Black Vulture Relief Act introduced

Help Support CattleToday:

Dusty Britches

Reaction score
BEEF Today article

It's about dang time! Please contact your reps to support this bill.

The bill would allow livestock producers the ability to "take" the black vultures.
Mar 09, 2023

It's not hard to find a cattle producer who has had a problem with black vultures and the threats and damage they pose to the livestock.
The bipartisan Black Vulture Relief Act, led by Rep. John Rose (R-TN) and Rep. Darren Soto (D-FL) has been introduced.

It would allow a cattle producer to take black vultures that pose a threat to livestock. It also institutes a report that producers submit annually detailing the number of vultures they took.

The National Cattlemen's Beef Association announced they are welcoming the legislation.

"Across the country, cattle producers are coping with extreme input costs and the worst inflation rate in 40 years. Livestock deaths due to black vultures are a financial loss that no one can afford right now," said NCBA Director of Government Affairs Sigrid Johannes. "Giving producers greater flexibility on black vulture management means one less financial burden to worry about. We appreciate Congressman Rose and Congressman Soto's leadership and commonsense approach to controlling this abundant predator species."

The bill would allow a cattle producer to "take" (capture, kill, disperse, or transport) black vultures that pose a risk to livestock. Additionally, the bill reduces permitting burdens and red tape by instituting a simple report that producers submit once per year detailing the number of black vultures they took. Streamlining the system and lifting the cap on number of black vultures that producers can take is a commonsense approach to managing a fully recovered, aggressive, predator species.

"Black vultures have developed into a lethal predator for newborn calves, costing Tennessee cattle producers thousands of dollars in lost revenue each year. We appreciate Congressman Rose's bill as a significant tool to help control the over-population of these predators," said Tennessee Cattlemen's Association Executive Director Charles Hord.

Black vulture depredation rates have increased across the Southeast in recent years, surpassing 30 percent in some states like Florida.

"The Florida Cattlemen's Association appreciates Congressman Soto's co-sponsorship of this commonsense bill," said Jim Handley, executive vice president of the Florida Cattlemen's Association. "The economic loss to Florida cattle ranchers from black vultures is significant every year, and we thank Congressman Soto for taking action to assist our industry with this legislation."

Background
Cattle producers have experienced firsthand the devastating effects of vulture depredation:

Danny Clark, Lawrenceburg, TN: "Lawrence County livestock producers have been experiencing issues with black vultures preying on newly born calves for some time. Economic loss in addition to the time and labor spent during calving season for these producers is devastating. Government approved permits…allowing producers to use lethal means to control these preying birds is also a challenge…I know this year these black vultures have been the cause of [death for] at least one calf and damage to one cow as well, along with others in previous years."

Laura Wallace, Spencer, TN: "These buzzards have gotten four calves in one season, putting tremendous strain on my little 97-acre operation…The [price of] diesel, fertilizer, fencing, feed, 24D [herbicide] have all gone up."

Mark Russell, DVM, Tullahoma, TN: "Last year I found one newborn dead [calf] with its eyes eaten out. This year I came up on over 30 vultures in the field behind my house."

Jeff Russell, Kingston, TN: "During calving season…we have constant problems with vultures loitering in our pastures. I did lose one calf so far this year. When I found it there were 40-50 vultures in the pasture and in surrounding trees. Every time a cow gives birth the vultures are surrounding it and pestering the cow. We attempt to scare them off, but they have become more brazen and will return within minutes. The population appears to be out of balance. There are too many and the stress it is causing my cows is affecting their wellbeing and the safety of my newly born calves. Help is needed with this issue as it continues to get worse."

A. T. Burchell, Columbia, TN: "I have a 200 head beef cattle operation in Columbia, Tennessee, and we have had a continual problem with black vultures attacking newly born calves."

I wonder how that will balance against current federal migratory regs if it is only left up to Interior Sec to make final determination??

How long before bird lovers start a tirade about how important these species are?

Wasn't aware of this "black vulture issue" and killing stock till I read this post. We've got turkey vultures of course up here, but they're obviously not the same bird. Seems to me they ought to be labeled as an "invasive species" that will need to be controlled. From what I was able to find online, your best bet as a natural predator would be red tailed hawks predating on their young.

