Stand Your Ground

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
The convicted felon won't be shoplifting any more. Are you supposed to let someone hit you in the head with a hatchet that they tried to steal from you? That's the way you stop a habitual criminal from committing anymore crimes.

Too bad some thief decided that his life was only worth a $15 hatchet. Makes me wonder if it had been $150,000 diamond bracelet would have been any different for you, Best?

In a similar discussion, I've had people ask me if my TV was worth someone else's life. They're asking the wrong person....need to be asking the person that wants to steal it.
Life, is as cheap as any particular thief wants to make it. Today, a $15 hatchet. Tomorrow, a $150 worth of copper wire, next week a $1,500 cow and then the $150K diamond bracelet Slick mentioned.
I have no sympathy for the thief, tho I do for his family.
Now, what Fla law ultimately says about it in the courtroom is yet to be determined.

greybeard":1jbhb8hd said:
In a similar discussion, I've had people ask me if my TV was worth someone else's life. They're asking the wrong person....need to be asking the person that wants to steal it.
Life, is as cheap as any particular thief wants to make it. Today, a $15 hatchet. Tomorrow, a $150 worth of copper wire, next week a $1,500 cow and then the $150K diamond bracelet Slick mentioned.
Now, what Fla law ultimately says about it in the courtroom is yet to be determined.
Sure doesn't seem like it's a crime worth killing someone over, but then again I wasn't there and it wasn't my hatchet.

True Grit Farms":336fbvv0 said:
greybeard":336fbvv0 said:
Sure doesn't seem like it's a crime worth killing someone over, but then again I wasn't there and it wasn't my hatchet.
At what monetary value IS it worth killing over?

Some would say none.
I say, in for a pence, in for a pound.

slick4591":2du1crfw said:
Too bad some thief decided that his life was only worth a $15 hatchet. Makes me wonder if it had been $150,000 diamond bracelet would have been any different for you, Best?

As a former law enforcement agent, I'm surprised by your remark. The individual was clearly not in a threatening manner while being shot. He was trying to flee. Had it happened during a fight or the person was coming at him, that would be different.

If you are gonna steal from me once, you will steal from me again. The fact that it wasn't an armful of food because he was hungry, but something that could be used to threaten or harm someone else, I cannot fault the Fla commissioner from shooting. I feel for the family also, but not for the thief. He could have easily taken that hatchet and swung at the store owner.... "fear for his life" sounds pretty right to me.

True Grit Farms":39dn9u5s said:
The convicted felon won't be shoplifting any more. Are you supposed to let someone hit you in the head with a hatchet that they tried to steal from you? That's the way you stop a habitual criminal from committing anymore crimes.

Where do you read that he was struck? I can find that he had it down his pants. That's clearly not a person threatening someone's life.

Just another perfect example of don't break the law and you won't have to worry about being shot.

So many these days sympathize with criminals because of how they are treated while breaking the law.

Where I live if I chose to steal from someone I would know that there was a very good chance I would be shot at. It's that simple.

What about the law abiding citizens rights. A man trying to run a small store wouldn't be in business very long if he allowed everyone who decided to steal from him just walk out the door.

kentuckyguy":14fg2q7r said:
Just another perfect example of don't break the law and you won't have to worry about being shot.

So many these days sympathize with criminals because of how they are treated while breaking the law.

Where I live if I chose to steal from someone I would know that there was a very good chance I would be shot at. It's that simple.

What about the law abiding citizens rights. A man trying to run a small store wouldn't be in business very long if he allowed everyone who decided to steal from him just walk out the door.

So it's Ok to shoot first and ask questions later if you perceive someone is stealing from you?
http://articles.latimes.com/1991-03-19/ ... _dead-girl

If you wanna stuff a hatchet in your pants, you pay at the register..... seems simple enough.

What was he gonna do with the hatchet anyways. He certainly didn't need it for work.

Personally, I would not take another human being's life for stealing. It does not matter to me whether I have the legal right or not. That is a value that belongs to me. In fact, in actual practice, I don't believe 75 % of the citizens of this nation would snuff out another human life for thief.

Based on the link (not conclusive), it has all the indications that the 50 year old homeless man was stealing. Based on the link, nothing suggests he was a threat.

It will be very interesting to see the conclusions of those doing a thorough investigation.

A guy today in Bonifay was beat up while cutting wood in his yard , they stole his wallet , money and chainsaw. When more of these looters are shot maybe they will stop stealing.

Bestoutwest":235juj4b said:
slick4591":235juj4b said:

As a former law enforcement agent, I'm surprised by your remark. The individual was clearly not in a threatening manner while being shot. He was trying to flee. Had it happened during a fight or the person was coming at him, that would be different.

My former job was just that... a job. My oath didn't state that I had to change my personal views in life, just stated that I had to uphold the Constitution, laws of the United States and the laws of Texas to the best of my ability. When I retired no one excused me from that oath, so I still take it seriously. But, the question I asked wasn't about me. It was about you and your line. Apparently, you think it's okay for anyone to to steal and escape without consequences, or do you have a line?

tensions are high around here right now it would not take much for people to react . There are thousand of good folk coming in to help but with that there will scum of the earth looking for an easy mark. LEO's I know have been telling folks that can legally carry to do so because it is very dangerous right now ,.

True story:

My brother owned and operated a service station and did small engine repairs, chainsaws, lawnmowers, etc. He had a salvage yard behind the main building. A friend came into the service area and told my brother that a man was stealing a surplus engine from behind the building. My brother caught him. He made the guy take the engine to the front of the station. He told the guy to set the engine down on the pavement. My brother got a sledgehammer. (BTW: I wasn't there but a group of regulars formed a little crowd around the scene. I suspect they knew Henry was going to do something dramatic. My other brother was there. Lol). He took the sledgehammer and beat the engine to smithereens. He turned to the guy who tried to steal it and said: "All you would have had to do is ask for it".

If person picks up item(s) in a store and secrets them in their backpack and is challenged they did nothing wrong because they were going to take them back out of their pack and pay for them.

If they are not challenged they simply walk away.
Got it. :D :nod: :nod:

Ryder":1whi4gf0 said:
If person picks up item(s) in a store and secrets them on their backpack and is challenged they did nothing wrong because they were going to take them back out of their pack and pay for them.

If they are not challenged they simply walk away.
Got it. :D :nod: :nod:

Because stuffing a hatchet down your pants (or backpack) is SOO much easier than using a shopping cat of shopping basket........

slick4591":2rlf2269 said:
My former job was just that... a job. My oath didn't state that I had to change my personal views in life, just stated that I had to uphold the Constitution, laws of the United States and the laws of Texas to the best of my ability. When I retired no one excused me from that oath, so I still take it seriously. But, the question I asked wasn't about me. It was about you and your line. Apparently, you think it's okay for anyone to to steal and escape without consequences, or do you have a line?

As we see all the time, though, a person's beliefs don't necessarily end with the donning of a badge. We see sheriff departments refusing to hand over folks to ICE, and we see "constitutional" sheriffs who would refuse to cooperate with federal officials such as the Bundy fiasco. To answer your question, no I don't believe that a theft deserves execution. I can see an instance where that someone would believe they have the "right" to kill someone if said theft resulted in destitution, such as Bernie Madoff. But there is 0 justification for killing someone over a $15 dollar item. This will be an interesting case to follow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts