What grass is this

Help Support CattleToday:

Id rather have this barnyard grass instead of dalis or bahia. But like i said, i'm guessing its like johnson and doesnt like being grazed. A few other grasses took advantage of last years drought. There is a grass that grows at the edge and into the woods. It looks like wheat but the seeds are small. Its everywhere now.
With barnyard grass being an annual and johnson grass a perennial, each will react very differently from the other. Both are considered weeds here in Ohio. Barnyard grass for the most part is simply ignored by producers (here). Johnson grass on the other hand is very aggressively pursued with elimination the intent. I do know johnson is considered a valuable forage elsewhere.

With barnyard grass being an annual and johnson grass a perennial, each will react very differently from the other. Both are considered weeds here in Ohio. Barnyard grass for the most part is simply ignored by producers (here). Johnson grass on the other hand is very aggressively pursued with elimination the intent. I do know johnson is considered a valuable forage elsewhere.
Same here. People waged war on JG when it first showed up. We still have some along the highways but it's not much of a problem anymore.

The only time i know of anyone waging war with JG, is the farmer. And let me tell you, that one season that it isnt sprayed, it takes over farmed fields. We baled many acres of it last year. But, let it grow in a pasture where cows graze, wont grow.... it actually makes no sense. one field its killed, but keeps growing, the other eaten and it dies.

The only time i know of anyone waging war with JG, is the farmer. And let me tell you, that one season that it isnt sprayed, it takes over farmed fields. We baled many acres of it last year. But, let it grow in a pasture where cows graze, wont grow.... it actually makes no sense. one field its killed, but keeps growing, the other eaten and it dies.
When a field of johnson grass is sprayed it kills all growing plants but opens up for the seed thats in the ground to sprout.
When grazing the cattle seek it out as soon as it starts growing and the plant cant get enough energy to grow. They keep eating it every time it attempts to grow until its no longer there, you think.
One thing i have noticed is i get some Johnson grass now that im rotational grazing that i didn't see when continuous grazing.

We use to have a field that was farmed. When they stopped farming it all the jg came out. We used it for a hay field because it makes great hay. When we cut back on how much hay we feed I wanted to put it in to the grazing rotation. I asked some people the best way to kill it out. An older guy told me to shred it off early in the year and then put the cows on it when every thing starts growing. We grazed it kind of heavy that first year. We haven't had jg in it for probably 5 years now.

Im kind of missing it now because so much of the turkey and other wildlife liked it. I'm actually debating planting jg at another place for hay. We cant graze the field so it became our main hay field. Its probably the best bang for the buck hay from a cost per quality perspective.

Back before we got our rotational grazing set up rolling, and the cows were just running over the entire place, they had, for all intents and purposes, grazed the JG out of existence... it's THE preferred forage, and as soon as a little shoot stuck its head up, it got nipped off. Mis-managed like that, it eventually 'runs out of gas'.
But, once we cut the place up into paddocks where they cows only spent 1/2-2 days per paddock, and rotated back 4 weeks later, the JG made a resurgence, at least in the creekbottom field that used to be in corn/soybean rotation.

Johnson grass is a great hay to roll out over marginal soil or erosion problems. It always has a ton of seeds and the roots are deep and strong if you can let it get up the next summer before grazing it out. I used to buy some just for that purpose.

The flip side of JG:

Johnsongrass is toxic when under stress, including for about 72 hours after a "killing" frost. After a "burn back" frost, it can be toxic for at least 10 days and possibly longer.

The flip side of JG:

Johnsongrass is toxic when under stress, including for about 72 hours after a "killing" frost. After a "burn back" frost, it can be toxic for at least 10 days and possibly longer.
We have grass obstacles all over where i live... We have dalis grass. Overnight the heads can grow a fungus that really f's cattle up. Most times cows wont touch it, but calves will. One time we had a whole corral of duck walking calves. Luckily, we did not loose any, but, sure was annoying. I watch the heads and as soon as i see the black sticky, i get out and cut them down. I could do without dalis grass....

i looked it up and sure enough, its there. Thanks. Do you know anything about this grass?
I have had this barnyard grass grow really aggressively in a nice hay field that had manure applied over the winter before I baled it. I was concerned the cows wouldn't eat it, but they did eat it once baled with not much problem. If it gets real ripe and seedy, they will pick around it. I did bale it wet and wrap it. I think that helped make it more palatable!? Also it didn't come up the following year due to ensiling it I believe.

I don't know a lot about the pond weed(pond grass) other than it thrives in wet soil or wet sand. It started in a hay field that had a sandy area and was impossible to get rid of. I spray around my pond which is very sandy and keep it under control.

I don't know a lot about the pond weed(pond grass) other than it thrives in wet soil or wet sand. It started in a hay field that had a sandy area and was impossible to get rid of. I spray around my pond which is very sandy and keep it under control.
I think you are still talking about the barnyard grass. If so, it's an annual. Use a pre-emergent herbicide which will stop it before it ever starts to grow. Once it germinates each year in the spring, y6our options are limited, especially in you stand of perennial grass which you use for hay.

Latest posts