So please tell me, who's getting rich on the cow?

Help Support CattleToday:

Reasons to wean 450# calves:

1. Thats the heaviest calf that I can haul on my trailer and truck. If they go in the back seat, I have to wean at 350# and make special arrangements for unloading.

2. Thats what they weigh at 7 months. Time to get them off the cow and give her a years rest before she calves again. Takes some time for the cow to recover on my pasture and program.

3. 450# is pretty good for the breed I have. I invested big time in my bull to reach this level.

4. Someone on the internet said thats what should be done.

5. It works best for me in my situation. The cows came with the place and I have never spent a dime on their upkeep. All profit.

And the winner is: .............. Where did Steve Harvey go with the card?
:D

We haven't had rain in 7 month. I put my generator on back the farm truck yesterday and started pumping water.

I tested the market with a few stragglers and our bwf steers avg #440ish brought 1.80-1.85... little over $800. We have our smallest amount of inputs in them right now and the cows are still in good condition. We have grass that will sustain a cow but now sure it will sustain a milking cow.

We are going to clean house the next couple of weeks. We are going to get while the getting is good and live to fight another day.

We haven't had rain in 7 month. I put my generator on back the farm truck yesterday and started pumping water.

I tested the market with a few stragglers and our bwf steers avg #440ish brought 1.80-1.85... little over $800. We have our smallest amount of inputs in them right now and the cows are still in good condition. We have grass that will sustain a cow but now sure it will sustain a milking cow.

We are going to clean house the next couple of weeks. We are going to get while the getting is good and live to fight another day.
Yes, hard to impossible to maintain weaning weights in a severe drought. One strategy here is to wean/ship light calves at an early age to attempt to retain dry cows. Be interesting to see average weaning weights on a map of the US. I am sure that would tell a story about weights, drought and rainfall. Loss of grass and water calls for a different plan for sure.

At one time during history, there were no chemicals in farming. Ladybugs are natural pest controllers. Manure can fertilize quite well. Are there any tractors and combines nowadays that don't burn those dirty fossil fuels?

Man's sheer numbers: major environmental threat. Man has overpopulated well beyond ecological soundness.
. . .
Humans are too numerous for their own damn good.

So I'm interested to hear your solution. Are you just going to tell people to stop having children, or maybe you think we should start culling?

I have both sheep and cows, and have a dollar figure per head I hope to reach when I sell. I generally keep them long enough to come near that. Sometimes that means a little longer unweaned or weaned and kept a while.
Of course a down market can mess up this plan.
I like to see the high prices per pound but it is the dollars per head that counts.

So I'm interested to hear your solution. Are you just going to tell people to stop having children, or maybe you think we should start culling?
I'm just hoping man will start to get educated and ecologically-aware enough to limit his fertility habits on his own. Mother Nature will have a cure for overpopulation: mass human suffering and death. If there are too few people in the world then manpower is limited and modern civilization and technology can't be supported also. Tribal humans are low in numbers but they can only support a primitive hunter/gatherer society. I believe that we could support and sustain a modern industrial society (air conditioners, automobiles, infrastructure, cell phones) with about 1/10 our current world population according to something I read online a number of years ago. Organic farming on a wider scale might even be doable for such a much smaller population. A mere 1,000 people in the world can't support air conditioning, cars, flushing toilets, electricity, advanced medicine and all that other nice modern stuff. Such a small herd of humans could live like cavemen of African bushmen. One man alone can only produce so much over his lifetime. Modern civilization is a tam effort to make possible. Could you scratch-build an entire modern automobile all by yourself from raw materials in the earth? Like producing a measly pound of deli meat, we could have a nice conversation about how many hands are involved in making a new motor vehicle and who gets what cut of the money involved. Building a new car, there is the iron mine and the rubber farm, and what else?

