The Posse Comitatus Act

Help Support CattleToday:

JMJ Farms

Reaction score
Some of you local folks are probably familiar with GON magazine. (Georgia Outdoor News). To the best of my knowledge the owner/editor, Steve Burch, is a fine fellow and he shares a lot of my same views. This is an editorial he wrote last month that I found very interesting and decided to share.

Editorial — Why Are Federal Agencies Stockpiling Ammo?
BY STEVE BURCH ON JULY 9, 2016 NEWS
The Posse Comitatus Act is a federal law signed in 1878. The purpose of the act is to limit using federal military personnel to enforce domestic policies within the United States.

Its primary purpose is to prevent a U.S. President—the Commander in Chief—from using federal troops against the U.S. citizenry. And so we come to a couple of interesting facts.

Fact one. The IRS has purchased about $11 million worth of firearms, ammunition and tactical gear between 2006 and 2014. The IRS!

I can only conclude from this fact that (a), they know what I think of them, and (b) they are scart!

But kidding aside, the IRS has found a need for more than $1 million of guns and ammo per year, at the latest rates.

And they are not alone.

A report released by American Transparency on June 17 says, "During a nine-year period through 2014, we found, 67 agencies unaffiliated with the Department of Defense spent $1.48 billion on guns and ammo. Of that total, $335.1 million was spent by agencies traditionally viewed as regulatory or administrative, such as the Smithsonian Institution and the U.S. Mint."

Why?

Even more compelling and troublesome is this fact. According to Paul Caron of Pepperdine University School of Law, "The number of non-Defense Department federal officers authorized to make arrests and carry firearms (200,000) now exceeds the number of U.S. Marines (182,000)."

Fact Two. These are federal police. They are armed and equipped like soldiers. They represent an army operating under the control of the executive branch and unconstrained by Posse Comitatus.

And they find a need to arm themselves to the teeth. Should there be a lesson there for us? I think yes. But the government, at least the current regime, says that while the government needs more and more arms, the citizenry needs fewer arms.

This tracks the same logic where the president ridiculed the notion that a border fence would offer protection for Americans, but when some guy jumped the fence at the White House, they raised the height of that fence.

Hummm.

This sort of intellectual dishonesty has most recently been on display in the wake of the awful shooting in Orlando.

Despite the shooter clearly and repeatedly citing why he was doing what he was doing—as he was doing it—the U.S. Attorney General went to Orlando and declared that "it may be months" before we understand what motivated this person.

I reflect back to the awful shooting last year in a church in Charleston, S.C. It took only hours for that motivation to be understood, named and condemned.

How can insight into one mind be so certain and another so uncertain? Could it be political?

Because I am a cynic here, I notice that the time frame set out by the Attorney General for understanding the Orlando shooter's motivation extends past her time in office, and past her boss's tenure.

As awful as was the shooting in Orlando, it was worse in France on Friday, Nov. 13 last year; two and a half times worse. Gun control in France is very tight. Gun control did not protect those people there. Yet, we are told that we should implement it here, for our safety.

I don't believe it. I don't believe most of what our leaders tell us anymore.

There is something that I think is very clear. There are only three things that stop these shootings when they occur. Either every victim is dead, or the shooter runs out of bullets, or a good guy with a gun shows up and stops the shooter.

My background in self defense goes as far back as the M-1 and M-14. I cut my teeth on the earliest editions of both the M-16 and AR-15. I qualified on several types of machine guns. I understand the dynamics of a gun fight.

When I listen to our current leaders talk about the way forward, I am convinced they do not understand these things, and their lack of understanding is dangerous. Doubly dangerous is their concerted efforts to leave us all defenseless; at the mercy of either terrorists with guns, or an armed government that continues to stray further from the protections supposedly guaranteed by our Constitution. Either way, my rule is simple. I don't plan to be the first to run out of bullets.

More food for thought

he troubling aspect of the directive outlines presidential authority for the use of military arms and forces, including unarmed drones, in operations against domestic unrest.

"This appears to be the latest step in the administration's decision to use force within the United States against its citizens," said a defense official opposed to the directive.

Directive No. 3025.18, "Defense Support of Civil Authorities," was issued Dec. 29, 2010, and states that U.S. commanders "are provided emergency authority under this directive."

"Federal military forces shall not be used to quell civil disturbances unless specifically authorized by the president in accordance with applicable law or permitted under emergency authority," the directive states.

