn't. Never once even considered shooting someone to keep from losing one.
New phrase around here:
"Don't make me call Bill"

I'll post the related parts about why it happened (the hay and horses part) later. I got to get a turkey in the oven now.

Funny thing about. As we 5 are sitting there eating the gumbo my son fixed.........He told me later... "You know Dad, how you notice things in the middle of something happening...You & I jumped right up when he knocked on the door, but when he was standing there bleeding everyone else was watching but still eating gumbo, and I remember thinking, 'Dam...I made that gumbo RIGHT!"

(Son also went immeditely and got the shotgun from beside my recliner, not sure who was going to come thru the door next.
My poor daughter-in-law was pretty shocked by the whole thing I believe)..and I got to say, it was a really a crappy reason to go shooting someone over........3 bad bales of hay and a few 'nothing special' horses being sick. It wasn't the shooter's fault the hay was bad.it was the property owner's...he brought the hay in from over near San Antonio. The hay was full of spear grass and the horses have infections in their mouths......it's what was wrong with the horse I posted a question about in the horse section. Swollen lymph nodes.

GB, I'm trying to piece this together. Correct me if I'm wrong. The fellow that got shot, we will call him Leadcatcher, went to Israel for Christmas, while you, then Bill cared for his horses. Then Leadcatcher comes home and his horses are sick. Gets mad and goes to whoop up on Bill. When Bill came up on the short end, he shot Leadcatcher. Or am I confused?
Leadcatcher, works for the property owner. The property owner is in Israel.
Leadcatcher is not a livestock type person, but is/was staying at property owner's place, doing odd jobs, but he will not make any move regarding anything, that might jeopardize his free place to live.

The shooter and his wife are good and old friends of the property owner, and they are horse people. Horsepeople are the ones that actually take care of the horses when they are here in the area, but spend most of their time in Houston. They are weekenders at their place right up the road. They had taken property owner's horses to the vet to find out what was wrong with them. When the vet showed them what was wrong, they came by, told leadcatcher the hay needed to be burned (the vet's recommendation) He refused to do it and after they left, said he wasn't going to do anything at all until he heard from property owner.

I offered to give him some hay tarps that will cover five 5x6 bales..top, sides and ends all the way to the ground, if he would move the hay all to one place and out of where it was stored. He again said he wasn't going to do anything without property owner's say so.

I left, forwarded all that to the horsepeople couple and then offered to let them move the horses on to my place but they would need to bring a bale or 2 of good hay for them to eat. They replied saying they were in contact with property owner and he told them he would text leadcatcher and have him move the hay and help burn it but regardless to "Do whatever you need to do to get the hay burned". (I doubt property owner meant for them to shoot the guy)

The actual final argument began when leadcatcher got into an argument with one of horse people's wives regarding burning the hay and he verbally insulted her.

As I said....it's complicated...

:santa: :santa: Just WOW. :shock: Ours was quiet. Lost a calf to pneumonia/IBR or whatever. Snotty nose, weak, couple of days of anti-biotics and died this morning. Weather was sunny but chilly/windy on Christmas eve. Cold cloudy dreary today, sun supposed to be out tomorrow then rain Thursday and Friday. After the 3-4 inches we had last week and the nearly foot of snow the previous week......
God bless you and your family for being there to help. This may make everyone re-asses their whole situation with the horses. Maybe, the horsepeople needed to be more diligent in taking care of owners horses while he is in Isreal if they are responsible for them???? :???: :???:
Sounds like it is a clusterf#ck that will get sorted out in the courts..... and leadcatcher will wind up with some sort of compensation because even insulting someone's wife doesn't seem like a good enough reason for him to get shot. But I can't judge because I don't know all the facts.

Oh Well..... wouldn't want the holidays to be boring..... :? :?

greybeard":iy6n96n6 said:
JMJ Farms":iy6n96n6 said:
greybeard":iy6n96n6 said:
The shooter is another neighbor, from up the road.
It's a complicated deal but the short version is they got into an argument, the shooter's female friend started videoing as soon as the wounded guy starting swinging, and after the wounded guy slung shooter across a room, shooter pulled his weapon and fired once. From what everyone told me at the scene, video , did not show which one swung first. (I did not see the video but LEO confirmed it as happening this way.) Both men have a relatively short fuse..I know them both well. Shooter was released at the scene by the Sheriff under various Texas statutes, I'm sure 'Stand your ground' played in to it tho from the 2 eye witnesses I talked to, it was at last partially a case of 2 fairly evenly matched grown men getting into a fistfight and the one on the losing end deciding he wasn't going to take to butt whipping.
I've fought some in my life, some I won, some I didn't. Never once even considered shooting someone to keep from losing one.
New phrase around here:
"Don't make me call Bill"

I'll post the related parts about why it happened (the hay and horses part) later. I got to get a turkey in the oven now.

