What will kill this weed?

Help Support CattleToday:

LauraleesFarm

Reaction score
What will kill this weed? I have patches of this vetchy weed in the higher drier areas of my hay meadow. Have sprayed a stronger than usual mixed round of Grazon Next and some patches died, some just stunned back and regrew, and others unaffected. It chokes out the bermuda and seems to thrive on drought.

I have on hand: MSM, Remedy, and Duracor (I think that's the name). I'm hoping one of those will kill it. What do you all recommend?

Attachments

• IMG_4574.jpg
    IMG_4574.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_4575.jpg
    IMG_4575.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 84
Try and find a young seedling and look to see how many seed leaves. Grasses just have one. The ones that have 2 seed leaves (dicotyledons) are the ones affected by the broad leaf herbicides like Grazon.

Ken

A better picture might help, I think I have something like it but have no name for it.

Just be aware that Eraser is a generic Roundup. It is non-selective - will kill most everything, desirable or not. Generally not used on a pasture or hay field unless you are starting over.

Went and blew the picture up. It may be carpet grass. It will choke out bermuda. Grazon and 2,4-D are not going to control this grassy weed. Hurleyjd's suggestion of glyphosate is your best bet. We used a pint/acre of RoundUp on crabgrass in a bermuda hayfield with great success. We sprayed 3 days after cutting and baling the bermuda before much regrowth. That rate may ding and yellow the bermuda, but it is 1/10th the rate to kill bermuda.

Just be aware that Eraser is a generic Roundup. It is non-selective - will kill most everything, desirable or not. Generally not used on a pasture or hay field unless you are starting over.
Yep. Eraser has been around a long time and is just one of many different brands of Glyphosates after Monsanto's Roundup ownership patent expired in 2003. Eraser is a wide spectrum, NON-selective herbicide labeled at 41% glyphosate.

Went and blew the picture up. It may be carpet grass. It will choke out bermuda. Grazon and 2,4-D are not going to control this grassy weed. Hurleyjd's suggestion of glyphosate is your best bet. We used a pint/acre of RoundUp on crabgrass in a bermuda hayfield with great success. We sprayed 3 days after cutting and baling the bermuda before much regrowth. That rate may ding and yellow the bermuda, but it is 1/10th the rate to kill bermuda.
Works on sandburs in Bermuda too.

Here are better pictures. It has a taproot. The stems are almost woody, but thin. It gets about 6-8" tall.

Attachments

• IMG_4799.jpg
    IMG_4799.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_4801.jpg
    IMG_4801.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_4802.jpg
    IMG_4802.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 45
It does not match the pictures of carpetgrass that I found online. See new pictures uploaded.

Latest posts