"In these circumstances, those federal military commanders have the authority, in extraordinary emergency circumstances where prior authorization by the president is impossible and duly constituted local authorities are unable to control the situation, to engage temporarily in activities that are necessary to quell large-scale, unexpected civil disturbances" under two conditions.

The conditions include military support needed "to prevent significant loss of life or wanton destruction of property and are necessary to restore governmental function and public order." A second use is when federal, state and local authorities "are unable or decline to provide adequate protection for federal property or federal governmental functions."

"Federal action, including the use of federal military forces, is authorized when necessary to protect the federal property or functions," the directive states.

Military assistance can include loans of arms, ammunition, vessels and aircraft. The directive states clearly that it is for engaging civilians during times of unrest.

Two good quotes from the folks who wrote our rule book.

"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
- Thomas Jefferson, Commonplace Book (quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria), 1774-1776

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
Really? Posse ComeAndGetus is what floats you southern boys boat? Y'all are 40 years behind the times.
We went through that Possecomeandgitus end of the world stock up yer guns cus thir comin to git ya nonsense here in Minnesota in the late 70s early 80s. Possecomeandgitus makes as much sense as the rapture :lol2: :nod: :lol2:
Didn't happen then ain't gonna happen now. But if that's what floats yer Boat..... happy sailing.

Son of Butch":2nmgbyp8 said:
Really? Posse ComeAndGetus is what floats you southern boys boat? Y'all are 40 years behind the times.
We went through that Possecomeandgitus end of the world stock up yer guns cus thir comin to git ya nonsense here in Minnesota in the late 70s early 80s. Possecomeandgitus makes as much sense as the rapture :lol2: :nod: :lol2:
Didn't happen then ain't gonna happen now. But if that's what floats yer Boat..... happy sailing.

Butch you better hope for your sake that you're right on both counts.

Son of Butch":31sjmqgj said:

Please spread the word butch. Tell everybody you know what a bunch of igorrant paranoid rednecks we are. Tell them to stay away , don't go south. Contact the thousands of northerners who flood into texas everyday. Tell them they need to turn around and return to the great northern paradise.... Please

Son of Butch":u41jyol4 said:

We started stockpiling after the civil war here in the south. The Yankees are so far behind they have to have the government's help.

between that, Hillary, black lives matter, and Isis, if you think being prepared is funny, I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

I bought another AR yesterday and I'll probably buy more ammo this week.

SJB":2mb0dtkn said:
between that, Hillary, black lives matter, and Isis, if you think being prepared is funny, I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

I bought another AR yesterday and I'll probably buy more ammo this week.
I had a friend wanting 20 AR's this week as an investment for the future. He wanted them to be new in the box. He wanted Colt or Bushmaster. I could not get 20 of either from the wholesaler. There is a limit and most of what they had was one of a brand or was out of stock on most. That should tell you something.

The commentary by Steve Burch should be entitled, "Whistling Dixie".

I have to respect you southern rednecks, "I is one" but I am skeptical of his loose speculation.

6 months or so ago, one of the gun mags covered all that crap. Explained the ins and outs and whys and it made sense to me. And it wasn;t a conspiracy to take over the country by the feds.

inyati13":17ur3f7c said:

I have to respect you southern rednecks, "I is one" but I am skeptical of his loose speculation.

Since this is the coffee shop, I'll bite. Exactly which of his comments do you consider to be loose speculation?

SJB":1599qzhh said:
inyati13":1599qzhh said:

Since this is the coffee shop, I'll bite. Exactly which of his comments do you consider to be loose speculation?

SJB. The editorial portends of a government conspiracy; the coming of an apocalypse led by the government against the people.

That is loose speculation. IMO.

People are fickle. If terrorist attack, people complain that the government does not respond with the full force and fury of a modern army. Yet, if an agency buys a store of Glock .40 S&W Arms and Ammunition, we are defenseless to a government meant to leave us defenseless.

Doubly dangerous is their concerted efforts to leave us all defenseless; at the mercy of either terrorists with guns, or an armed government that continues to stray further from the protections supposedly guaranteed by our Constitution.

Right up front, I haven't fact checked his assertions. I kind of find them hard to believe.

But if true, I don't think the IRS is going be responding to a terrorist attack anytime soon. Same for the Smithsonian and the US Mint.

I'm not a tinfoil type. But IF the report is accurate, don't you think that the IRS being armed is a little odd, and deserving of further scrutiny?

Latest posts