What grass is this

Help Support CattleToday:

Probably one of the varieties of Barnyard Grass family.
Its coming up everywhere. Must have been in some hay somewhere. The cows are searching it out. I thought johnson grass was coming up in our fields since we did bale up a lot of it and fed a lot of is this last season. But, its not johnson.....

Its coming up everywhere. Must have been in some hay somewhere. The cows are searching it out. I thought johnson grass was coming up in our fields since we did bale up a lot of it and fed a lot of is this last season. But, its not johnson.....
I said one of the varieties because there are several varities in the Barnyard class of grasses according to the area. The proper name is Barnyard grass.

I said one of the varieties because there are several varities in the Barnyard class of grasses according to the area. The proper name is Barnyard grass.
i looked it up and sure enough, its there. Thanks. Do you know anything about this grass?

It's a summer annual. It's not really palatable and is considered a weed. I think I've seen one instance were there was enough of it within a pasture to be considered a problem (the pasture also had a lot of giant foxtail present). I see it around. I don't consider it a problem, but maybe a slight nuisance at times. Being an annual, you could control it with a pre-emergent herbicide in perennial grass pastures. That was my recommendation for the one time I did see it in a significant enough quantity to be a problem. That recommendation also happened to work for the giant foxtail which was also present, also generally not a significant problem, as it too is a summer annual.

Interesting they are searching it out. Could be something to do with the stage of development it's in making it more palatable. I wouldn't be concerned though as I've never heard of it being a problem nor have I ever read of any concerns tied to it. I've heard of stranger things than barnyard grass being eaten. Last week I heard of someone that manages a pasture field for broomsedge and the cows readily graze it. I didn't get details such as the stage of growth or how much feed the broomsedge is providing, but the fact that its being eaten and actually managed as a component of that grazing system is......different.

Interesting they are searching it out. Could be something to do with the stage of development it's in making it more palatable. I wouldn't be concerned though as I've never heard of it being a problem nor have I ever read of any concerns tied to it. I've heard of stranger things than barnyard grass being eaten. Last week I heard of someone that manages a pasture field for broomsedge and the cows readily graze it. I didn't get details such as the stage of growth or how much feed the broomsedge is providing, but the fact that its being eaten and actually managed as a component of that grazing system is......different.
Cattle have always eaten broomsedge but it is only when its small and tender. I cant imagine managing it though because with proper soil management and rotational grazing it will go away.
I would consider it pizz poor management to want it.

I have it come up sometimes in, you guessed it, our barn lot. The cattle will clean it up pretty fast. It's about like a lot things, as long as it's not rank the cattle will eat it.

As far as broomsedge, my cattle eat it when it is in early stage of growth and they will hammer it But I would never manage for it.

Cattle have always eaten broomsedge but it is only when its small and tender. I cant imagine managing it though because with proper soil management and rotational grazing it will go away.
I would consider it pizz poor management to want it.

As far as broomsedge, my cattle eat it when it is in early stage of growth and they will hammer it But I would never manage for it.
I would not manage for it either if I had livestock myself to manage. Cattle do eat it when small and tender as I have heard and seen it as well myself. As for the instance of hearing about someone actually managing for it, I figure someone took the concept of "Turning lemons into lemonade", to the extreme.

As for the notion that this might be some off the wall Idea that the producer is going to attempt and will change his mind or give up in a couple of years.......reportedly he has been doing this for 40 years.

Last edited:
Most people around here fed hay from other areas. We baled thousands of acres of crop land that was left to grow last year. It was mostly johnson grasses, crabgrass, and other rogue grasses along with weeds. I expected to get a lot of weed growth where we fed, most were thistle and ticweed... But we got neither of them, but instead got some rye, dock, wheat, this grass, and we already had crabgrass. . We mostly got rye, a bumber crop of that which was welcomed after last summer and fall with nothing growing. The pasture this barnyard grass is growing in, grows mostly dalis grass and bermuda. Its a field we almost never bale, but have on years of good grass growth. I usually just try to stay up with keeping the dalis grass heads at bay. Field stays too wet for bermuda and bahia, so its left to grow what likes to grow. But like i said, the cows love this new grass..It wont hang around because they eat it as fast as it can grow and will not get the opportunity to seed.

The little bit of barnyardgrass on this place - mainly in wet areas, like the waterway through the middle of the creekbottom field - was always well-received by the cows when they went into a new paddock... it and johnsongrass were the first two forages they honed in on.
Seems like somone... like the Noble Foundation(?), was offering barnyardgrass seed for sale, some years back... along with one or two 'improved' Crabgrass selections.

Id rather have this barnyard grass instead of dalis or bahia. But like i said, i'm guessing its like johnson and doesnt like being grazed. A few other grasses took advantage of last years drought. There is a grass that grows at the edge and into the woods. It looks like wheat but the seeds are small. Its everywhere now.

Latest posts