The Ouachita Desert

Help Support CattleToday:

pdfangus":3o8kb6o8 said:
he is just trying to make me miss inbredrednecks wisdom....

What in the he11 is that suppose to mean? I was just suggesting to him what I would sale first if I were in his situation and stating a fact about my operation. I have never spoke ill against anyone on this board and now you're gonna go and hit a man below the belt like that. :bang:

circlew":15uu7z82 said:
If the momma can't protect her calf she needs to hit the road.

Circlew....
this was the quote that sort of pushed me over the edge toward meanness.....
I do apologize as in sober reflection I realize that what I wrote was very unkind to you....

but as others have testified guardian animals often have a place in the operation and even good mamas cannot always protect a calf.

PDF I should have specified more that on my place if the momma can't protect the calf and she had the ability then she is gone. I understand that at certain times she may not be able to but that is where good fences and lead come in. I have a little more aggressive type cattle. My tigers are always on the prowl and they keep everything out that doesn't belong.

In our herd the cows were pretty good too. The same cows that would let my little 35 aussie drive them anywhere would attack a strange dog as a group. actually my biggest predatory problem was always buzzards at calving time.....but now the coyotes and bears both are much more abundant. I may be getting a jack to breed mares to for mules and if I do I will put him in with the cows. keeps him away from my saddle horses and yet he can get some exercise and live a bit free.

How could I ever get rid of this??? :???:

IMG_0850.jpg

Does anybody know how much a jenny eats? I have no jacks. I rarely see the jennies eating at the hay ring, or the tub. The horses; that's a different story.

circlew":46i1uakf said:
I think I would sell those donkeys. A lot of hay and grass being lost. :2cents:

I ask for advice, and you gave it. I'm sorry I did not say that earlier. The donkeys are the least of my problems. They are not the deal that will make or break this from working. Donkeys have no $$$$ value around here. Sure, I could probably give them away, but my predator problem would return. I live in a comparatively wild area than most of you. Majority of my property line is shared with National Forest. Bottom line is this; as long as I have cattle, I'll have donkeys. It's the horses that will go first. Thank you for your advice though :tiphat:

Hey, we have the best chance of rain today and tomorrow, than we have had since early May :D

Ouachita":2u1ecay8 said:
circlew":2u1ecay8 said:
I think I would sell those donkeys. A lot of hay and grass being lost. :2cents:

I ask for advice, and you gave it. I'm sorry I did not say that earlier. The donkeys are the least of my problems. They are not the deal that will make or break this from working. Donkeys have no $$$$ value around here. Sure, I could probably give them away, but my predator problem would return. I live in a comparatively wild area than most of you. Majority of my property line is shared with National Forest. Bottom line is this; as long as I have cattle, I'll have donkeys. It's the horses that will go first. Thank you for your advice though :tiphat:

Hey, we have the best chance of rain today and tomorrow, than we have had since early May :D

Hope ya get all you need Ouachita. Nice looking country you live in.

Dogs are worse than coyotes IMO--they aren't afraid of coming around humans like 'yotes.
I have a brother than lives in Ark but owns property here and down on Bolivar Peninsula Texas too, and passes within 40 miles of here when he goes from Little Rock to Bolivar. He is legendary for carrying rain and bad weather wherever he travels--but usually, too much rain. Still, If I could figure out a way to make $$ off of him I'd try to rent him out someway. It rained here yesterday and a little last night--he called this morning to tell me he had travelled thru last night on his way down to Bolivar. Figures.
I too live right in middle of a National Forest--They've never given me any problems tho, except to ask me not to run equipment for a couple weeks in the spring because some kind of rare woodpecker was in the mating season. I can read from my front porch, those yellow and black "National Forest Land Beyond This Point" signs.

Down pour started 1:11pm. still raining hard as I type. Praise God! I did clean the caked up pollen and dust out of the rain gauge this morning

Ouachita":34yoy544 said:
Down pour started 1:11pm. still raining hard as I type. Praise God! I did clean the caked up pollen and dust out of the rain gauge this morning

Amazing how fast we learn how small we are and all that work we thought was important until the rain dries up for a year of three.
Hope you keep getting it got 4 inches here last night.

4 inches, WOW!!! Well that first round was short lived, lasted 22 minutes and got exactly 1/4 inch. Rain just started again and looks to be more organized. I would normally be out there standing in it, but the lightning is severe. Out checking cows late yesterday evening, and watched the mountain top catch fire due to dozens of strikes in about a 5 minute period. That mountain top, 4 miles west of me, got rain last night, and the fire was out this AM before daylight

We are just past the 1/2 inch mark and still raining. It has slowed up a bit, which is ok. My Texas tank (pond) is only about 6-8 inches below static level. I need more soak than run-off right now.

Little over 5 inches so far today and more coming. That is over 9 inches since Friday night. Driveway up the hill is going to take several day's to put back together. That old Massey of mine has done it so many times it can almost fix it by itself now. That old massey and I have wore those rock's out dragging them back up the hill.

1.4 inches total so far, and just started raining again 5 minutes ago. It's odd to look at the radar and see orange and red over my house, but only sprinkles, or nothing. Like it evaporates before it gets to the ground. Well at least my electric fences are working better now. Before this rain, I drove a few more ground rods and didn't do much good. It works now

Caustic Burno":3v3v8her said:
Little over 5 inches so far today and more coming. That is over 9 inches since Friday night. Driveway up the hill is going to take several day's to put back together. That old Massey of mine has done it so many times it can almost fix it by itself now. That old massey and I have wore those rock's out dragging them back up the hill.

You must be livin right. Maybe too right. I just checked the radar down your way, and that's all the evidence I need to know beyond a shadow of doubt, that is NOT your picture that Isom posted. If it were, the good Lord wouldn't be blessing you. Lessen He's trying to drown you ;-)
CB, ole buddy, it's time to get on the mule and go open that north gate. You've kept it penned in to long. Time to share.

Caustic Burno":5xwaiu8c said:

Braggart !!! My pastures are in the donut again. All around me there's rain.

Ouachita":rkj1e5gi said:
Caustic Burno":rkj1e5gi said:

You must be livin right. Maybe too right. I just checked the radar down your way, and that's all the evidence I need to know beyond a shadow of doubt, that is NOT your picture that Isom posted. If it were, the good Lord wouldn't be blessing you. Lessen He's trying to drown you ;-)
CB, ole buddy, it's time to get on the mule and go open that north gate. You've kept it penned in to long. Time to share.

I opened the gate and it all ran around the fence and headed south.
Got another 2 inches last night and it is raining right now.

backhoeboogie":2wtlixpe said:
Caustic Burno":2wtlixpe said:

Braggart !!! My pastures are in the donut again. All around me there's rain.

I am willing to share, because what has been coming down lately is doing no one any good.
It has rained so much here now it is just heading for the creek as run off . I would like to scatter this out over about a month. We have to take what we are given as we don't have much say in the matter.

Latest posts