The Ouachita Desert

Help Support CattleToday:

backhoeboogie":10kytaak said:
Caustic Burno":10kytaak said:
Little over 5 inches so far today and more coming. That is over 9 inches since Friday night. Driveway up the hill is going to take several day's to put back together. That old Massey of mine has done it so many times it can almost fix it by itself now. That old massey and I have wore those rock's out dragging them back up the hill.

Braggart !!! My pastures are in the donut again. All around me there's rain.

I finally got up to 1.5 inches out of 4 attempts over the last 4-5 days of pass me on the left - pass me on the right - pass right over me then start.

Watched it come in on the radar and I kid you not, it took 25 minutes for it to totally encircle us before it did start to rain.

Only an 1 1/2 inches so far today and more forecast dang near everyday for a week;
One extreme follows another. Got hay on the ground wouldn't you know.
I only have 76 rolls so far for 12 cow's. I am getting a 150 rolls on hand before I buy any more cattle.

Ouachita":rndob5im said:
1.4 inches total so far, and just started raining again 5 minutes ago. It's odd to look at the radar and see orange and red over my house, but only sprinkles, or nothing. Like it evaporates before it gets to the ground. Well at least my electric fences are working better now. Before this rain, I drove a few more ground rods and didn't do much good. It works now
Thought about you guys while watching the radar last night and seeing some promising clouds in the area. We got about 1.5 inches Sunday and yesterday PM. More in forecast today late.

I dumped 4 inches out of the gauge yesterday and just dumped 2 more out . But like cb said everything is saturated and it's running off now . But I won't be complaining because I know how fast it can change .

I dumped 4 inches out of the gauge yesterday and just dumped 2 more out . But like cb said everything is saturated and it's running off now . But I won't be complaining because I know how fast it can change .

1982vett":1xbiizv1 said:
backhoeboogie":1xbiizv1 said:
Caustic Burno":1xbiizv1 said:
Little over 5 inches so far today and more coming. That is over 9 inches since Friday night. Driveway up the hill is going to take several day's to put back together. That old Massey of mine has done it so many times it can almost fix it by itself now. That old massey and I have wore those rock's out dragging them back up the hill.

Braggart !!! My pastures are in the donut again. All around me there's rain.

I finally got up to 1.5 inches out of 4 attempts over the last 4-5 days of pass me on the left - pass me on the right - pass right over me then start.

Watched it come in on the radar and I kid you not, it took 25 minutes for it to totally encircle us before it did start to rain.

Dang vette, you feeling ok? Dizzy? I thought you lived in the Sahara
Desert. :D

Happy you all are getting some rain. We've only had
.3" for the month so far. And we normally get most our annual rain June July August.

Hook....sucks to be so unlucky don't it....April May and June were were 7 or 8 inches short and we did get another 1.2 Tuesday evening and some light drizzle yesterday evening so it will help short term. Gotta keep it coming to really do much good past next week. Spotty around the area, but some have been getting some decent showers and looking pretty good.

It was bad dry here since the first of the year. But the last 2months we've had 10" so far and it makes everything in the cow business easy. Hope y'all get some soon.

Been hearing thunder for over an hour. Just started raining hard. Have a 20% chance almost everyday in the forecast. Grass is turning a better shade of green

No chance in the forecast until next Friday with temps in the mid 90s. SO glad that we found the rest of the hay we needed last night!!!!! I'm definitely doing a happy dance :banana: :banana: for that (tried a rain dance, and all we got was dust falling from a truck going down the drive).

9 days later.......(those pics at the beginning of this topic were taken July 4. These were taken last evening)
We have had a total of approx 2.25 inches in several small showers and thunderstorms, over the past 6 days. It has made a difference, although I know it can change right back like it was in a few days. Seems like we are back in a normal pattern of summer time late afternoon/evening pop-ups. Got 4 tenths last evening, right after I took these pics
This first picture is taken in the same spot that the first pic in my OP was taken, just not zoomed in as close
007.jpg

008-2.jpg

Cows haven't been at round bale feeder in 3 days now
012.jpg

Girls are thankful to still have the horses
023-2.jpg

And I thought this view was awesome, looking west over my house
046.jpg

I didn't notice the image in this picture until I was uploading to photobucket. Looks like a bird, or a plane, or...
048.jpg

Just heard thunder. Wind picked up and blew my old metal lawn chairs across the yard. This morning we had a 20% chance of rain. Just checked weather and that been upgraded to 50%, and we have good heavy showers all around :banana:

Ouachita":2bpxmnpt said:
Just heard thunder. Wind picked up and blew my old metal lawn chairs across the yard. This morning we had a 20% chance of rain. Just checked weather and that been upgraded to 50%, and we have good heavy showers all around :banana:

Hope you get all you want. Just got another 1 1/2 inches that is a grand total of 15 1/2 inches in the past seven day's.

Ouachita said:
CB, I really appreciate your straight forward advice and opinions. I've been thinking of a small irrigation project. I have really good pond/tank. Its 3 surface acres and 16 feet deep, spring fed, with about 300 acres watershed (when it rains). It holds it's level well, and when it rains, it does fill up quick. I'm thinking about a submersible pump, installed into a PVC pipe, held up with a styrofoam block. Pipe and hoses would run out to the rainbird type sprinkler heads on top of "T" post. All temporary of course (remove for winter). I think I can irrigate 5 to 7 acres for a $1500-2000 cost. Maybe less if I hit the auctions just right. Wont happen this year. Thinking it might be good to for limit grazing to save hay, add nutrition, for times such as this. I drilled a new well this spring, so cattle have fresh trough water. Any advice and opinion will be well recieved.
020-1.jpg

Ouachita, what kinda bull is that on the far left, have papers on him? ;-) :lol: :lol2: :cowboy:

Yep, I have papers, just never bothered to register cause I haven't figured out a name for this new dual purpose breed I'm working on. :lol2: Any ideas appreciated

Don't get lulled into the drought is over because of a rain or two.
We are still seeing effect's of the drought got 15 inches of rain last week and the roads are already dusty.
We were 4 feet behind in just one year of a three year drought you don't recover from that in one year.
You start figureing how much hay it will take to carry you till next spring that is the only safety net you have.
Secondly how much damage are you willing to take on your pasture's.

I'm all ears CB. I hear you loud and clear. I've already made up my mind to cull down to 10. Just waitin' till these calves put on a few more pounds. Thanks for the hard advice :tiphat: . Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go water my ground rods :(

Latest posts