What do you think of this calf? I need a critique.

Help Support CattleToday:

I came across this picture last night. The heifer pictured above and her momma. Now that they're both older they really look alike. Head and ears, big red patch at the shoulders. I know there is debate about buying replacements or raising your own and I get it, but it sure is fun to watch them as they develop.

IMG_20200503_084015~2.jpg

Red patch is from copper deficiency as a rule.
Are some more susceptible to that than others? It's more prominent on these two than any of the others. My sample size is pretty small even amongst the hobbyist.

Are some more susceptible to that than others? It's more prominent on these two than any of the others. My sample size is pretty small even amongst the hobbyist.
Yes, some are better able to metabolize the available copper, some are less able to but if the soil and forage are lacking in any element, it will have some effect on all even if not visually evident.

Soil fertility is managed one of three ways here - mis, mal, or non. There are deficiencies. I'm also going to look at the mineral. We don't have a lot of options locally. No good ones. I've just been using their better one, but I may need to go up Jan's way for it. It don't take much for the number I have.

Latest posts