Here's an interesting idea:

Wonder if setting up some hot wires over a dead carcass like a bug zapper could be effective? Problem is, you'd also zap the bald eagles and turkey vultures. Chances are, this "effigy" would also tend to deter them???...

Wasn't aware of this "black vulture issue" and killing stock till I read this post. We've got turkey vultures of course up here, but they're obviously not the same bird. Seems to me they ought to be labeled as an "invasive species" that will need to be controlled. From what I was able to find online, your best bet as a natural predator would be red tailed hawks predating on their young.

Wonder if setting up some hot wires over a dead carcass like a bug zapper could be effective? Problem is, you'd also zap the bald eagles and turkey vultures. Chances are, this "effigy" would also tend to deter them???...

We have had black buzzards for quite a while here. Seems like they have crowded out the turkey buzzards.
I don't think red tailed hawks are a credible control as we are thick with them too, and the buzzards are thriving.
There are black buzzard roosts all over our town,

The natural enemy of the black vultures ARe the black rifles.
SSS
Gonna take some form of legislation to make that legal and to avoid the potential fine... From the sound of it, they should be declared an invasive... and give the public free range to try to control them? How big a problem have they become? How cagey are they if you were to try to "control them" by hunting? I suppose you don't "really" know... because you're not able currently to aggressively attempt to go after them.... so with the current state, you can't know how much of an impact that might be able to have on their behavior?

Shoot, shovel, and shut up?

Glad I live up north where they SO FAR haven't moved to. The cold does help to keep the riff raff out! I expect that eventually they will find their way up here though too, unless ya'll can get on top of 'em there before they do.

There's a cell phone tower about 5 miles from my place that the black vultures go to roost. In the evening or in the early morning you can see all of the cross beams of the tower covered with those menacing birds. It's a problem that's only getting worse.

There's a cell phone tower about 5 miles from my place that the black vultures go to roost. In the evening or in the early morning you can see all of the cross beams of the tower covered with those menacing birds. It's a problem that's only getting worse.
Hook that sucker up with a trigger to be the bug zapper! Once they're all nice and settled in to roosting, light 'er up!

I've been wondering if facial recognition technology could be used...

Also knowing where they roost, going in and putting electrical wires in during the days and after they come in to roost at night zapping the entire flock. Do it as a pest control service. Don't want to kill eagles or turkey vultures...

The natural enemy of the black vultures ARe the black rifles.
SSS

And natural enemies of black rifles are friends of black buzzards - the federal government.

Earlier this year my neighbor lost a heifer in calving. There must have been 100+ black buzzards on her. And at least 75 around my yearling heifers which were over 300 yards away. (I used to have a photo but I deleted it.) There was absolutely no reason for them to be thick as thieves around my healthy heifers. Thankfully my neighbor drug the dead one off and either buried her or burned her. The buzzards left immediately.

BEEF Today article

It's about dang time! Please contact your reps to support this bill.

The bill would allow livestock producers the ability to "take" the black vultures.
Mar 09, 2023

It's not hard to find a cattle producer who has had a problem with black vultures and the threats and damage they pose to the livestock.
The bipartisan Black Vulture Relief Act, led by Rep. John Rose (R-TN) and Rep. Darren Soto (D-FL) has been introduced.

It would allow a cattle producer to take black vultures that pose a threat to livestock. It also institutes a report that producers submit annually detailing the number of vultures they took.

The National Cattlemen's Beef Association announced they are welcoming the legislation.

"Across the country, cattle producers are coping with extreme input costs and the worst inflation rate in 40 years. Livestock deaths due to black vultures are a financial loss that no one can afford right now," said NCBA Director of Government Affairs Sigrid Johannes. "Giving producers greater flexibility on black vulture management means one less financial burden to worry about. We appreciate Congressman Rose and Congressman Soto's leadership and commonsense approach to controlling this abundant predator species."

The bill would allow a cattle producer to "take" (capture, kill, disperse, or transport) black vultures that pose a risk to livestock. Additionally, the bill reduces permitting burdens and red tape by instituting a simple report that producers submit once per year detailing the number of black vultures they took. Streamlining the system and lifting the cap on number of black vultures that producers can take is a commonsense approach to managing a fully recovered, aggressive, predator species.

