How’s your grass?

Help Support CattleToday:

Me too. I was advised by a Dr this morning to avoid sweating.
I asked if she commuted down here from Vermont every day.
I'd find a different Dr. Sweating is a natural and normal body function. If you actually stop sweating completely, that can mean only one of two things: You are suffering from heat stroke, or you are dead. Heat stroke is definitely not healthy and dead......well, you can follow the Dr's advice permanently that way and will avoid sweating ever again. 😀

Why graze in the flat irrigated meadow with knee deep green grass when you can hike up a steep hill to graze on old mature crested wheat grass? Calves? There was 40 of them up here a couple of days ago. Maybe the steep hill, sage brush, and junipers remind them of spending summer with mom.

View attachment 34669View attachment 34670
There is something to be said about familiarity so it might be exactly as you suggest: "Mom". On the other hand, you have a point about the irrigated pasture.

That big steer in the flowers. When he is down in the meadow and I pass him on the quad he follows us. My dog riding on the back of the quad doesn't like that. If I speed up a little the steer goes to bouncing around chasing us. The dog really doesn't like that. She goes to growling at him.

This morning.......It has rained more in the last 10 minutes than it has for the previous 12 weeks combined. Still no downpour but maybe 1/4-1/2 inch and I'll gladly take it.
A quarter is good considering how dry you are. A half inch in 10 min is a bit scary considering your conditions. Flash flood? Probably only if it continues though.
Happy for the rain.

finally raining here...I just hope it doesn't get cool enough for the bermuda grass to go dormant. I need it to grow enough to bale hay for this winter. Buying hay sux.

Been raining here finially. Since we have had 2 killing frosts already the moisture doesn't do anything for this year, but it'll help replenish the ground water.

Well how about that! Been raining for a little over an hour. Really came down for a while. Let up some and I went out to check. 3 I say 3 inches. Had 4/10ths Wednesday night. Even after that, still no puddles.

Caustic, even though we haven't had rain in the last 3 months, we are still ahead of average for the year. April and May were wet, wet , wet.

Last edited:

Latest posts