Need opinion please

Help Support CattleToday:

Jrebyank

Reaction score
I have been back into the cattle business for about three years now. I have 10 moma cows and a bull. About half the heifers I bought 3 years ago became good to average Moma's that raise a average to above average calf. Here is the problem. The other half do not seem to winter well, have enough milk to raise a decent calf and some are not calving in a timely manner. It seems funny that I bought so many culls at 50%. Am I doing something wrong?

If you bought them with no information on their background, for example, buying them at a salebarn or from someone you did not know, it is likely you got some poorer quality stock.

If you are a beginner, contact some local sources, like a veterinarian or county Agricultural Agent. They can direct you to good sellers. Tell them the breed you are interested in, that you are planning a cow/calf operation, and the kind of forage you have.

When you buy good stock with high expectations, it is a downer to see poor performance.

When your expectations are not that good and you get high performers, it is a plus.

Cull and then cull some more. That is the name of the game. Some cattle will thrive where others will not. You need animals that are suited for your operation.

An old guy told me this a while back and it makes a whole lotta sense. "YOU have to be the predator in your herd". Pick off the weak links for the greater good.

backhoeboogie":3aompewc said:
When you buy good stock with high expectations, it is a downer to see poor performance.

When your expectations are not that good and you get high performers, it is a plus.

Cull and then cull some more. That is the name of the game. Some cattle will thrive where others will not. You need animals that are suited for your operation.

Yep he needs a better cow. Ruthless culling.

Latest posts