This year

Help Support CattleToday:

I know I have limited number of fishing trips and hunts.
I am not trying to preserve myself, my goal is to slide to the grave completely wore out and when the kids write the final check it bounces.
Seriously with ankylosis spondylitis things are not going to get easier so I am enjoying them while I can. You can't outrun what your momma gives you.
Can't outrun nothing in the end. Make hay while the sun shines is what I say. I won't be making it out of this world alive is all I know. I probably don't live the way the "experts" say to but I'm happy and I'm carved out of marble so they can stuff it. Statistically I will not see 80, so I ain't worried about it.

Glad to hear it. We just might have a decent 3rd that'll cushion the first cut blow.

I've put my name on some 2nd cut hay at $40 a roll. I figure that's about $120 a ton before dragging it home. Probably won't need the amount I spoke for but should be able to resell it no problem by end of winter. He may regret pricing it so far in advance too.
What size rolls are common for your area? Around here almost exclusively farmers do 5x5 or 5x6. We lost the one guy who would roll me 4 x6 so I'm in search of someone else as my feeders are geared to 4'

Was just one tenth shy of a half inch of rain last night. I had to go pull some pipe so I can cut that field, I was soaked from the waist down once I got all done. Some of the grass was chest high. Maybe I will be able to cut it this afternoon. Six more acres and I will have all my first cutting down, now the trick will be to get it into the bale; it's supposed to rain on Tuesday, but then again it was not supposed to rain yesterday.

What size rolls are common for your area? Around here almost exclusively farmers do 5x5 or 5x6. We lost the one guy who would roll me 4 x6 so I'm in search of someone else as my feeders are geared to 4'
Mostly 4x5 or 4x4. 50 to 80 horse tractors are what most people have, including ourselves, and can't handle 1500 pound bales on these hills.

Never weighed one, but gonna guess 4x5s average 700 pounds.

I depend on a neighbor to roll my hay. It was short early when it was dry here and he was busy planting soybeans.
I had a nice stand of volunteer red clover in orchard grass. My second cutting from the same fields is always mostly johnson grass.
For two weeks the ground has been wet and more rain in the forecast.
As I sit here and look out the window, I see on neighbors several long ridges of hay that have not been cut. The heavy standing hay is delaying the growth of the johnson grass.
For cows, I still have hope for some hay that is good enough. It is an unusual year though.

Our first cutting was done in May before Memorial day which is pretty rare here. Thankfully the guy that does the hay now is the type that doesn't mess around. It has been cooler than usual this summer so the johnsongrass isn't growing like it should.

We will get another cutting but who knows about anything beyond that. I have about 3/4 of one barn full from last year still so I will be fine.

All depends on the baler, my 4x5s weigh between 900 and 950.
That's awesome. What do you bale with?

I'd like to weigh a few mine and see. I try to fill em as much as possible. I notice my 4x5's are about 6 inches taller than what I buy from three different hay guys.

What I buy aren't as heavy as what I bale, that's for sure. I flick the loader's tilt back and forth a time or two to weigh them. 😆

I depend on a neighbor to roll my hay. It was short early when it was dry here and he was busy planting soybeans.
I had a nice stand of volunteer red clover in orchard grass. My second cutting from the same fields is always mostly johnson grass.
For two weeks the ground has been wet and more rain in the forecast.
As I sit here and look out the window, I see on neighbors several long ridges of hay that have not been cut. The heavy standing hay is delaying the growth of the johnson grass.
For cows, I still have hope for some hay that is good enough. It is an unusual year though.
Unusual no doubt!

This smoke in the air has got to be blocking a good bit of photosynthesis fuel.

I'd like to weigh a few mine and see. I try to fill em as much as possible. I notice my 4x5's are about 6 inches taller than what I buy from three different hay guys.