Last edited:
I'm just hoping man will start to get educated and ecologically-aware enough to limit his fertility habits on his own. Mother Nature will have a cure for overpopulation: mass human suffering and death. If there are too few people in the world then manpower is limited and modern civilization and technology can't be supported also. Tribal humans are low in numbers but they can only support a primitive hunter/gatherer society. I believe that we could support and sustain a modern industrial society (air conditioners, automobiles, infrastructure, cell phones) with about 1/10 our current world population according to something I read online a number of years ago. Organic farming on a wider scale might even be doable for such a much smaller population. A mere 1,000 people in the world can't support air conditioning, cars, flushing toilets, electricity, advanced medicine and all that other nice modern stuff. Such a small herd of humans could live like cavemen of African bushmen. One man alone can only produce so much over his lifetime. Modern civilization is a tam effort to make possible. Could you scratch-build an entire modern automobile all by yourself from raw materials in the earth? Like producing a measly pound of deli meat, we could have a nice conversation about how many hands are involved in making a new motor vehicle and who gets what cut of the money involved. Building a new car, there is the iron mine and the rubber farm, and what else?
Compare what you just wrote with the Bible and see how it lines up. Who knows? You may be on to something, or...........

@burroughs85 , I don't know how old you are but you are living in a fantasy world if you think mankind will get smart and start limiting his fertility habits on his own. Or that they are willing to make the sacrifices necessary to have a healthier planet... The ones that are smart enough to do that are the ones that have half a lick of get up and go, self starter, individual common sense and some good old fashioned education. Those people are way out numbered by the ones that would rather have someone hand them a check every month, sit around and bemoan how unfair life is, too ornery or LAZY to get up and put on the overalls and go work in the sun, and have to have air conditioning for them to work up a sweat, think that they are worth what they think and not willing to settle for less money even if it is temporary and will keep them alive until better comes along. They want "people" to make sacrifices to have a healthier planet while they are living in the air conditioned house that is run on fossil fuels because the technology for wind and solar just isn't up to maintaining the demand. They refuse to think they are part of the problem... as they sit back and complain about the masses that are causing all these problems... yet a good proportion of "the masses" are the ones working jobs that pay the taxes that these entitled ones get their monthly checks off of.

I dare you to make the perfect farm work and come back and put it in my face.... that it is both Environmentally and ECONOMICALLY feasible....

You need to read and go see Malabar Farm and read the books by Louis Broomfield. It is the ultimate book on rejuvenating an old depleted farm from erosion and all... There is ALOT of great info, and practices in this book. It can be done to some extent. But not to produce the amount of food that needs to be grown to sustain the population and the DEMAND for cheaper food in this country especially. Read a small book called 10 Acres enough...by Edmund Morris... a great book on making a small acreage work...
This is all great reading and alot that can be put into daily practice even today...
So the question is how are you going to tell people they cannot have more children, that the population is too much... as one of the other posters mentioned... now you are looking at some serious issues of a catastrophic occurrence to cut the population back down to more Manageable levels .... where are you going to draw the lines as to who and what and where...
You just can't sit and HOPE, people are going to come to their senses... there has to be some sort of "plan" or vision or something and then how are you going to implement it??? There is all that talk about Bill Gates and his thoughts about population control....do you want him making those decisions?

What are you willing to give up or sacrifice??? Not the air conditioning that you need if you sweat, not donning overalls and going out and working in the hot sun, because Mexicans will do it for cheaper, not the deli ham that has preservatives like nitrites that are known to cause some cancers and heart issues....but you want farmers to stop using chemicals that do cause some problems, or that they use chemical fertilizers in order to get higher yields so that food is not as costly, you want them to use lady bugs for the pest control when they can only do a small part... YES a valuable small part, but they cannot do it all with the scale of ag that is required to keep food on the shelves.... are you willing to go without more, in order for others to also have a small part to survive??? Who makes the choices of who can eat and who cannot... finances??? How is that fair??? If that is the case, then I am not going to allow my taxes to contribute to the welfare/gov't. checks that get handed out to all those that won't work so I guess they can all slowly starve....I can make less, spend less and survive.... can you?

