What will kill this weed?

Help Support CattleToday:

What will kill this weed? I have patches of this vetchy weed in the higher drier areas of my hay meadow. Have sprayed a stronger than usual mixed round of Grazon Next and some patches died, some just stunned back and regrew, and others unaffected. It chokes out the bermuda and seems to thrive on drought.
I have on hand: MSM, Remedy, and Duracor (I think that's the name). I'm hoping one of those will kill it. What do you all recommend?
Did you use a surfactant with your sprayer mix. It is a broad leaf weed what kind escapes me. It looks like a weed that we had at one time called poor joe but searching for poor joe it does not look like what was called poor joe in my area.

I used my phone app and it looks to possibly be a member of the Oldenlandia genus also known as snake needle grass. I have an android and can use google to make an image search using the camera icon next to the microphone. It works great for plants and insects.

What is your soil pH? Is it newly cleared or recently disturbed ground?
The reason I was asking is because I had the same or very similar "weed" growing on some newly cleared ground about 7 years ago.
Our typical soil pH is average 4.5 on ground like mine; this was in pine timber and then BOOM……..the "Weeds and Disturbed Mother's of Same" ruled my new ground for a couple years. (They are a music band). Look it up.

I didn't have the money to lime it until the next year, then I put broiler litter on the second year.
That "weed" went away, mostly, by the third year. I do still have some patches of it, mostly on the steep places and low places the spreader trucks couldn't get to very well.

My point is, and it's the same point that took my hard head and many years to learn…………..
You can spend money on herbicide and fertilizer. You can spend a LOT of money and TIME applying herbicide and fertilizer.

OR…….you can get your pH right, and then with normalish methods of management, you can handle this to your satisfaction. Might even squeeze a fishing trip or two in there.

Study your soil and adjust the pH first, then the nutrient for the forage you intend to grow. You can always spot spray if something begins to look ugly.

I'm not anti-chemical or anti-spray. I love the stuff. In fact, I use a spray rig around the house to manage the growth, so I never have to use a weed wacker again.

Spraying a grazing area for cattle seems a short term solution to a permanent problem. Fix the soil first, then tweak it as needed with the herbicide.

The reason I was asking is because I had the same or very similar "weed" growing on some newly cleared ground about 7 years ago.
Our typical soil pH is average 4.5 on ground like mine; this was in pine timber and then BOOM……..the "Weeds and Disturbed Mother's of Same" ruled my new ground for a couple years. (They are a music band). Look it up.

I didn't have the money to lime it until the next year, then I put broiler litter on the second year.
That "weed" went away, mostly, by the third year. I do still have some patches of it, mostly on the steep places and low places the spreader trucks couldn't get to very well.

My point is, and it's the same point that took my hard head and many years to learn…………..
You can spend money on herbicide and fertilizer. You can spend a LOT of money and TIME applying herbicide and fertilizer.

OR…….you can get your pH right, and then with normalish methods of management, you can handle this to your satisfaction. Might even squeeze a fishing trip or two in there.

Study your soil and adjust the pH first, then the nutrient for the forage you intend to grow. You can always spot spray if something begins to look ugly.

I'm not anti-chemical or anti-spray. I love the stuff. In fact, I use a spray rig around the house to manage the growth, so I never have to use a weed wacker again.

Spraying a grazing area for cattle seems a short term solution to a permanent problem. Fix the soil first, then tweak it as needed with the herbicide.
I agree except when it comes to wild raddish, it germinates year round and loves all soild and ph conditions. Luckily goats eat it though.

Had the soil tested about 2 years ago. It needed 1 ton/acre of lime and we put it on. It lacked nothing else. It is not newly disturbed, so long as you don't count the areas that the feral hogs had their way with,....

Had the soil tested about 2 years ago. It needed 1 ton/acre of lime and we put it on. It lacked nothing else. It is not newly disturbed, so long as you don't count the areas that the feral hogs had their way with,....

What will kill this weed? I have patches of this vetchy weed in the higher drier areas of my hay meadow. Have sprayed a stronger than usual mixed round of Grazon Next and some patches died, some just stunned back and regrew, and others unaffected. It chokes out the bermuda and seems to thrive on drought.

Did you use a surfactant with your sprayer mix. It is a broad leaf weed what kind escapes me. It looks like a weed that we had at one time called poor joe but searching for poor joe it does not look like what was called poor joe in my area.
I put a liberal amount of DAWN in the tank, like half a bottle.

Lauralees, Your weed id has been on my mind since you posted the newer pictures. The closest thing I could find is Poor Joe or common buttonweed. https://weedid.cals.vt.edu/image/1690/LARGE/

This one is hard to control and is going to take a 3 or 4 prong approach. PastureGuard has both fluroxpyr and triclopyr which are effective on woody species. The stem on your plant indicates it may be a woody type. You may want to spike it with a little MSM (only if you do not have bahia). Hope this helps

Lauralees, Your weed id has been on my mind since you posted the newer pictures. The closest thing I could find is Poor Joe or common buttonweed. https://weedid.cals.vt.edu/image/1690/LARGE/

This one is hard to control and is going to take a 3 or 4 prong approach. PastureGuard has both fluroxpyr and triclopyr which are effective on woody species. The stem on your plant indicates it may be a woody type. You may want to spike it with a little MSM (only if you do not have bahia). Hope this helps
I looked up poor joe and it does not have the same appearance or height. How much MSM would you put in a 500 gallon tank? I use 2-3 gallons of grazon per tank and travel at 4 mph....the meadow has very little bahia. Surprisingly, this weed cannot compete with the small patches of bahia, the bahia seems to dominate it where it is present.

I looked up poor joe and it does not have the same appearance or height. How much MSM would you put in a 500 gallon tank? I use 2-3 gallons of grazon per tank and travel at 4 mph....the meadow has very little bahia. Surprisingly, this weed cannot compete with the small patches of bahia, the bahia seems to dominate it where it is present.
Have you calibrated your sprayer? How many acres will you cover with 500 gallons of water. For effective weed control you need to be applying 17 to 20 gallons of material per acre. You should be in the 25 to 29 acre range per tank full. You are under dosing your Grazon. Label rate is 1.2 to 1.5 pints per acre. At 1.2 pts/acre you should be putting in 3.75 to 4.35 gallons of Grazon per tank full. At the 1.5 pts/acre rate you should be putting in 4.75 to 5.5 gallons of Grazon. I would mix in 2.5 ozs to 3 ozs of MSM per tank.

Latest posts