Funny thing about. As we 5 are sitting there eating the gumbo my son fixed.........He told me later... "You know Dad, how you notice things in the middle of something happening...You & I jumped right up when he knocked on the door, but when he was standing there bleeding everyone else was watching but still eating gumbo, and I remember thinking, 'Dam...I made that gumbo RIGHT!"

(Son also went immeditely and got the shotgun from beside my recliner, not sure who was going to come thru the door next.
My poor daughter-in-law was pretty shocked by the whole thing I believe)..and I got to say, it was a really a crappy reason to go shooting someone over........3 bad bales of hay and a few 'nothing special' horses being sick. It wasn't the shooter's fault the hay was bad.it was the property owner's...he brought the hay in from over near San Antonio. The hay was full of spear grass and the horses have infections in their mouths......it's what was wrong with the horse I posted a question about in the horse section. Swollen lymph nodes.

GB, I'm trying to piece this together. Correct me if I'm wrong. The fellow that got shot, we will call him Leadcatcher, went to Israel for Christmas, while you, then Bill cared for his horses. Then Leadcatcher comes home and his horses are sick. Gets mad and goes to whoop up on Bill. When Bill came up on the short end, he shot Leadcatcher. Or am I confused?
Leadcatcher, works for the property owner. The property owner is in Israel.
Leadcatcher is not a livestock type person, but is/was staying at property owner's place, doing odd jobs, but he will not make any move regarding anything, that might jeopardize his free place to live.

The shooter and his wife are good and old friends of the property owner, and they are horse people. Horsepeople are the ones that actually take care of the horses when they are here in the area, but spend most of their time in Houston. They are weekenders at their place right up the road. They had taken property owner's horses to the vet to find out what was wrong with them. When the vet showed them what was wrong, they came by, told leadcatcher the hay needed to be burned (the vet's recommendation) He refused to do it and after they left, said he wasn't going to do anything at all until he heard from property owner.

I offered to give him some hay tarps that will cover five 5x6 bales..top, sides and ends all the way to the ground, if he would move the hay all to one place and out of where it was stored. He again said he wasn't going to do anything without property owner's say so.

I left, forwarded all that to the horsepeople couple and then offered to let them move the horses on to my place but they would need to bring a bale or 2 of good hay for them to eat. They replied saying they were in contact with property owner and he told them he would text leadcatcher and have him move the hay and help burn it but regardless to "Do whatever you need to do to get the hay burned". (I doubt property owner meant for them to shoot the guy)

The actual final argument began when leadcatcher got into an argument with one of horse people's wives regarding burning the hay and he verbally insulted her.

As I said....it's complicated...

That clears it up some. Quite the mess. As Jim Croce said "Don't mess around with Jim" or Slim, or Bill!

Bet the shooter feels like shite today and is wondering what the hell he did it for. Kind of lucky he hasn't killed the guy. One of those moments you wish you could turn back time. Mind you i bet the guy who was shot will have learnt a valuable lesson he will remember for life!

Tell you what Greybeard, i pray you got a picture of this for next years Christmas card. If you did, please let me forward my mailing address to you. Now that would be a REAL Texas Christmas card. Wouldnt even need to send me a dollar with it; the card would be more than enough!

bball":fks6s400 said:
Tell you what Greybeard, i pray you got a picture of this for next years Christmas card. If you did, please let me forward my mailing address to you. Now that would be a REAL Texas Christmas card. Wouldnt even need to send me a dollar with it; the card would be more than enough!

I did not take any photos, tho I know the sheriff deputy did.
(Pretty sure my son snuck one in from about 7' behind where we were trying to look after him, but I didn't ask to look at it..I've seen plenty of bullet holes already)

Following JMJ Farms' lead.......