@burroughs85 , I don't know how old you are but you are living in a fantasy world if you think mankind will get smart and start limiting his fertility habits on his own. Or that they are willing to make the sacrifices necessary to have a healthier planet... The ones that are smart enough to do that are the ones that have half a lick of get up and go, self starter, individual common sense and some good old fashioned education. Those people are way out numbered by the ones that would rather have someone hand them a check every month, sit around and bemoan how unfair life is, too ornery or LAZY to get up and put on the overalls and go work in the sun, and have to have air conditioning for them to work up a sweat, think that they are worth what they think and not willing to settle for less money even if it is temporary and will keep them alive until better comes along. They want "people" to make sacrifices to have a healthier planet while they are living in the air conditioned house that is run on fossil fuels because the technology for wind and solar just isn't up to maintaining the demand. They refuse to think they are part of the problem... as they sit back and complain about the masses that are causing all these problems... yet a good proportion of "the masses" are the ones working jobs that pay the taxes that these entitled ones get their monthly checks off of.

I dare you to make the perfect farm work and come back and put it in my face.... that it is both Environmentally and ECONOMICALLY feasible....

You need to read and go see Malabar Farm and read the books by Louis Broomfield. It is the ultimate book on rejuvenating an old depleted farm from erosion and all... There is ALOT of great info, and practices in this book. It can be done to some extent. But not to produce the amount of food that needs to be grown to sustain the population and the DEMAND for cheaper food in this country especially. Read a small book called 10 Acres enough...by Edmund Morris... a great book on making a small acreage work...
This is all great reading and alot that can be put into daily practice even today...
So the question is how are you going to tell people they cannot have more children, that the population is too much... as one of the other posters mentioned... now you are looking at some serious issues of a catastrophic occurrence to cut the population back down to more Manageable levels .... where are you going to draw the lines as to who and what and where...
You just can't sit and HOPE, people are going to come to their senses... there has to be some sort of "plan" or vision or something and then how are you going to implement it??? There is all that talk about Bill Gates and his thoughts about population control....do you want him making those decisions?

What are you willing to give up or sacrifice??? Not the air conditioning that you need if you sweat, not donning overalls and going out and working in the hot sun, because Mexicans will do it for cheaper, not the deli ham that has preservatives like nitrites that are known to cause some cancers and heart issues....but you want farmers to stop using chemicals that do cause some problems, or that they use chemical fertilizers in order to get higher yields so that food is not as costly, you want them to use lady bugs for the pest control when they can only do a small part... YES a valuable small part, but they cannot do it all with the scale of ag that is required to keep food on the shelves.... are you willing to go without more, in order for others to also have a small part to survive??? Who makes the choices of who can eat and who cannot... finances??? How is that fair??? If that is the case, then I am not going to allow my taxes to contribute to the welfare/gov't. checks that get handed out to all those that won't work so I guess they can all slowly starve....I can make less, spend less and survive.... can you?
Age 57 for the record, my mother had an Ecology Now bumper sticker on her 1970 air-cooled Volkswagen as well as a McGovern 1972 bumper sticker. Mother knows best what is best for Mother Earth. California pisses away scarce water for worthless crops like almonds.

I don't ever expect man to do anything right. I can only cross my fingers and wish as well as preach some Mother Earth Green Gospel.

I am collecting a VA Pension check right now for disabling health conditions. Still I get taxed 9% on groceries in Oklahoma. Army Veteran, honorably discharged in 1995, Persian Gulf Vet. The Jeramiah Johnson rugged individual types, the Swiss well protected in those Alps, the tribal peoples and the Amish types will be the sole survivors of a worldwide nuclear holocaust or worldwide famine and/or drought, if nobody else, god forbid.

Last edited:
Wait a second... wait just one gott-dang second...

Tuck your pants in your boots old sons, I got a feeling the bull**** is about to get even deeper.

Age 57 for the record, my mother had an Ecology Now bumper sticker on her 1970 air-cooled Volkswagen as well as a McGovern 1972 bumper sticker. Mother knows best what is best for Mother Earth. California pisses away scarce water for worthless crops like almonds.

