So please tell me, who's getting rich on the cow?

Help Support CattleToday:

So, you have no AG experience?
Well, my family had a few miniature pet goats from Africa and some hens for eggs if that counts. The eggs were for family consumption. I've planted a small tomato garden. My family has had a vegetable garden. Summer squash. Corn. Pumpkins. Cucumbers. Cantaloupe. Melons. Beans. But nothing that might qualify as a "farm".

I have interest in the scope of this site. I don't raise cows but still find them fascinating, as well as delicious, let's say.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't give two damns about politics or religion: I care about my health, my life and my well-being. Without beef and milk, without cows, my life would be terrible.
That's clear. But you're bringing in McGovern, Bill Clinton and preaching Mother Earth's Green Gospel which should all be posted in political/religious forum, not a thread on cattle profit and who gets them.

That's clear. But you're bringing in McGovern, Bill Clinton and preaching Mother Earth's Green Gospel which should be posted in political/religious forum, not a thread on cattle profit and who gets them.
Somebody else here crapped on my thread already and turned it upside down and inside out. I thought I would just hop on the bandwagon and join the party.

The "preaching" and "Gospel" parts were meant to be sarcasm, not literal true religious faith. My faith is in science and nature.

U guys....

You both need a bottle calf or something.
I can't agree with SOME of the stuff posted. But I hope @burroughs85 has a genuine interest.
Not all ag is run the same way. There's lots and lots of small farms who run sustainable practices and enjoy it. I think if more folks would try, the world would be a better place

No need to lock it.
Just move it to the controversial part of the forum... just a suggestion

When we get idiots here and it happens from time to time, the best thing to do is ignore. One can hit the button or just simply don't read or respond to what they say.
About to have a bunch of threads that make no sense, until I sneak and read the ignored content, and remember quite quickly why I ignore everything from that person. They lose any chance to give good information…

I'm just hoping man will start to get educated and ecologically-aware enough to limit his fertility habits on his own. Mother Nature will have a cure for overpopulation: mass human suffering and death. If there are too few people in the world then manpower is limited and modern civilization and technology can't be supported also. Tribal humans are low in numbers but they can only support a primitive hunter/gatherer society. I believe that we could support and sustain a modern industrial society (air conditioners, automobiles, infrastructure, cell phones) with about 1/10 our current world population according to something I read online a number of years ago. Organic farming on a wider scale might even be doable for such a much smaller population. A mere 1,000 people in the world can't support air conditioning, cars, flushing toilets, electricity, advanced medicine and all that other nice modern stuff. Such a small herd of humans could live like cavemen of African bushmen. One man alone can only produce so much over his lifetime. Modern civilization is a tam effort to make possible. Could you scratch-build an entire modern automobile all by yourself from raw materials in the earth? Like producing a measly pound of deli meat, we could have a nice conversation about how many hands are involved in making a new motor vehicle and who gets what cut of the money involved. Building a new car, there is the iron mine and the rubber farm, and what else?
People of your opinions tend to romanticise the old days to justify their views. History proves it was quite different. I suggest you look at true numbers of death rates before fossil fuels.

I agree we need to be mindful and every thing needs balance.

So among the human lot, who is right and who is wrong by whose standards? I think most here will agree that mother nature and father time will prevail no matter which direction man tries to go in the future. It just might be a miserable experience for man depending upon the choices man makes. Still man could possibly "do, or try to do, everything right" by whosever 's standards and still fail. It's just a matter of time. Time will tell. Has man always made wise choices?

Historically farmers and especially ranchers have been Stuart's of the land and nature. I was government that told us to "farm fence row to fence row" and " get big or get out" Most of us want to make a living symbolically with nature.

5 days ago, I bought a pound of Boar's Head deli roast beef at a Commissary at Fort Sill, OK. It was $15.29 to be exact out of my pocket plus a fee I had to pay on top of that to maintain the Commissary in lieu of a sales tax. A certain number of folks got a slice of my financial pie. Interesting as the devil. I'm considering trying a slow-roast roast beef next time at home to save money. I don't have a deli meat slicer though.

Historically farmers and especially ranchers have been Stuart's of the land and nature. I was government that told us to "farm fence row to fence row" and " get big or get out" Most of us want to make a living symbolically with nature.
The planet earth is of limited size, mass and space and its natural resources are not unlimited. The days of fossil fuels are numbered at the rate they are being used today. The glaciers are melting and the seas are rising.

The planet earth is of limited size, mass and space and its natural resources are not unlimited. The days of fossil fuels are numbered at the rate they are being used today. The glaciers are melting and the seas are rising.
I would suggest you learn to go easy on the Thunder Hay and whatever else you are on.

Back to original question. I might not be rich, but my little 50 head of mommas pay all my bills and let me play all I want.
Heading to Kauai in a few weeks, if government doesn't screw up flying.
Living a great life.
My cheapest calf sold last year were my steers at over $1000 each sold direct to a feedlot. Some steers for $1500 for show steers and 5 bull calves for $1850. All sold in October after weaned and pre-conditioned.
My lowest price heifer $2500, highest $8000.
Now, you can complain to me that my cows are too big. 😆 🤣
9 cows 10+ years old with great feet and udders. Oldest is 16, calved and bred back. Had a set of twin heifers last fall while we were at a show. Due 9.28 this fall. Raised both heifers.
Bragging again...yes. My cows deserve praise.

Rationalizing irrational thinking is a losing battle. You wind up in a tail spin.

I've got a garden, cattle for the freezer, chickens, bees and a good life. Nothing special. No "look at me" situations. We plant trees. We do not litter. We are good stewards of our little pieces of ground. No need in pointing fingers. No need in raising flags. Life is good and I am still part of it.

Rationalizing irrational thinking is a losing battle. You wind up in a tail spin.

I've got a garden, cattle for the freezer, chickens, bees and a good life. Nothing special. No "look at me" situations. We plant trees. We do not litter. We are good stewards of our little pieces of ground. No need in pointing fingers. No need in raising flags. Life is good and I am still part of it.
That's all you can do... take care of you.

I have 'Stuart's ' in my family. They broke and wrecked the country.

Latest posts