Oats

Help Support CattleToday:

Think I am going to seeding pea/oats in the winter area it's probably close to 3/4 ac.
Mix is 37.50 for 50lbs.
I used whole oats from the feed store to seed the winter ground several years. They grew just as good of a crop as the seed oats and cost a lot less.

Oats or looking pretty good this year. If we keep getting a little rain we'll make a crop. I've planted bin run oats lots of times. The only difference I've found compared to certified seed is the presence of mustard seed is common. If that happens the 24d will eat up the savings.

Oats or looking pretty good this year. If we keep getting a little rain we'll make a crop. I've planted bin run oats lots of times. The only difference I've found compared to certified seed is the presence of mustard seed is common. If that happens the 24d will eat up the savings.
I assume the mustard is a problem in haying? The mustard that grows here is eaten well by cattle. Similar to rape if I'm not mistaken. Maybe yours is different.

I assume the mustard is a problem in haying? The mustard that grows here is eaten well by cattle. Similar to rape if I'm not mistaken. Maybe yours is different.
Your exactly right. Mustard decreases the value of hay and grain crops. It's not much of a concern when grazing although I wouldn't want it going to seed.

I bought bin run in the past, besides not knowing what weeds I might be getting the biggest obvious problem was getting them through the seed drill because they just weren't clean enough.

Latest posts