I don't ever expect man to do anything right. I can only cross my fingers and wish as well as preach some Mother Earth Green Gospel.
Now, Mr. Al Gore, as you read to us from your modified Georgia Guidestones... weren't you just a few pages ago crapping on anything that wasn't black angus beef? Surely, a staunch environmentalist and humanitarian such as yourself would never wish upon sweet ol' Mother Nature the absolutely devastating tax of supporting those massive black slabsides and the horrific impact on the environment that enlarging our beef has had! Surely, a man of your ecological sensibilities would only ever condone raising and eating natural cattle that are one step removed from wild, right? After all, if they didn't evolve without our direct manipulation, they surely aren't nature's way! Think of the impact we've had raising these massive black shinies to feed the overpopulated urbanite damned.

No, an environmentalist like yourself could surely only ever eat grass fed, no fence, truck and trailer free longhorn beef, run down and stabbed by your neo-tribal band of electric-age Bushmen.

Aw, hell, I think it's done rose above my boots now.

You have an interesting worldview. One that I do not share, but interesting nonetheless…

I'm just hoping man will start to get educated and ecologically-aware enough to limit his fertility habits on his own. Mother Nature will have a cure for overpopulation: mass human suffering and death.
It's a common worldview by the 1/3 that have science as their god.
Have to end there as this thread is becoming too political ect to post here.

Wait a second... wait just one gott-dang second...

Tuck your pants in your boots old sons, I got a feeling the bull**** is about to get even deeper.

Now, Mr. Al Gore, as you read to us from your modified Georgia Guidestones... weren't you just a few pages ago crapping on anything that wasn't black angus beef? Surely, a staunch environmentalist and humanitarian such as yourself would never wish upon sweet ol' Mother Nature the absolutely devastating tax of supporting those massive black slabsides and the horrific impact on the environment that enlarging our beef has had! Surely, a man of your ecological sensibilities would only ever condone raising and eating natural cattle that are one step removed from wild, right? After all, if they didn't evolve without our direct manipulation, they surely aren't nature's way! Think of the impact we've had raising these massive black shinies to feed the overpopulated urbanite damned.

No, an environmentalist like yourself could surely only ever eat grass fed, no fence, truck and trailer free longhorn beef, run down and stabbed by your neo-tribal band of electric-age Bushmen.

Aw, hell, I think it's done rose above my boots now.

I believe in hunting wild game too according to wildlife management sensibilities and the laws. Even Bill Clinton goes hunting. I would prefer that Angus beef to be organically grown. Methane from cow farts doesn't bother me but burnt fossils fuels is another horse of another color.

I believe in hunting wild game too according to wildlife management sensibilities and the laws. Even Bill Clinton goes hunting. I would prefer that Angus beef to be organically grown. Methane from cow farts doesn't bother me but burnt fossils fuels is another horse of another color.
Did you hear the whoosh? I think something went over your head.

It's a common worldview by the 1/3 that have science as their god.
Have to end there as this thread is becoming too political ect to post here.
I don't give two damns about politics or religion: I care about my health, my life and my well-being. Without beef and milk, without cows, my life would be terrible.

You have an interesting worldview. One that I do not share, but interesting nonetheless…
I've obtained these "crazy" notions of mine from my mother, from California schooling, from books, from television, from radio, from Google, from YouTube and from living 57 years on Mothers Earth's face. I can't put myself in the work boots of any ag-biz person because I've never been there for even one second. Ag people tend to be narrow-minded and might have a dim view of the whole world anyway. I have a dim view of man's ruthless destruction of this planet for selfish reasons. You can share it with me or toss it in the heap with the manure.

I've obtained these "crazy" notions of mine from my mother, from California schooling, from books, from television, from radio, from Google, from YouTube and from living 57 years on Mothers Earth's face. I can' put myself in the work boots of any ag-biz person because I've never been there for even one second. Ag people tend to be narrow-minded and might have a dim view of the whole world anyway. I have a dim view of man's ruthless destruction of this planet for selfish reasons. You can share it with me or toss it in the heap with the manure.
So, you have no AG experience?

Latest posts