How’s your grass?

Help Support CattleToday:

Well how about that! Been raining for a little over an hour. Really came down for a while. Let up some and I went out to check. 3 I say 3 inches. Had 4/10ths Wednesday night. Even after that, still no puddles.

Caustic, even though we haven't had rain in the last 3 months, we are still ahead of average for the year. April and May were wet, wet , wet.
I wish we had!

You had probably better hope that you don't catch up this year. Do you have a canoe on stand by?
Wouldn't be a new event by any means. We got over 40 inches in Harvey over four days creeks never got out of banks.
Now the low counties below us got flooded horribly.
We normally get 58 to 60" a year, takes 10" downpour to get the creek out of banks.
Rainfall is why America's Ark is located here.

Slowing down…2nd night of frost warnings. Cows' pastures is holding well which is a blessing. Deep snow will determine when they come home. Looks like rations and hard winter feeding, luckily they are coming home fat.

All hay is baled overall yields down. New seeding performed well this year and gave us a nice cut and now has come back decently for winter. Oats are down - came up the back tires of tractor and has saved our bacon. We just need a few more days of 30 above and fall winds to get it baled. Yes, you heard that right below zero and frost overnight and plus 30 and sun during the day! Welcome to🇨🇦

Later in the week the calves will move to this grass. This field is as big as the other 2 combined. I will have gotten 5 weeks out of those 2. So this one should take up to the end of October. There is some old alfalfa in this field. Long ago someone must have grown alfalfa in this field. Normally I don't get much fall alfalfa grazing because of the deer. But between my dogs, the neighbors dogs, and the cougar who has been hanging around there just haven't been any deer out in this field. The calves will have about an acre of very ripe alfalfa to go along with 36 acres of green grass.

P9163097.JPGP9163096.JPG

The pic with the 4 wheeler is awesome. We werent that lucky this year. Was just about to be great round here and it cooled off so back to start. Come on nice but the lack of rain in the last month has hindered operations.

Nope. I have done that in the past but not here. The river, irrigation ditch, fences or lack of them, and the field shape just don't lend themself to strip grazing. So they get the whole thing.
I understand exactly what you are saying. Water location often makes strip grazing an impossibility. I'd wager to say that its a problem more often than not. Strip grazing is nice when you can though.

I understand exactly what you are saying. Water location often makes strip grazing an impossibility. I'd wager to say that its a problem more often than not. Strip grazing is nice when you can though.
The main problem is it is long and and narrowish with the river on one side and the irrigation ditch on the other side. Running the strips across the field would require taking the temporary fence across both the river and the ditch. That would be somewhere between extremely difficult and impossible. Going length wise on the field would require a fence nearly half a mile long.

Well they are all over in the front field now. Plenty of fresh green grass. It is their home until late October. Took this picture from the top of the driveway. While there I counted them. I came up with 111 so if my count is right we didn't leave any behind. B was running late so they never stopped to pick up a horse. There is some of the ground connected to that last field isn't exactly quad friendly.

P9193096.JPG

Happy to hear that the rains are finally coming to some of the areas hit hardest by the drought.

This field has the river on one side and the main irrigation ditch on the other side. Add in the field ditch down the middle and 2 springs which don't get mowed too close to. This adds up to a fair amount of ground which doesn't get cut for hay. So with all that lush green grass available every time I go out there 25% of the calves will off in those old over grown mature grass areas. First thing yesterday morning about half the herd was in the area of the most alfalfa. Ten minutes later the migration was on. They all marched about 200 yards over to the area of one of those springs and went to eating that old rank grass. I guess they figured they needed more fiber in their diet.

P9193100.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts