What type of grass weed

Help Support CattleToday:

Broomsedge bluestem is more the color of wheat. The seedheads (purple colored) do not look like broomsedge . Try looking up vaseygrass and see if it looks more like what you have.

Broom sedge. It gets that feathery head this time of year.

I hear a lot of folks around here call it sage grass. Is a local colloquialism the proper term?

Always wondered why they called it blue stem broomsedge because it has red stems. That's not in my pasture. It's out front of my barn. Every time we get a load of hay I sweep all the excess out in front of the barn so there is all kinds of stuff growing.
It has the reddish stems fall thru winter. Spring and summer, they're closer to blue/green color.

Looks like broomsedge to me. Grows in low ph soil.

Can also show up if soil K is low, even when pH is decent.
Correct on both counts. Broomsedge does well (better anyway) than other grasses when the AVAILABILITY of potassium (K) is low. The availability is obviously the result of the presence of K in the soil, but the availability of K to vegetation/plants is also impacted by the low pH within the soil, which binds the K within the soil and makes it unavailable to the plants. This is why you correct your pH (with lime) before you fertilize your pastures. Correcting the pH may alleviate nutrient (fertilization) deficiencies without the need for added fertilizer. Also take note, that if the pH of the soil is off, the addition of fertilizer to the soil may not correct the nutrient deficiency(ies) being observed because the added nutrients/fertilizer become bound up due to the low pH instead of becoming available to the plants.

Since you all know I ain't got no extension agent is this bluestem?

Looks like broomsedge to me. Grows in low ph soil.
Correct on both counts again. Also known as 'broomsedge bluestem', among other common/local names. Andropogon virginicus, not that we all walk around speaking Latin, 'would be' the "correct" name to call it to avoid any confusion among common names, although I much prefer the common name with some potential confusion vs trying to learn/speak some dead foreign language that makes me get my tongue tied up in knots. I actually took a class in Latin in HS (so long ago) that I have found useful over the decades since then, although I didn't do particularly well in it.

Attachments

• broomsedge.pdf
    131.3 KB · Views: 12
Correct on both counts. Broomsedge does well (better anyway) than other grasses when the AVAILABILITY of potassium (K) is low. The availability is obviously the result of the presence of K in the soil, but the availability of K to vegetation/plants is also impacted by the low pH within the soil, which binds the K within the soil and makes it unavailable to the plants. This is why you correct your pH (with lime) before you fertilize your pastures. Correcting the pH may alleviate nutrient (fertilization) deficiencies without the need for added fertilizer. Also take note, that if the pH of the soil is off, the addition of fertilizer to the soil may not correct the nutrient deficiency(ies) being observed because the added nutrients/fertilizer become bound up due to the low pH instead of becoming available to the plants.
Interesting how one affects the other and I know calcium and phosphorus also have a relationship when it comes to availability versus actual ability to use..
I recently learned, that the best melons grown in Texas are grown in an area with high K. And the biggest commercial producer said in an interview, "The 'saltier' the soil, the sweeter and juicier the melon will be".
I never knew that and he also recommended home gardens would grow better melons with some epsom salt added if the soil had low potassium. .

Now we return you back to the regularly scheduled program..

My older sister called me from East Texas this morning asking how to kill or control what many like to have in their yard. I'm not very familiar with it.
Crossvine

Bignonia capreolata L.

It's evidently a pretty nice flowering plant but is taking over her new yard, fences and trees.

Suggestions? (her primary desirable grass is Bahia if that is an issue.)

Last edited:
Interesting how one affects the other and I know calcium and phosphorus also have a relationship when it comes to availability versus actual ability to use..
I recently learned, that the best melons grown in Texas are grown in an area with high K. And the biggest commercial producer said in an interview, "The 'saltier' the soil, the sweeter and juicier the melon will be".
I never knew that and he also recommended home gardens would grow better melons with some epsom salt added if the soil had low potassium. .

My older sister called me from East Texas this morning asking how to kill or control what many like to have in their yard. I'm not very familiar with it.
Crossvine

Bignonia capreolata L.

It's evidently a pretty nice flowering plant but is taking over her new yard, fences and trees.

Pecos County! Coyanosa, TX 😄

yep.
This year, I may have eaten a rr gondola carload of Pecos cantaloupe but evidently now, the harvest season has ended.

Crossvine

Bignonia capreolata L.

Across the river in extreme SW Indiana there's a lot of sand and they grow a lot of melons. I don't know much about it but I do know they use a lot of pelletized lime. They also have sand burs. My grandpa grew up over there and talked about throwing them at other kids. Never seen one until a few years back, we're in heavy clay here, they are an evil little thing.

I was always told to cut the stem...if the cross-section is triangular, it is a sedge. If round, it is a grass. But I'm no grassologist.

Across the river in extreme SW Indiana there's a lot of sand and they grow a lot of melons. I don't know much about it but I do know they use a lot of pelletized lime. They also have sand burs. My grandpa grew up over there and talked about throwing them at other kids. Never seen one until a few years back, we're in heavy clay here, they are an evil little thing.
Personal experience: you do NOT want to step on a sand burr barefoot. Or even with a shoe for that matter. The literally require pliers to remove, from BOTH the shoe.....and the foot. I knew what the sand burr was, and yes it was in a 'clayey' area, but had never seen them there before.

Latest posts