So please tell me, who's getting rich on the cow?

Help Support CattleToday:

Yeah, I know. ;) That's why I get to rent this farm and the "big boys" don't .
NRCS was giving free oak trees away, but they come in bundles of 25. I stopped yesterday and asked my land lord if he cared if I plant some along the creek in this buffer area that isn't in the pasture. He thought that was a great idea. It in theory will help off set all the hedge trees that I'm clearing out of the pastures. I told my land lord if the deer eat them all we'll just plant more next year.
It amazes me how they'll spend thousands to tear out all the brush to farm right up to the edge, then spend thousands more on rip rap and tile/dry dams to stop the gullies that weren't there before. All for a few more rows. Never done the math, but I'd guess the payout many times would be 50-70 years or more on gained production.

It amazes me how they'll spend thousands to tear out all the brush to farm right up to the edge, then spend thousands more on rip rap and tile/dry dams to stop the gullies that weren't there before. All for a few more rows. Never done the math, but I'd guess the payout many times would be 50-70 years or more on gained production.
My parents have a neighbor who tore out all the fence and trees then planted 4 rows on the state right-a-way. He only did that one year.

A friend just spent $1000/acre with an excavator. Turning a pasture into a field. He said he should be able to pay half of that in the first year with current grain prices.

My parents have a neighbor who tore out all the fence and trees then planted 4 rows on the state right-a-way. He only did that one year.

A friend just spent $1000/acre with an excavator. Turning a pasture into a field. He said he should be able to pay half of that in the first year with current grain prices.
He very well could this year. Most of the brush clearing doesn't gain enough to pay for the problems caused though, especially on the edges.

He very well could this year. Most of the brush clearing doesn't gain enough to pay for the problems caused though, especially on the edges.
That pasture had a unique problem; a neighbor that complained about everything, but wasn't willing to help pay to fix the problem. The fence between that was non existent so my buddy rented the neighbors little pasture. The neighbor wouldn't help pay for a new fence.
I think the final straw was when the neighbor called to complain that the cows were walking in the same path and killing the grass. He thought my buddy should reseed the path and get the cows to walk somewhere else.

That pasture had a unique problem; a neighbor that complained about everything, but wasn't willing to help pay to fix the problem. The fence between that was non existent so my buddy rented the neighbors little pasture. The neighbor wouldn't help pay for a new fence.
I think the final straw was when the neighbor called to complain that the cows were walking in the same path and killing the grass. He thought my buddy should reseed the path and get the cows to walk somewhere else.
Sometimes the hardest landlords are the retired ones. The longer they're out of it the better they were.

He (or she) sounds about as smart as one of my father's customers when he was doing commercial hay work. His buddy was baling, and he said the land owner chased him down after he'd been baling for a while to let him know the baler was broken . . . the round bales weren't tied.

Latest posts