Unusual Names

Help Support CattleToday:

tater74":q2n7vyjy said:
Drove past the turn off to Gay Hill, TX then a little further up the road the turn to Snook, TX.
Snook's claim to fame is it's where chicken fried bacon was invented --at Sodalaks Cafe.

LauraleesFarm":2p4fcw62 said:
CB and GB brought up Timpson, Teneha, Bobo and Blair. That is something my pawpaw used to sing out as he laid down a winning hand of cards, or dominoes.

And CB also mentioned Nigton. We drove down Hwy 94 years ago when my daughter was middle school age. She just about FLIPPED out when she saw the sign. She could not believe that it was there in official state signage, as politically incorrect as it is by today's terms. I really didn't have an answer.

Remembering when Conroe was a speck of nothing.....I've always wondered if Conroe may have been originally "corn row" .....?

We used to live in Liberty City which was previously known as Hogeye.

Nothing really sticks out around here except the area just south of my place is called Hepsibah. After doing a little biblical research and learning the meaning and correct spelling and pronunciation, I thought it was interesting. And I feel that my place is definitely on the level of beaulah land, which sealed the deal on our purchase.

Yall are forgetting about Bogata,which is south of Paris, TX. Only place in the world where the folks cannot pronounce the name of their own town. They say it buh-GO-tuh. So why dont' they change the spelling?

I knew of Nigton from tromping all over Trinity County in my youth my mothers side was from Apple Springs and my grandpa had
a section there. My grandpa was Commissioner and over the roads in his precinct he couldn't drive an automobile with out wrecking
it. So he rode the precinct on his saddle horse ole Dolly. Dolly died in the early sixties at 47. After my grandpa died she spent the rest of her life in my uncles pasture the little kids rode her around the farm well up into her 30's.
That old horse never spent a night outside or was out in the rain unless she wanted to.

Here is the history of Nigton,
http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/onli ... cles/hnn24

If you can mess this one as bad as the locals we know you are from here.
Colmesneil the locals pronounce it Co mo nel.

Theuvenins Creek here is pronounced Toodlum by the locals you figure that one out.

We have Dusty, WA which is out the wheat country in the Palouse and it can be dusty.

Then there is George, Washington. Ate breakfast there many times at Martha's Inn.

Walla Walla. One Walla wasn't enough?

I got a kick out of a story in the news about Puyallup WA. The guy pronounced it "poo ee loop"

dun":1n4jzwiw said:
I got a kick out of a story in the news about Puyallup WA. The guy pronounced it "poo ee loop"

That is where I graduated high school. They butcher pronouncing it all the time. It is pronounced "pew al up".

Dave":3qmzi9wi said:
dun":3qmzi9wi said:

That is where I graduated high school. They butcher pronouncing it all the time. It is pronounced "pew al up".
I thought it was obvious how it was pronounced correctly. That's why his pronounciation cracked me up.. But I knoew exactly where he meant when he said it.

Bushyhead,Ok
Gray Horse,Ok
Gene Autrey,Ok
Ringling,Ok (named after the circus)
Hominy,Ok
Hooker,Ok
Wapanucka,Ok
Lone Wolf,Ok
Maud,Ok
Bowlegs,Ok

When i was younger we thought it was funny that if you were on Hwy 59 you had to go thru Bowlegs to get to Maud. :lol:

Latest posts