What I buy aren't as heavy as what I bale, that's for sure. I flick the loader's tilt back and forth a time or two to weigh them. 😆
You bring up a very good point. Many people that know they are going to sell the hay cuts the rolls back to 4x4.5 or less. Measure some the moment it comes out of the roller. My Vermeer has a way to calibrate the size its showing to the actual size.
A few years ago i weighed rolls from 3 different rollers, 2 vermeer that were supposed to be the same and a John Deere. 4x5 dry rolls weighed from 700 to 1000. A 1000 lb roll has 1.42 more than a 700 lb roll or an extra roll for almost ever 2 rolls your buying. Huge difference. So next time you buy check some of that out.

New holland BR7070. My 4x5s are 60" tall on the nose. I usually weigh a few random bales every year from various fields. I've had 5 foot bales as heavy as 1050lb and as light at 850lb depending on crop and moisture.

If I was selling I would back the pressure off and make a little lighter bale as everybody here sells by the bale and not by weight.

Mostly 4x5 or 4x4. 50 to 80 horse tractors are what most people have, including ourselves, and can't handle 1500 pound bales on these hills.

Never weighed one, but gonna guess 4x5s average 700 pounds.
Just can't find those around here, but I'm still looking. I've got a 50 horse and these 13-1500 bales make it groan the it does handle them. Like I mentioned my old feeders hold a 4'bale perfect. When weather is cooperating I try to roll bales to help build soil, I I unroll a 5x5 they end up laying and trampling a lot of it doing a bale part day. 4' they usually clean up pretty well

Just can't find those around here, but I'm still looking. I've got a 50 horse and these 13-1500 bales make it groan the it does handle them. Like I mentioned my old feeders hold a 4'bale perfect. When weather is cooperating I try to roll bales to help build soil, I I unroll a 5x5 they end up laying and trampling a lot of it doing a bale part day. 4' they usually clean up pretty well
If it's more than they'll clean up in a day I sit them out, whole, without a ring. They do a pretty good job of cleaning it up if it's good hay. If ya move locations each feeding it really builds soil. Just takes some time for the residue to break down.

The green spots are where whole bales were fed last winter. It's handled the dry weather well.

Attachments

• 20230625_154953.jpg
    20230625_154953.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 9

My neighbor paid a guy to do his hay before my brother in law bought the place and now I have the field. The neighbor asked me one time if i could grab a bale and feed it to his horses because his tractor broke and was in the shop.

I go over and stick one with the front end loader and when I lifted it I thought it 'felt' light. I took it over and when i cut the wrap it completely fell apart. I don't mean a layer or two fell off, but pretty much the entire bale looked like a pile of hay.

The neighbor told me they got 90 bales usually off that field. When I got control of the field and had my guy doing it that made the same size bales, we got around 60 and that has been consistent over the past several years.

Things started to add up a little after that as to why that guy wanted me to pay him to do my field..no thank you I have someone already.

If it's more than they'll clean up in a day I sit them out, whole, without a ring. They do a pretty good job of cleaning it up if it's good hay. If ya move locations each feeding it really builds soil. Just takes some time for the residue to break down.

The green spots are where whole bales were fed last winter. It's handled the dry weather well.
That looks great, I'll try that this winter. I did do something an old rancher stopped and told me about. When we got the place he stopped by when I was working some fence just to talk. I have about an acre of not very good soil that raised a bumper crop of those big cactus. He said it had been bothering him to see it for years but the previous owner never did anything with it. He told me to do all my winter hay up there, and to set the round bales directly on top of the cactus and it will kill it. Two winters later that area is cactus free and covered with crabgrass that I bought from Mr dalrymple (spelling?).

My neighbor paid a guy to do his hay before my brother in law bought the place and now I have the field. The neighbor asked me one time if i could grab a bale and feed it to his horses because his tractor broke and was in the shop.

I go over and stick one with the front end loader and when I lifted it I thought it 'felt' light. I took it over and when i cut the wrap it completely fell apart. I don't mean a layer or two fell off, but pretty much the entire bale looked like a pile of hay.

The neighbor told me they got 90 bales usually off that field. When I got control of the field and had my guy doing it that made the same size bales, we got around 60 and that has been consistent over the past several years.

Things started to add up a little after that as to why that guy wanted me to pay him to do my field..no thank you I have someone already.
I assume most people are out to get me. Lol.

Last edited: