Star Lake Sale

Help Support CattleToday:

S&S Farms":34a6uhyc said:
Have you ever seen CS Boomer's dam? I have not but have been told recently by a couple of trusted cattle breeders that I know that she had a terrible udder. I have one 29F daughter that has blown out her front right teat, coke bottle teat. She did this on her first calf. I will not buy another 29F daughter. I saw several at the two sales that looked like their udders would do the same as mine in the near future ie a couple more calves. That is not something that I want to perpetuate in my herd or breed. I want old cows with pretty udders not broken down suspension or coke bottle teats.

I think when you get that high in milk numbers, you are running a greater risk of having teat problems. I've had a couple of my Achiever daughters blow out as well. Granted they were 10+ years old before they did. On the other hand, I've got an Achiever daughter that's 12, a 7/8 sister to one that "blew out", and she will never have teat problems. And I've got a 5 year old that looks like she will never have a problem, right now.

When I've mentioned "potential" udder problems in Achiever daughters to some breeders, I've received some indignation from some of them. They act like they NEVER had that experience. But I've seen enough of them to know that my experience is not totally unique.

I've also seen the same thing that you've seen in 29F daughters in Star Lake's videos. But not all of them. It's a "pick 'em" selection strategy and how far you can push the "milk" and keep sound udders.

George

HerefordSire":2yug6s9z said:
The line bred 29F bull I recently purchased from the STAR was for the purpose to cover the ET misses so I could create some BWF offspring. This is the first negative comment I have heard about 29F. Could it be the mating on the cow side generating the coke (pepsi) bottle teat and not 29F's dam?

I have never heard this criticism either. The 34 milk number too me is too high for less than ideal conditions unless you are using him on cows that have a low milk problem and want a fast fix. IF you have 20++ milk EPD cows, grazing fescue, in Alabama heat, and having to make do with limited winter supplementation.........I would be really hesitant to breed those cows to CS Boomer 29F to produce a generation of ~+30 lb Milk EPD replacement heifers. Initially I thought the birth weight would be a big problem since he was a direct descendent of Keynote; but I was surprised on that score. I will check out some of his daughters' udders Saturday at Randy Owen's........IF I can get away from some of this paperwork (I just drained an ink cartridge I bought last night, printing these stupid end of fiscal year reports).

Brandonm2":1s8thtx1 said:
S&S Farms":1s8thtx1 said:
Have you ever seen CS Boomer's dam? I have not but have been told recently by a couple of trusted cattle breeders that I know that she had a terrible udder. I have one 29F daughter that has blown out her front right teat, coke bottle teat. She did this on her first calf. I will not buy another 29F daughter. I saw several at the two sales that looked like their udders would do the same as mine in the near future ie a couple more calves. That is not something that I want to perpetuate in my herd or breed. I want old cows with pretty udders not broken down suspension or coke bottle teats.

I never said CS Boomer was the kind of bull I would breed a hundred commercial cows too (even if the semen price was that cheap). I simply said that he and Online were can't miss sires if you wanted your kid to win a ribbon in his state Herford show. Devo is another in that category. I have no kid and no interest or ability in showing anything; BUT 'IF' you were playing THAT game, then like any other game either play it to win or don't enter the arena and I don't think you can argue with CS Boomer 29F's success in THAT game.

I did not understand your statement about the show ring when I first read your thread. Yes his progency has done well in the ring.

HerefordSire":v464su59 said:
Brandonm2":v464su59 said:
S&S Farms":v464su59 said:

I never said CS Boomer was the kind of bull I would breed a hundred commercial cows too (even if the semen price was that cheap). I simply said that he and Online were can't miss sires if you wanted your kid to win a ribbon in his state Herford show. Devo is another in that category. I have no kid and no interest or ability in showing anything; BUT 'IF' you were playing THAT game, then like any other game either play it to win or don't enter the arena and I don't think you can argue with CS Boomer 29F's success in THAT game.

The line bred 29F bull I recently purchased from the STAR was for the purpose to cover the ET misses so I could create some BWF offspring. This is the first negative comment I have heard about 29F. Could it be the mating on the cow side generating the coke (pepsi) bottle teat and not 29F's dam?

I had the same question which side did this problem come from. So I called a friend in PA that told me about another guy I know that came there for Neb to see 29F's dam. When he saw her especially her udder. He decided like George stated not to use him on a large herd of cows.

Latest posts