Do any of you farmers/ranchers know what this is for?

Help Support CattleToday:

View attachment 42467

Done, finally. It will be interesting to see what the different color variation from one area to the next related to, organic matter maybe?

There is one paddock, number 9, or the top sample in the picture, which is the cows favorite. They hang out there feeding 50 % of the time. I really want to know why and if it's the nutritional value of the grass or it's mineral base. It is also the highest spot on the place, It's actually the highest spot around, including all the surrounding ranches.
I think i can tell you at least part of why.
As you increase elevation you get lower temperature and higher humidity. Also normally get at least a slight breeze. My cows will bed down at night on the highest point. Over time the manure will add to the organic matter in that area. Its the most productive grazing area.

I'm guessing the different soil color is different soil types. Look your place up on web soil survey. About 9000 times better than those old map books. Think of all the buckets if you decide to grid sample it. Here we have several different soil types in one field. In crops you can see the lines almost exactly to the map when it starts getting dry. Amazing

I'm guessing the different soil color is different soil types. Look your place up on web soil survey. About 9000 times better than those old map books. Think of all the buckets if you decide to grid sample it. Here we have several different soil types in one field. In crops you can see the lines almost exactly to the map when it starts getting dry. Amazing
Thanks, I could tell for the most part just by the grass, I haven't owned the place very long and the pasture size was more than doubled a couple of years before I bought it. The photo in this survey shows it right after being cleared . I did do a grid and that is why the many buckets. There was a method to my mad reasoning for the grid and the satellite photo in the survey shows I got pretty close to actual differences in types or in areas that are obviously in need of a different strategy. I had rather spend more on areas that actually need more than to waste money on areas that need little as would happen if one sample were taken from the whole place.