What is this?

Help Support CattleToday:

I believe it's common mullein. It's a native plant that returned up around here 3-4 years ago. Any chance you live near a railroad? A few years ago BNSF seeded via hellicopter native plants up and down the rail line. It worked really well -- I suspect that is where ours came from. Ironically, two years later they came back with a hellicopter and sprayed some herbicide with residual that killed everything for 2 years.

Considered invasive in CO-the brush composting places wouldn't take anything with evidence of it mixed in. Grows very quickly

Mullien. Here it mainly grows alongside unmowed roadsides and banks of ditches. I once had a neighbor that dug them up and transplanted them to a bank behind his house. I think he used them as a sort of herb. He was from the mountains and into that sort of thing.

Sold some beef to some older hippies last year. They had gallons of dried Mullen, ground up, and mixed 50/50 with marijuana. Claimed the husband has bad lung problems and smoking that mixture kept him from going to the doctor/ER much at all.

They had herb containers lining the walls. Learned a good bit.

Sold some beef to some older hippies last year. They had gallons of dried Mullen, ground up, and mixed 50/50 with marijuana. Claimed the husband has bad lung problems and smoking that mixture kept him from going to the doctor/ER much at all.

They had herb containers lining the walls. Learned a good bit.
Not sure how smoking anything would help your lungs! LOL

It's actually from Eurasia and considered to be invasive. We don't have enough to consider it a problem. Was at a pasture walk and they said it was valuable as the deep tap root brings up nutrients. Not sure if that's true or it just makes you feel better about having weeds in your pasture 😂. Bees like it in the morning.

Nothing eats them. They are annoying when they cure out. Just mow them o
Don't forget about the organic matter the roots leave behind.
"...it was valuable as the deep tap root brings up nutrients." Another verse to the song "don't worry, be happy"! That is what 99% of all weed growers say each morning as they look in the mirror.
"...it was valuable as the deep tap root brings up nutrients." Another verse to the song "don't worry, be happy"! That is what 99% of all weed growers say each morning as they look in the mirror.