What's this grass ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Not sure if it's accurate or not, but the app on my phone ID'd it as prairie dropseed.

Attachments

• IMG_5767.jpeg
    IMG_5767.jpeg
    989.8 KB · Views: 15
Google said it's Striped Japanese sedge silk tassel. But who knows 🤪
About 3 years ago I had some hydroseeding done on that Hill for erosion control and evidently it came in with that seed.
Started with a couple heads last year and now I probably have 50 on that Hill this year.
Eradicate 🔥

Very difficult to identify (impossible?) from only a picture, especially w/o a seed head. You may contact the Hydroseeding company for a list of grasses potentially mixed in to their hydro-slurry. That would be a place to start.

Wiregrass came to mind, and then I found this:
which would also be consistent in the three-awn identification.
If it came from hydroseeding, I wouldn't expect a 'problematic' grass/weed as something like that would be very detrimental to their buisness.

I wouldn't think prairie dropseed, not within the normal range.

Very difficult to identify (impossible?) from only a picture, especially w/o a seed head. You may contact the Hydroseeding company for a list of grasses potentially mixed in to their hydro-slurry. That would be a place to start.

If it came from hydroseeding, I wouldn't expect a 'problematic' grass/weed as something like that would be very detrimental to their buisness.

Looks very similar but it's not in sandy soil or coastal area. Rock, clay soil...and it doesn't appear to need water, seems to love the lack of rain. It's thriving in this heat.
I have not seen it go to seed.
The hydro seeder has no idea, he just buys Ky Fescue by the bag. But since that's the only place I see it I'm pretty sure it had to come in when he seeded that hill. It's great for erosion control but if nothing eats it, it's got to go cause it's spreading fast. May spread by runner. I will pull one up.

No seed but spreading? You might dig some up and take the entire plant to extension. Might be spreading by stolons but doesn't seem to look like the type of grass that would do this. I can see where an unknown grass/plant would be cause for concern, especially if it is 'taking over' and isn't being consumed, until positively identified. Then I'd take action based on the identification. You've asked here so I'm guessing you already see the value in identification of the grass in determining your course of action to address its presence.

That looks just like what I'm battling. I've heard it called Clump Grass or Love Grass. Terribly invasive. I spray it with glyphosate at least once then come back with a weed torch to burn it down to the dirt. Seems to work. Doing that this morning as a matter of fact.

That looks just like what I'm battling. I've heard it called Clump Grass or Love Grass. Terribly invasive. I spray it with glyphosate at least once then come back with a weed torch to burn it down to the dirt. Seems to work. Doing that this morning as a matter of fact.
I've heard of, discussed, and seen pictures of stands of love grass. That would be a grass that would justify 'getting excited' about. Got agent orange and napalm ready? (JK about that) but definitely a concern/issue.

Back in the eighties dad would sometimes sacrifice some soybeans to get rid of Johnson grass. Just unfold the boom and spray everything with roundup in patches where the grass was bad. You may have to do the same.

Reminds me of "Wiregrass"
Idk if that's really the name. But it's hell on a set of swather knives
@MurraysMutts , you aren't alone with that thought, but without me having the grass in hand, it's only a guess, but I think it's a good guess.

A solid, positive ID is VERY important based on what the suggestions have been. I've said it twice and I'll say it again. Take a plant with roots to the extension office for ID.

Yep @MurraysMutts , wiregrass is an accepted common name, and I'd have to say it's a 'definite possibility'. How's that for an oxymoron?

But again, be ready for lovegrass as the ID.

Yes I am taking it to the county ext. ...but I am still killing it.
I thought if it's an ornamental, maybe I can call a landscaper and offer it for free if they come and dig it up !
Seen a very similar plant that sells for $25.
I have found another hill with more.😐 Weird I have never seen seed heads and those hills were sprayed I believe 4 yrs ago.

Latest posts