Temps to kill oats

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence

Keyboard cowboy
Reaction score
How cold can they stand?
Got to see the most snow I've ever seen last month. Looks like I'll see the coldest temperature I've ever seen next week. Couple of nights in the teens with days around freezing Tuesday night is forecast to 5 degrees. Got a really thick stand of oats I haven't grazed since late November. They're about 8" tall right now . Had em hung on a peg to make some hay.

If they are true Bob oats they will hold up a little better but I'm afraid mine are also gonna get set way back. I have calves on mine and they are about 4 to 6" tall but the end game was hay production. At least the soil is wet and that sometimes helps but like Kenny mentioned, a couple inches of snow will make a lot of difference.

Weather Underground says 6 degrees here Tuesday morning. Everyone that has a St. Augustine yard will lose it. Plumbers are gonna be in high demand.

This is some BS. We were riding high. We had winter grass come on strong and the cattle were actually putting some weight back on from the drought. We hadn't fed much this winter at all... now this nonsense. I started feeding and wrapping pipes this past weekend and still haven't gotten it all sured up yet. We arent made for this.

I keep eyeing the cattle trying to see if any looks like they could domino in the next couple of days, especially the Brahmans.

We have had quite a few days in the low 80s the past couple weeks. Our Bermuda was greening back out.

I have had oats covered with snow and freezing temps when we use to grow it pretty much every year when I was growing up. The best oats was always after the snow melted off. We have had volunteer oats grow around the storage areas and it would regrow in the spring regardless of how cold the winter was. Like Kenny said the snow will help insulate the ground and the stand that is there so other factors like ground temp before the snow and wind at lower temps will all factor in. I would think you will be fine but I could be wrong. time will tell. good luck

Up here some guys would plant oats, keep them grazed down the first year and take a crop off the second year. I would assume that they have to come back from the roots though, anything above ground would be killed off. As long as they never get to shot blade stage the roots will make the winter.

Our low Monday is 1 and the high is 12, the coldest I can ever remember is 9. Gonna be a pain trying to water. Lord only knows what all will be busted when it starts to thaw. We've been below freezing for a few days now and won't get back above until next Friday, very unusual for our area. We've had sleet and freezing fog last few days and supposed to get a ton of snow first of next week.
As far as the oats,I've never planted any but know several in my area that have and they generally lose them with a hard freeze, but that's without snow cover. Like Kenny said, the snow will definitely help.

Poor old brimmers can't handle the cold? Maybe you should knit them some sweaters? :LOL:
I'll knit them if you put them on.😜

Cows will be fine, you just dont want calves dropping in this. We try not to calve until March but you know... 🤷‍♂️

Attachments

• 20171208_070520.jpg
    20171208_070520.jpg
    498.8 KB · Views: 24
Poor old brimmers can't handle the cold? Maybe you should knit them some sweaters? :LOL:
One February had grey Brahman heifer Slip and do the splits, in a low spot frozen over, she broke through the ice and was soaked .she was injured,had to get her up.once she was up and out, couldn't get her near the barn...temp that night was 10 .with wind chill below 0..stood the same spot all night..,put hay and feed in front of her and figured I be burying her the next day..still in same spot like nothing happened the next morning..she never got over the injury though..

I can see the burned look across the oats and rye already
Weve only got down into the mid 20s so far. Oats should take that in my experience. It's the four degree forecast I'm worried about. Got a good sheet of ice and snow I think that might help.

Oats

KIMG0481.JPG
Ryegrass before the ice and grazed to the ground.

Attachments

• KIMG0479.JPG
    KIMG0479.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 6
I've seen pics of the down trees south of waco. Bad deal. They are extending the cold weather already in to late next week. Another one behind this one.

Asking for a friend, what is the proper way to break ice off a water trough? 😁
a coverall, insulated leather gloves and boots, stocking cap or ski mask and a sledge hammer.

I've seen pics of the down trees south of waco. Bad deal. They are extending the cold weather already in to late next week. Another one behind this one.

Asking for a friend, what is the proper way to break ice off a water trough? 😁
Of course it depends on the thickness of the ice. But I prefer an axe. And then you need a pitchfork to shovel out all the pieces.

Latest posts