Questions on Drilling Grass

Help Support CattleToday:

Bamadan

Reaction score
I need some advice on some pasture/hay land. I have pasture land that was my Father-in-law's sweet potato farm, and after he got out of the potato business he ran cows on it. But, no pasture grass has ever been established on it, (just whatever came up).

I've been working on a plan(???). My plan was to drill(I have access to a drill) Fescue this Fall and some Rye or Ryegrass, then come back in the Spring and drill Bermuda in with the Fescue. I cut most of this pasture for hay on September 19, since that date we have not had enough rain to settle the dust. The forecast of rain this week is not looking promising. We are at about 2 1/2 months without significant rain.

My questions are:

• Am I OK to go ahead and drill Fescue and Winter grass (I know it's getting late), in dry ground?
  • If I get Fescue drilled, am I OK to come back in the Spring and drill Bermuda?
  • Is coated Fescue seed a better choice considering the lack of moisture?
  • Is there a choice of Winter grass that would be better than others because of dry ground and or late date?
  • Thoughts on Orchard grass?

*Note: This pasture had a heavy dose of chicken litter in early May of this year, so I had the most grass, I've ever had, all the way to frost (most grass, not the best grass)

I am located in North Central Alabama

Thanks for your Help!

Danny Miller

Cullman County, Alabama

I don't like planting perennials, there is too much of something not working right and having a poor stand. If you have farm ground cover crops will give you a chance to get something going.

Are you going to graze and cut hay on the same ground?
Not at same time, I've grazed it during winter and early spring, then move them to let it grow for hay. But I've acquired some new hay ground, if it works out I will only graze what I'm drilling.
My main concern is planting in dry conditions and so late in the year.

Go for it. Seed your grass in a month that ends in R. Far south as you are it should be fine, I would do it here. I assume winter grass means a nurse crop like wheat, oats or cereal rye; they'll get tall enough to take the brunt of the frost by late winter. I would go with the CR, it's the most winter hardy.

Plant in the dust, your bins will bust. Grasses will do better with dry than wet.

Can't help with the Bermuda, no experience, so unlike some I'll not comment on what I don't know.

Around here, pastures are heavy fescue. You'll see a clump of OG here and there. If you're grazing, I wouldn't waste the money for OG. Strictly haying, it will persist better. At least, that's here. OG likes it cooler than fescue, if I'm not mistaken.

I'll ruffle feathers here, but I wouldn't go with the "improved" fescues. Good ol' KY31 will be there 100 years from now, the other most likely won't. It can take the stress.

Go for it. Seed your grass in a month that ends in R. Far south as you are it should be fine, I would do it here. I assume winter grass means a nurse crop like wheat, oats or cereal rye; they'll get tall enough to take the brunt of the frost by late winter. I would go with the CR, it's the most winter hardy.

Plant in the dust, your bins will bust. Grasses will do better with dry than wet.

Can't help with the Bermuda, no experience, so unlike some I'll not comment on what I don't know.

Around here, pastures are heavy fescue. You'll see a clump of OG here and there. If you're grazing, I wouldn't waste the money for OG. Strictly haying, it will persist better. At least, that's here. OG likes it cooler than fescue, if I'm not mistaken.

I'll ruffle feathers here, but I wouldn't go with the "improved" fescues. Good ol' KY31 will be there 100 years from now, the other most likely won't. It can take the stress.
I need some advice on some pasture/hay land. I have pasture land that was my Father-in-law's sweet potato farm, and after he got out of the potato business he ran cows on it. But, no pasture grass has ever been established on it, (just whatever came up).

I've been working on a plan(???). My plan was to drill(I have access to a drill) Fescue this Fall and some Rye or Ryegrass, then come back in the Spring and drill Bermuda in with the Fescue. I cut most of this pasture for hay on September 19, since that date we have not had enough rain to settle the dust. The forecast of rain this week is not looking promising. We are at about 2 1/2 months without significant rain.

My questions are:

• Am I OK to go ahead and drill Fescue and Winter grass (I know it's getting late), in dry ground?
  • If I get Fescue drilled, am I OK to come back in the Spring and drill Bermuda?
  • Is coated Fescue seed a better choice considering the lack of moisture?
  • Is there a choice of Winter grass that would be better than others because of dry ground and or late date?
  • Thoughts on Orchard grass?

*Note: This pasture had a heavy dose of chicken litter in early May of this year, so I had the most grass, I've ever had, all the way to frost (most grass, not the best grass)

I am located in North Central Alabama

Thanks for your Help!

Danny Miller

Cullman County, Alabama

If you drill fescue now and it survives, why would you add Bermuda in the spring ? That makes zero sense. Fescue is not an annual. If you plant fescue now , you can not graze it until late next spring/early summer. If you're dealing with a lack of moisture the grass won't survive. Grass requires A LOT OF MOISTURE, I have failed to get Orchard to establish several times. If you have enough moisture for fescue to survive plant Max Q Texacoma. Chicken littler is useless, urea @ 300 pounds per acre at planting and 200 pounds 2x per year is what it takes. Here is a pic of my Max Q fescue I average 8 tons per acre per year and the stands are going on 10+ years.IMG_2613.jpeg

If it is old sweet potato land, get a soil test as most likely you are going to be short in potassium. Chicken litter is good for slow release nitrogen and phosphorus but is lacking potassium. Also remember, if you cut and bale you are mining the nutrients out of the soil. Since we don't have much fescue here in East Texas so I can not advise on it.