Please explain

Help Support CattleToday:

Don't trust an auctioneer who says this animal won't throw horned calves. Too many times I have seen an auctioneer get it wrong.
As for me, you can take horns from my cold dead hands. That is my line in the sand, the activists won't stop with dehorning. Look at New Zealand, first dehorning was banned, then live animal exports were banned and now they want to cull the beef herd by 30%.
From studying pedigrees, it is obvious that at a minimum half polled cattle are better than homozygous polled cattle.

What is a "half polled"? Only one horn? In what way are they "better than homozygous polled cattle"?
Heterozygous polled F1 cross. The Polled Hereford breeders admit it by choosing to use heterozygous bulls over their homozygous brothers. Off the top of my head I can think of several popular sires out of polled parents that carried the horn gene: P606, Trust, Hometown, Moler, About Time and 88x had horns.

Heterozygous polled F1 cross. The Polled Hereford breeders admit it by choosing to use heterozygous bulls over their homozygous brothers. Off the top of my head I can think of several popular sires out of polled parents that carried the horn gene: P606, Trust, Hometown, Moler, About Time and 88x had horns.
My grandad always used horned hereford bull on his brangus cows because they seemed to carry better bone than the polled. They make for some dandy super baldies.

Latest posts