"Black vultures have developed into a lethal predator for newborn calves, costing Tennessee cattle producers thousands of dollars in lost revenue each year. We appreciate Congressman Rose's bill as a significant tool to help control the over-population of these predators," said Tennessee Cattlemen's Association Executive Director Charles Hord.

Black vulture depredation rates have increased across the Southeast in recent years, surpassing 30 percent in some states like Florida.

"The Florida Cattlemen's Association appreciates Congressman Soto's co-sponsorship of this commonsense bill," said Jim Handley, executive vice president of the Florida Cattlemen's Association. "The economic loss to Florida cattle ranchers from black vultures is significant every year, and we thank Congressman Soto for taking action to assist our industry with this legislation."

Background
Cattle producers have experienced firsthand the devastating effects of vulture depredation:

Danny Clark, Lawrenceburg, TN: "Lawrence County livestock producers have been experiencing issues with black vultures preying on newly born calves for some time. Economic loss in addition to the time and labor spent during calving season for these producers is devastating. Government approved permits…allowing producers to use lethal means to control these preying birds is also a challenge…I know this year these black vultures have been the cause of [death for] at least one calf and damage to one cow as well, along with others in previous years."

Laura Wallace, Spencer, TN: "These buzzards have gotten four calves in one season, putting tremendous strain on my little 97-acre operation…The [price of] diesel, fertilizer, fencing, feed, 24D [herbicide] have all gone up."

Mark Russell, DVM, Tullahoma, TN: "Last year I found one newborn dead [calf] with its eyes eaten out. This year I came up on over 30 vultures in the field behind my house."

Jeff Russell, Kingston, TN: "During calving season…we have constant problems with vultures loitering in our pastures. I did lose one calf so far this year. When I found it there were 40-50 vultures in the pasture and in surrounding trees. Every time a cow gives birth the vultures are surrounding it and pestering the cow. We attempt to scare them off, but they have become more brazen and will return within minutes. The population appears to be out of balance. There are too many and the stress it is causing my cows is affecting their wellbeing and the safety of my newly born calves. Help is needed with this issue as it continues to get worse."

A. T. Burchell, Columbia, TN: "I have a 200 head beef cattle operation in Columbia, Tennessee, and we have had a continual problem with black vultures attacking newly born calves."
not sure if you know...farm bureau insurance has a way of getting you a permit to kill buzzards who are killing calves....i have used it last year and renewed my permit 2 weeks ago...farm bureau handles this program regardless of who you have insurance with..they may not know locally if they have not encountered the program before...but it is a program...i know if you are like me, you will take care of business as needed, but you can do it legally, federally , if you get a permit...i am in Mississippi..

And natural enemies of black rifles are friends of black buzzards - the federal government.

Earlier this year my neighbor lost a heifer in calving. There must have been 100+ black buzzards on her. And at least 75 around my yearling heifers which were over 300 yards away. (I used to have a photo but I deleted it.) There was absolutely no reason for them to be thick as thieves around my healthy heifers. Thankfully my neighbor drug the dead one off and either buried her or burned her. The buzzards left immediately.
not sure if you know...farm bureau insurance has a way of getting you a permit to kill buzzards who are killing calves....i have used it last year and renewed my permit 2 weeks ago...farm bureau handles this program regardless of who you have insurance with..they may not know locally if they have not encountered the program before...but it is a program...i know if you are like me, you will take care of business as needed, but you can do it legally, federally , if you get a permit...i am in Mississippi..

Gonna take some form of legislation to make that legal and to avoid the potential fine... From the sound of it, they should be declared an invasive... and give the public free range to try to control them? How big a problem have they become? How cagey are they if you were to try to "control them" by hunting? I suppose you don't "really" know... because you're not able currently to aggressively attempt to go after them.... so with the current state, you can't know how much of an impact that might be able to have on their behavior?

Shoot, shovel, and shut up?

Glad I live up north where they SO FAR haven't moved to. The cold does help to keep the riff raff out! I expect that eventually they will find their way up here though too, unless ya'll can get on top of 'em there before they do.

Lost a calf 2 years ago to them and not sure if that's not what got the one this year . Had 2 eagles feeding on the carcass

Latest posts