Twas the night before Christmas at Greybeard's house,
where his wife and his sister and his son and son's spouse,
had just sat down to a gumbo son fixed with roux and great care,
Over rice it steamed and smelled good in the air.
Our bowls were filled and we started right in when the dog outside began a loud din.
we heard heavy footsteps on the porch steps near
and daughter in law said "Santa Claus is here!"
When a knock on the door came loud as thunder
and then it flew open and filled us with wonder.
And what should appear, to our shocking surprise,
but Bobby from David's, with glazed over eyes.
From a white shirt front a red glob appeared
from a hole in his gut, looked like he'd been speared.
He said in a moment that he had been shot,
other than that, he said not a lot.
I sprang up from my chair to go to the door
but the rest just kept eating, Gumbo and more.
"Bill shot me" he uttered as we sat him right down
at the yuletide table we'd just gathered 'round.
911 was called in less than a flash,
as we lifted his shirt like a red and white sash.
One hole in the belly and the same in the back,
from the gun's chamber and no more from the stack
where a bullet had entered and gone on out
as he grimaced and moaned but he never did shout.
"Oh it hurts!" is all he would say
as we waited for help that was soon on it's way.
My son's wife was standing in shock,
and she sent my son to fetch,load and lock
my own 20 ga from it's place by the bed
and wondered who was next thru the door, with some dread.
Once sister and Felicia flagged them down
coming from Coldsprings the next nearest town,
The sheriff arrived and then DPS.
20 minutes had passed since the message I'd left.
We'd moved him out front and he lay on a bench
and bled on a blanket and would occasionally wince.
Half hour had passed as the medics arrived
and they took over his care & shined a light in his eyes.
Took his blood pressure and cleaned both wounds
then loaded him up & away they all zoomed.

The Sheriff and trooper were the last to leave
as they went up front to see what was to see.
Before they left, off into the night
they said Merry Christmas to All
and to All a Good Night!

Bobby is doing pretty good from what the hospital would tell me. Not allowed visitors tho.
The others involved seem to be continuing with their lives as well as can be expected.

We had really stormy weather last nite, all nite long. I drove over to where the horses are on my 4 wheeler and found the storage shed with one more bad bale of hay in it; wide open....and 2 horses in there munching away. I ran them out, temporarily fastened the hasp with a screwdriver and then went home and got a padlock for it. Anyone wants in it, they can come get the key. If the river continues to rise, most of that place will be covered with water by morning.

What I don't get is not giving the guy attention/first aid or calling 911 after the incident.. To me that's being a POS.. It would be different if it was a burglar that intended harm from the time he set foot in your place, but this is BS. It's like leaving the scene of an accident

Nesikep":15rh2gcz said:
What I don't get is not giving the guy attention/first aid or calling 911 after the incident.. To me that's being a POS.. It would be different if it was a burglar that intended harm from the time he set foot in your place, but this is BS. It's like leaving the scene of an accident
I'm not giving someone I just shot anything but maybe another bullet.

True Grit Farms":ru6wedtg said:
Nesikep":ru6wedtg said:
I'm not giving someone I just shot anything but maybe another bullet.
Better not go to Grits and let him put a hole in you. You'd bleed out before you got to any of his neighbors' houses :lol2:

Nesikep":ufy3xlt9 said:
The guy did not go down at all.took off running.
From the timestamp I have on my phone, it took him about 5-7 minutes to get to my house..maybe a little less. I didn't get the voicemail until afterwards because my phone was upstairs inside my jacket but the shooter called me right after calling 911 to tell me to be looking for the victim. I saved the voicemail for the detectives.

It took emt a while to get to my place, in part, because they had received a 911 call from the shooter first, and he gave them the address there, which is where the ambulance went. He was not sure at that point where the guy was.

The building it happened in is a long metal building. It's a "shotgun" style building....when everything is open, you can see in one end and out the other. Big roll up doors on each end. 1=Storage and work area on one (West) end. 2=Living qtrs in the middle, 3= Tack and work area on the other (East) end. The living qtrs has walkin doors centered on each end, but in line with each other. All doors were open. He ran out the West end of the building into the night and into the national forest immediately upon being shot.
(That's the story I was told anyway)
Yellow line is the approximate path I believe he took, tho I do not know for sure how far he went out into the forest or even IF he went out into it. He would have had to cross a 5 wire gaucho fence twice (into and back out of the forest) and then open and close a 14' gate entering my property. The shot was fired a bit to the left of where the #2 is and he ran out to the left of the picture.

Oh, found out today, it was a 40 cal S&W round, not a 9mm from the handgun that Bill usually totes around.

greybeard":31h7y7jw said:
Bobby is doing pretty good from what the hospital would tell me. Not allowed visitors tho.
The others involved seem to be continuing with their lives as well as can be expected.

We had really stormy weather last nite, all nite long. I drove over to where the horses are on my 4 wheeler and found the storage shed with one more bad bale of hay in it; wide open....and 2 horses in there munching away. I ran them out, temporarily fastened the hasp with a screwdriver and then went home and got a padlock for it. Anyone wants in it, they can come get the key. If the river continues to rise, most of that place will be covered with water by morning.

I bet they're shytin' bricks right about now.

Latest posts