Broadcasting a mixture of oats and rye grass

Help Support CattleToday:

I posted about slinging oats and rye.

It is coming up. I had some up with in a week and some is just coming up last week. I slung it and dragged it so not a uniform depth. We had some rain right when I planted, then a light rain after the fert. It got over 3" last week good and slow. Down side is the cows are off it and its still warm enough for the pasture grass to grow so it's all mixed in.

Haven't been there in a week so hope to see some progress this weekend.

Last edited:
We've had the right amount of moisture and cooler temperatures. Ryegrass is thick as a hair on a dog's back. Haven't planted any in decades. Neighbor had oats pasture drilled in a couple weeks ago. It's really looking good. Clover is coming along nicely also. I've closed the gates on almost half my pasture, course I've opened up on some that hasn't had cattle on since May.

Last edited:
We've done both over the years on small patches for oats (during deer season) and large pastures with rye...the rye grass in the hay pastures has come back every year for as long as I can remember. The plots with oats had to be replanted every year. This is in east Texas. I have read that oats germinate best when soil temperatures are at about 50 degrees...they can germinate at 45 degrees but 50 is better...at least in Texas. However, the guy that bales my hay has planted a mixture of oats and wheat this year for winter grazing due to the low yield of hay (the drought was rough this year). The rye we planted was just broadcast on the ground and it comes up pretty good given decent rainfall. We ran a disc over the small plots where we wanted to plant oats and they did pretty good...again, dependent upon rainfall.

Latest posts