Some days you just need a bit of luck

Help Support CattleToday:

CowboyRam

Reaction score
This morning my uncle called and said I had a cow with a broken leg. It turns out she tried to walk the cattle guard. Dad and I hook on the stock trailer and toss in several stock panels and off to the ranch we go. Set up a small corral and walked her right in to the trailer. It was slow and easy. Not sure what I am going to do with this cow. Maybe keep her until fall and sell her with all my culls, or fatten her up and butcher her.

Luck is what you need. We had a year old heifer that wouldn't even stand up last winter. She had a broken leg and was down over the hill by the fence. We drug her up the hill into the grass. Was gonna end it therebut figured I'd feed and water her for a day or two to see what happens as she didn't seem in pain she just wouldn't walk and when we made her stand up her leg was hanging. After a few days we could get her walking on 3 legs very short distances. Now it's 4 months later and she walks fine. Not sure we will breed her, likely gonna be freezer beef but I wouldn't be afraid to give yours time to see if she heals. Sometimes luck is on your side.

Back when I was around 14 years old, me my brother and a friend decided we wanted to raise sheep?
We were pulling a little two wheel trailer with a ewe and a ram in it , we looked back and the trailer gate was open, we stopped and the ram jumped out and ran down the county road with us right behind him , we got him turned around, he ran straight towards the trailer and jumped right back in the trailer, we made sure that gate was secured after that.

Well I'm not going to be able to go get my stock panels today. They got a bit over an inch of rain at the ranch. That is unheard of for that county, and here at the farm in Riverton we hardly even got a tenth. I guess there is water standing everywhere.

Well I'm not going to be able to go get my stock panels today. They got a bit over an inch of rain at the ranch. That is unheard of for that county, and here at the farm in Riverton we hardly even got a tenth. I guess there is water standing everywhere.
This year s the best monsoon season in years for Wyoming.

We had a guy heading to the butcher with a Yak in his trailer. Well, evidently the son didn't latch the back gate and the YAK went out the back of trailer heading up a steep hill on Rt 90 going (at least) 55 MPH. Dad didn't know until he got to the butcher to unload him! Backtracked and found him roaming yards on Rt 90. Got him to a dairy farm but couldn't get it loaded, so butcher came out with his rifle and dropped him out in pasture. Butcher said there wasn't ONE bruise on that animal's carcass!

This morning my uncle called and said I had a cow with a broken leg. It turns out she tried to walk the cattle guard. Dad and I hook on the stock trailer and toss in several stock panels and off to the ranch we go. Set up a small corral and walked her right in to the trailer. It was slow and easy. Not sure what I am going to do with this cow. Maybe keep her until fall and sell her with all my culls, or fatten her up and butcher her.
I just sent a 500 pound calf to the butcher last week. Broken leg at the sale barn and cheap enough to take a chance on. I couldn't get him in for a week so went out every four hours or so to get him on his feet. The carcass is fine. I expect he will be good eating.

It's a shame he broke his leg. There were three steers with broken legs that went through one after the other. High quality animals and he was the last and the best. Something bad happened and someone took a big loss. Gotta wonder what happened...

This is where an old steel stock trailer with panel hangers welded or clamped on comes in handy.
I need to weld some on our trailer, but I also want to trade it off for a newer one. It's starting to get pretty rusted out, so I think I will wait.

I just sent a 500 pound calf to the butcher last week. Broken leg at the sale barn and cheap enough to take a chance on. I couldn't get him in for a week so went out every four hours or so to get him on his feet. The carcass is fine. I expect he will be good eating.

It's a shame he broke his leg. There were three steers with broken legs that went through one after the other. High quality animals and he was the last and the best. Something bad happened and someone took a big loss. Gotta wonder what happened...
We had a calf that froze off both front hooves. He got caught in an old junk gate, and by the time I got to him the damage was done. That cow was a great mom, she would go over to him to feed him. To bad she came open a couple years later, she could only see out of one eye, but as a great mother. I think we got him to about 5 or 6 hundred pounds before he went the butcher, had him turned into hamburger. That was the worse meat we ever had. I gave him a garlic block for fly control, but I am not sure if that was the issue. The meat tasted tainted. I am wondering if the butcher didn't let him cool out before grinding, or maybe it was not our meet.

A friend took a steer to the same butcher, he was wanting a wet weight so he could charge his customer. Five days later he was finally able to get a hold of him and they had not butchered him yet, but they said they were feeding it and it probably gained ten pounds. Needless to say he called the sheriff and went down there to pick up his steer; he didn't want them to say he stole someone else's beef. He, or I have use that butcher anymore.