Grass Advice

Help Support CattleToday:

tsellars

Reaction score
Would like a little advice on a pasture project. Last fall I drilled about 10 acres of KY31, fertilized according to soil test (no lime was needed) and sprayed a small dose of glyphosate prior to drilling. Drill date was around October 10th. Grass still hasn't done well at all, it has grown up to about 3-4 inches and just seems to be stalled out and is very weedy. I'm sure the weeds are a result of the glyphosate and low stand yield. My thinking is to maybe drill a summer annual on top of it and then maybe drill more fescue this fall, thoughts?

Would like a little advice on a pasture project. Last fall I drilled about 10 acres of KY31, fertilized according to soil test (no lime was needed) and sprayed a small dose of glyphosate prior to drilling. Drill date was around October 10th. Grass still hasn't done well at all, it has grown up to about 3-4 inches and just seems to be stalled out and is very weedy. I'm sure the weeds are a result of the glyphosate and low stand yield. My thinking is to maybe drill a summer annual on top of it and then maybe drill more fescue this fall, thoughts?
Spray with liquid nitrogen and 24D

Spray with liquid nitrogen and 24D
Not to argue, but I would be wary of spraying liquid N through a full coverage nozzle on the grass. It could burn it and set it back more. Using dribbler tips would be a safer way to go.

I do agree to give it a shot of N, could spread urea or do the liquid, and a shot of 24D to knock the weeds.

It should thicken with time. If possible do not turn the cows on it until it gets well established.
Agreed. It probably won't look any good until this fall. Maybe run a light graze over it after it looks good as long as it's not too wet. DO NOT let anything winter on it until the second full year. Don't ask me how I know.

Also, I would frost seed red clover on it at 8# to the acre next February. It will fill any thin spots out and improve your grazing.

Spray now with weedmaster (2, 4-D + dicamba) to kill the weeds. Don't let the weeds go to seed. It is late for spring applications of nitrogen on fescue, but you could spread maybe 40 pounds of nitrogen per acre. Or some chicken litter if that is available - maybe 4 loads. Try to apply the nitrogen just prior to rainfall.
How many pounds of seed per acre were drilled? Was it no-tilled? How thin is the stand? Getting the weeds killed will allow you to better evaluate the stand of grass.

Thanks everyone. I should also say I did a split application of fertilizer, I did the P&K last fall and then the nitrogen 2nd week of March.

@simme I no till drilled 20lb/acre. I had also went ahead and sprayed over the weekend, I'll get some pics when I am back over there the end of this week.