Need working facility

Help Support CattleToday:

Local sale barn? What's that?

Is 5-7 hours local? Hahaha
We are closer than you but it is still 75 miles to either sale barn. I know of nobody here who will haul a trailer load. Unless you are talking a semi trailer load. Virtually everyone here has a trailer or 2 or even 3. Probably a quarter of them have their own semi with a cattle trailer. Neighbors will help neighbors but there is a difference between 4 or 5 neighbors helping to move some cattle and one person taking a few head to the sale. Trailer dealer? We don't even have a gas station or a grocery store. It is a big old world out there with lots of differences.

We are closer than you but it is still 75 miles to either sale barn. I know of nobody here who will haul a trailer load. Unless you are talking a semi trailer load. Virtually everyone here has a trailer or 2 or even 3. Probably a quarter of them have their own semi with a cattle trailer. Neighbors will help neighbors but there is a difference between 4 or 5 neighbors helping to move some cattle and one person taking a few head to the sale. Trailer dealer? We don't even have a gas station or a grocery store. It is a big old world out there with lots of differences.
I see my neighbour now has 3 tri-axle liners in his yard.

The point is... we find a way. Being negative and throwing our hands in the air gets nothing done.

I have a trailer so it was a rhetorical question. But I feel like many of you guys often forget that in many places there isn't just guys to hire for things on every corner.

Trailer dealer? We are lucky to have a grocery store. Lol
We know it but get tired of putting a disclaimer on every post. At some point we just assume if it doesn't apply to people they will just keep reading.

I have a trailer so it was a rhetorical question. But I feel like many of you guys often forget that in many places there isn't just guys to hire for things on every corner.

Trailer dealer? We are lucky to have a grocery store. Lol
I realize some of you need a trialer and i understand that. But a person who has 10 cows or even 20 cows probably can hire it done cheaper.
I hauled a load yesterday and will probably haul another load in a few minutes but im not the normal producer. For me its part of life. I rarely go 5 days without hauling something. Sometimes 5 to 10 loads a week.
But im one of those Damn cow traders.

Last edited:
I realize some of you need a trialer and i understand that. But a person who has 10 cows or enen 20 cows probably can hire it done cheaper.
I hauled a load yesterday and will probably haul another load in a few minutes but im not the nornal producer. For me its part of life. I rarely go 5 days without hauling something. Sometimes 5 to 10 loads a week.
But im one of those Damn cow traders.
LOL... I've hauled a lot of cows in trailers I bought for $100 and had to find wheels and tires, and put a floor in before I could use it.

You can only hire it cheaper if there is someone to hire... haha

I haven't seen a $100 trailer that was worth scrapping let alone hauling animals in. 2 years ago I sold my rusted out 18' gn trailer in need of complete new steel frame and floor for $1200 and it sold within 30min so it went too cheap. Ha

You can only hire it cheaper if there is someone to hire... haha

I haven't seen a $100 trailer that was worth scrapping let alone hauling animals in. 2 years ago I sold my rusted out 18' gn trailer in need of complete new steel frame and floor for $1200 and it sold within 30min so it went too cheap. Ha
I understand that completely. But it seem like here everyone with 3 cows or more have to have a new truck and a new cattle trailer.
Mine is a 2001 model Dodge truck with a 2002 Wilson trailer. I paid for them in the first year hauling cattle. But didn't sleep much. Most people here dont need a trailer but want a trailer.

Big fan of the flag. Not so much the hot shot. But there's always the tried-and-true sorting stick and even pool noodles. Got a couple rattle-panel-sorting-stick-thingies at a Livestock Association meeting and I hate them, as do the cattle.

That said, your demeanor is generally the best way to move cattle. And work with them by reading their behavior, watch their flight zones.
I have about 3 flags, 2 rattle paddles, several assorted sorting sticks, and 2 hot shots. But my preferred method involves a couple of the well mounted cowboy neighbors and me sitting in the shade. When they get the job done I get them their preferred cold beverage out of the frig in the shop.

I use to have a picture of a guy who had a house beside a field office we had. He bought a little horse and saddle and stuff and was getting all rigged out. One day we saw him hook up like a 5x8 utility trailer with the ramp. One like you would use for a mower or atv. He put it behind his little suv. The guy walked the little horse up on it and tied it off. We were all watching out the window. It was about 100yds from his house to the pavement. He took off and the little horse was not going for it so he stopped and walked it back to the house. You could see the disappointment on his face.

You see that stuff on the enet all the time but don't know what to think. It was wild to actually see in real life. The whole office was peaking out the blinds watching. 🤣

All the barns I've been to, you can't throw a rock without hitting someone wearing a cowboy hat, with a dodge dually a gooseneck trailer with a saddled up horse in the front of it. He would haul those 6 calves cheaper than what the fuel costs just to be able to bring something into the barn. I just assumed it was that way everywhere. 🤷‍♂️

Good deal. Let us know how you like it.
I have backed a gooseneck trailer more miles than most people have pulled one forwards, but im terrible backing a bumper hitch.
It's still a different world backing a gooseneck vs a bumper pull but you can get in some tight places if needed

A lot cheaper to hire than buy a new trailer and a shiny truck to pull it.
I think everyone misunderstood about the trailer. I did not trade it in for a new one. I traded my used for a slightly better used that I could actually pull with my truck. I've actually had my truck for a few years now. I told myself since I was younger that once I could afford a nice vehicle I will buy one. I got sick and tired of driving junk in school and college. So vehicles are a big issue with me unfortunately. That and trying to buy any and every acre I can afford

Latest posts