Thoughts on this Angus bull

Help Support CattleToday:

showing71

Reaction score
We're gearing up for sale season and have been snapping a few pics when the weather has been bearable. This is a pic of one yearling that we've had a lot of interest in. Just wanted to hear your thoughts on him. He's a Mytty In Focus x Cooley Menard 326S
Numbers are:
CED: 13
BW: -1.9
WW: 52
YW: 95
CEM: 14
Milk: 23
$W: 32.18
$F: 35.02
Born 1/30/12 with an actual BW of 60lbs, adj. WW of 710. He's out of a first calf heifer. He has not been ultrasounded yet.
IMG_0455_zpsfa373ede.jpg

Taken around the 1st of the year when it was really cold
IMG_0112_zps371924ac.jpg

Taken in October

I'd have to say he'd be one of the better angus bulls thats shown up on here.Looks to be a well muscled easy keeping type - I like him a lot.

Good luck with the sales.

Thanks! I want to make sure there isn't any major holes in him I'm overlooking.

I like him except for his back wheels. It might just be the photo and the way he is standing, but it looks to me like the far back foot has to much set to it which could make for longer toes. But like I said, could just be the picture, might not be an issue at all.

Australian":2va43b2k said:
Good butt profile, would like to see him stronger in the head. Guess I'm used to bulls looking like bulls. Numbers mean nothing to me if the animal doesn't look good. I agree he is one of the better ones that I've seen posted on here.

Here we go with that bulshyt again.

Don't listen to this crap his head is fine!

Australian":3ef8w9mt said:
Good butt profile, would like to see him stronger in the head. Guess I'm used to bulls looking like bulls. Numbers mean nothing to me if the animal doesn't look good. I agree he is one of the better ones that I've seen posted on here.

Australian ,he is not even a year old in the last pic and the crest will come as he matures , especially when he starts breeding ; that should really pop.

If his calves look like him as a calf in the first pic then it should be money in the bank for a terminal producer .

Australian":gzzsp10y said:
I agree about not having a "cow headed" bull, but this bull is absolutely NOT cow headed. As stated he is very young yet and will mature just fine.

BRG - I know "pictures say a thousand words", but I don't think the picture is telling the whole story on his feet. Thanks for mentioning it though, I'll have to take a closer look at his toes when the mud freezes up again to be sure. I'm guessing he was just standing awkward on the frozen mounds of crap under the snow. The Dam, Granddam, and Great-Granddam all have excellent feet, so hopefully it's just the picture.

About his head and crest, in our experience, the more extreme calving ease bulls like this one don't typically look real "bully" until breeding time. It always seems once they go out with the girls, they get the mature bull look in a hurry. Probably doesn't help that he's got his winter fuzz. When we torch the hair before their "official" picture, the crest they have is more apparent after we get the 3 inches of hair knocked off their toplines. That's always an adventure, if anyone wants to come help and stink like burnt hair for 3 days after torching 35 bulls, let me know! :lol:

Latest posts