How’s your grass?

Help Support CattleToday:

heard about that one this AM...Martin Dies, Jr. State Park is standing by to evacuate equipment if needed...still 12 miles from them according to park manager there
It would have to do multiple river jumps to get there.
It's North of R255 mainly on the east side of the Neches. It did jump the Neches in northern Tyler county. Still north of R255.

So why in the he//'s name don';t they sell the CULL COWS now ???? We have shipped every cull we have... opens and all except for a couple with calves that will go in the fall... and we have grass... just moved them to a place that we bush hogged off that has had NOTHING on it before last week... they will do good on it... bush hogged it real high to get the tops/weeds/seed heads... grass was very thick... and when it gets down, they will go....
There will be no bank account if the market prices start to fall or the cows lose weight...

Friends or not, if it is your land you need to broach this subject with them....
I need to follow your lead and move a couple old culls out. Half of me wants to try eating one, grind it or cuts, whichever will work. Not sure if it's worth it though. They're fat and probably bring a good chunk of change. Got appointments end of September.

I find myself doing a couple questionable things right now. Lol. Someone needs to smack some sense into me w these animals.

You think the cull market is going to soften soon?

I honestly do not know what to think on this cull market. They are off $.05-.15 here one day... but then the next sale they are up .10.....
People are not buying the beef like they were... it is getting too expensive for many to eat it as often as they were. Chicken has come down some and egg prices have really dropped off since the crazy high prices they had gotten to. I have not even looked at pork prices, but bacon was back down some from the high it had gotten to also.
The thing is there are still alot of cows going to market/kill due to the terrible drought conditions in many places. @gcreekrch said they are dry up there in western Canada... there are fires all over this year... either there are more wildfires or we just hear about them more than we used to. We still have had some days plagued by the smoke.
There is supposed to be a 4-6 month supply of beef in storage... all at the high prices... and more supply in storage around the world....
BUT.... all these cows going to market... many in the 1st and 2nd trimester of pregnancy... will NOT be putting any more calves into the supply chain... so where are all these feeder calves going to come from? When a cow that is bred only 3-4 months gets culled due to the lack of pasture and no hay for the winter available.. and she is worth as much or more for kill right now... who is dumb enough to try to "feed their way out of a drought"? @Caustic Burno said it is a losing proposition.,... he tried it back in 2011 maybe?
I have said that I think these high feeder prices are going to last through the spring of '24... many think it will last into '25....
For my money... shipping everything that is mediocre, a problem, has an attitude, raises a ho-hum nothing special calf...does not breed back easily, is a big cow that does not wean a calf that is comparable to her size in relation to her herdmates, has foot problems.... ANY REASON to think about selling her... IS LEAVING.....and I don't want to wait too much longer. We have cows out at pasture that will not come back until Dec due to the amount of grass unless we get some real bad severe snow.... but believe me, they had better all be pregnant or they are gone when the calves get weaned off... And if there was anything at the barn that a cull... she would be on the next truck out to town....
With the extreme heat, cows will maintain but they will not gain in the hotter climates and the grass is not going to be that good if there is grass. WHY keep them when you can turn them into cash right now.... bury one and you will be kicking yourself for not shipping them. It was one thing to lose an old cow when they would bring .30-.50/ lb.... a small old cow would bring you $250-400....if you buried one it was "part of it"... now she is worth $800-1200.... I am not going to bury that if they are a designated cull cow.

If you want burger, then do one... but I would ship every one and find a heifer or steer with a bad eye, crippled leg, 3/4 blind... something that won't bring near as much at the sale and feed it to kill size. We just took one that was 90% blind to be killed and have a totally blind one to go next month... 8-900 lbs...live weight... not the best fleshed.. but they need to go... Won't bring anything at the sale... send a crappy cow and more than make up for the smaller beef size in the money.
There are a few I want to send this fall when they come home if I can talk DS into it.... they are pita cows at pasture, they have attitudes, they raise just so-so calves... even though they calve every year...
Stay understocked for another year or 2... buy not so perfect calves, bulls, things that we can work and put together some groups... put some weight on some that are not looking that great... see what comes along... play the waiting game a bit if need be... but not going to hold onto anything that is a cull cow.....

First water since end of May at our house. Only lasted about 10 minutes, but the surrounding clouds and thunder sure make my heart happy
Same here. Been little showers on and off for about the last 2 hours but very little rainfall. Lots of wind, thunder/lightning currently. Hopefully, the bottom will fall out soon before the all the small systems dies out and we get some real moisture falling.

8-27rain.jpg

Same here. Been little showers on and off for about the last 2 hours but very little rainfall. Lots of wind, thunder/lightning currently. Hopefully, the bottom will fall out soon before the all the small systems dies out and we get some real moisture falling.

View attachment 34229
We've gotten .25 so far. Better than we thought would happen

***update- .4 total. Most in a very long time

Last edited:
Short grass is getting pretty dry n crispy. Pasture is understocked and tall grass still green!! I've done something halfway right!

Got plenty of hay for this winter but they may get to graze some stockpile and have cubes for a bit

Latest posts