Do any of you farmers/ranchers know what this is for?

Help Support CattleToday:

Since I was about 15. My brother and I fenced the original 124 acres in 1964-1965 while Dad was still working for Humble oil and Refining (now Exxon) . We were running cows on it in '66 for sure. (I was born 24 days before the communists crossed the 38th parallel and poured into South Korea)

Since I was about 15. My brother and I fenced the original 124 acres in 1964-1965 while Dad was still working for Humble oil and Refining (now Exxon) . We were running cows on it in '66 for sure. (I was born 24 days before the communists crossed the 38th parallel and poured into South Korea)
Know what this is?IMG_20240316_174201539_HDR.jpg

My uncle was there when the communists did that. The few stories he told were something. When I got to know him later in life he always seemed very nervous.

Drying/ blending soil samples to send in. I always mail when I pull them, not as high tech as you.
IMG_20240316_174609374_HDR.jpg

I'm pretty high tech at breaking up clods too.

I drop them off at the back door of the extension office with a note explaining where they are from and what the land will be used for. They get them to the lab and will mail me the results in about a week. I don't know about everywhere else but in Arkansas it is totally free.

Last edited:
A few more photos, wish that I had taken some of the samples in the buckets. It was getting dark so bagged them up and brought them home to finish sifting the rocks and roots out.

IMG_20240316_180230617_HDR.jpgIMG_20240316_185214984.jpgIMG_20240316_191545596.jpgIMG_20240316_191713990.jpgIMG_20240316_204317606_HDR.jpg

Soil sample probe. I use one often
Interesting. My wife has a tool that looks very similar. She uses it to plant bulbs. Now I'm wondering if she's repurposed a soil sampling tool.
She's already snoring. I don't dare wake her to ask, else she may take a soil sample from my azz.

Interesting. My wife has a tool that looks very similar. She uses it to plant bulbs. Now I'm wondering if she's repurposed a soil sampling tool.
She's already snoring. I don't dare wake her to ask, else she may take a soil sample from my azz.
I have one paddock that I thought about welding the probe to a jackhammer. I did have to file a roll off the edge of the probe after sampling that one.

I have one paddock that I thought about welding the probe to a jackhammer. I did have to file a roll off the edge of the probe after sampling that one.
I was amazed (still am) at how the addition of lime to adjust pH improved my soil compaction (because I didn't know what I didn't know at the time).
I had to apply 2.5 tons per acre per the samples about seven years ago. I applied 1.5 tons that year and another ton about 18 months later. I still have a few areas that I need to adjust a bit, but adding lime may be the best bang for the buck I've spent on this place.
Prior to adding lime, fertilizing didn't produce the results I expected. Now, adding litter or commercial shows results in days.
"Live and learn" isn't exclusive to any particular level of intelligence, or lack thereof:LOL:

I was amazed (still am) at how the addition of lime to adjust pH improved my soil compaction (because I didn't know what I didn't know at the time).
I had to apply 2.5 tons per acre per the samples about seven years ago. I applied 1.5 tons that year and another ton about 18 months later. I still have a few areas that I need to adjust a bit, but adding lime may be the best bang for the buck I've spent on this place.
Prior to adding lime, fertilizing didn't produce the results I expected. Now, adding litter or commercial shows results in days.
"Live and learn" isn't exclusive to any particular level of intelligence, or lack thereof:LOL:
How did your minerals look? Did the test results change they way you looked at or bought minerals for your livestock?

I did not change the loose mineral, but have noticed they don't consume as much now. I had an issue with selenium deficiency many years ago, but haven't since adding the lime. I keep loose Purina wind and Rain plus loose salt out year round. Usually add a high mag tub at first green up late winter.

IMG_20240316_234723300.jpg

Done, finally. It will be interesting to see what the different color variation from one area to the next related to, organic matter maybe?

There is one paddock, number 9, or the top sample in the picture, which is the cows favorite. They hang out there feeding 50 % of the time. I really want to know why and if it's the nutritional value of the grass or it's mineral base. It is also the highest spot on the place, It's actually the highest spot around, including all the surrounding ranches.

I have pretty bad compaction from everyone driving all over this ranch before I owned it. let's say I wasn't to popular after I stopped the traffic flow. Anyway.. I'll have to have some lime spread. My PH is around 6.2 - 6.5 on most fields so I shouldn't have to add that much.

Latest posts