How’s your grass?

Help Support CattleToday:

These short, light, 10-15 showers is what you want coming out of a drought like you have had. Two inches in an hour on ground that has been baked for as long as yours has might seem great at first thought, but.....I think your 'godsend' in that manner could quickly turn into a disaster as I suspect the ground to not be able to absorb it a that rate and you will end up with flash floods.

These short, light, 10-15 showers is what you want coming out of a drought like you have had. Two inches in an hour on ground that has been baked for as long as yours has might seem great at first thought, but.....I think your 'godsend' in that manner could quickly turn into a disaster as I suspect the ground to not be able to absorb it a that rate and you will end up with flash floods.
After these long 3-4 yr droughts we have had 100yr floods.

Put out some of the hay I bought about 4 hours ago…the cows haven't left it…earlier today they were eating the leaves off of some button willows I had cut around the pond…then again, they do that even when the grass is green
Just as our pastures (and yard) were starting to look good, with the extended epic heat we've had and no rain, they're back to burning up. Just glad we got everything cut/baled when we did and should be good through the winter. Maybe. Hopefully.
Be glad you did…I haven't been able to cut anything yet…just like last year…sigh

Finally Over 2" rain this morning in N. Georgia mountains. 🙂
Now to deal with the erosion.
It was so dry everything had turned to powder. The biggest problem we have is BIG trees falling from it being so dry and then getting a lot of rain and just a little wind.
This clay is mighty hard to deal with, we go from being a dust bowl to a mud hole !!

I need to follow your lead and move a couple old culls out. Half of me wants to try eating one, grind it or cuts, whichever will work. Not sure if it's worth it though. They're fat and probably bring a good chunk of change. Got appointments end of September.

I find myself doing a couple questionable things right now. Lol. Someone needs to smack some sense into me w these animals.

You think the cull market is going to soften soon?
I have a fat 5 y/o red angus that came up open at the abattoir right now (how you like that fancy word?). I'm getting the steaks, ribeye, strip, filet, all tenderized and everything else in burger. Can't beat the flavor of older beef. If the steak doesn't tun out I can grind it up at home.

Here's my question. Mostly Bahia grass hay field, it's about 6" tall and been that way for over a month because of the drought. It has put on seed heads, got a 1/2" of rain a few days ago and the grass looks anemic and somewhat damaged. The question is do I clip the heads off then put some urea on it or just fertilize it. There's a good chance of rain starting Sunday for a few days so whatever I do I need to do it now.

Here's my question. Mostly Bahia grass hay field, it's about 6" tall and been that way for over a month because of the drought. It has put on seed heads, got a 1/2" of rain a few days ago and the grass looks anemic and somewhat damaged. The question is do I clip the heads off then put some urea on it or just fertilize it. There's a good chance of rain starting Sunday for a few days so whatever I do I need to do it now.
I don't know bahia, but I do know Dallisgrass. I would clip it back if you're sure rain is coming.

It could be a shot in the foot if the rain doesn't come and that urea goes into the air.

If I clip I will just take the heads off and I may put a small amount of urea on it, maybe it won't burn it up. What do you think. Got 4 days of 50-60% of rain coming starting Sunday

This is the hay field regrowth that the calves are getting moved on today. There is about 15-16 acres of this and above the ditch there is around 10 acres of crested wheat grass that has never been grazed or mowed this year. That crested is pretty mature but with all the rain we have had it has sprouted 4 or 5 inches of green around the base.

P8303096.JPG

Latest posts