Temps to kill oats

Help Support CattleToday:

I've seen pics of the down trees south of waco. Bad deal. They are extending the cold weather already in to late next week. Another one behind this one.

Asking for a friend, what is the proper way to break ice off a water trough? 😁
Axe or a hammer. Piece of metal bar like rebar or 1" tubing works good too.

I've seen pics of the down trees south of waco. Bad deal. They are extending the cold weather already in to late next week. Another one behind this one.

Whatever blunt object is readily available: sledge hammer, splitting maul, ax, T-post, foot,pipe, etc.

I might be wrong. A ski mask? How cold is it there? I don't wear a ski mask and it's -40 every morning here. Of course the end of my nose is getting burnt, lol.
Has been -40 or colder every morning until today. It's spring like today, up to about -12C, feels like bare arm weather.

I like my cows to be drinking out of tanks (man made pond) or creeks.
I do have one group drinking out of a 8' diameter trough right now. I just turned the water off at the well. This morning it was about half empty and froze over....I turned the water back on and filled it back up......................

We still have tomorrow -40 at night, Sunday -30 overnight then a little warmer. I'm so over it - fixing frozen waterers and stuff not wanting to start. Lucky we only have about 10 calves at work cause the barn boss won't kick any pairs out.

I do have one group drinking out of a 8' diameter trough right now. I just turned the water off at the well. This morning it was about half empty and froze over....I turned the water back on and filled it back up......................
We do lots of drain back systems if the well and trough are close. Use a submersible pump and knock or drill the foot valve out. Control with a pill switch. Just have to free the pill out of the ice and usually good for the day.

Same here. I tried to move all the cattle where they could get to stock ponds but have a couple little groups depending on troughs.

Break the chainsaw out, have her done in no time.

20180102_145809.jpg

Stormy Kromer hat. Rancher model. It has to be serious cold to wear it. Makes my head sweat.

I have a fast flowing river through my fields. It has to get below 0 and stay there to freeze it.

Tank in the front pasture here at the house froze over last night. 1400 gallon troughs in two other pastures have been frozen over since Thursday and we broke an axe yesterday.....good thing we have multiple axes and sledges. Texas isn't used to days and days of sub freezing weather.

Latest posts