The not so fun part...

Help Support CattleToday:

Been there and done it.

Some stuff, they just have no business knowing.. (But I think Crown Royal is a legit expense if ya use it to bribe the dozer operator to work a couple more hours a day. I didn't know he was gonna drink it while running the thing. Knocked down about 75' of new fence late one day)
The good ol days. I use to get at least 10 bottles around Christmas. I still have quite a few sets of the bottles with the glasses up in my cabinets. They don't do that stuff any more, now.

Started tonight getting our tax stuff together . Wife and I have a cardboard box under the computer table . All receipts go in the box . All farm and mowing stuff goes on the left end of the table and personal stuff on the right. Got most of the personal receipts sorted . Tax appointment mid March .
I am starting tomorrow to go in and fill in a year's worth of entries on my QuickBooks. I will do 4 months a day...about 4-5 hours a day. And, I am telling myself that this time I will go ahead and do the past 2 months, then make an entry every day I get or spend money going forward. But I know I won't. :mad:

We pay my mother to keep up with the ranch I take care of. A couple years ago I built the spreadsheet and hosted it on one drive. She just downloads the bank info in every couple months and categorizes it. I just skim through it now. She flags stuff she is not sure about. It's been the best money spent.

This was a sore spot with my boss's accountant. She wouldn't do it the way I wanted so I hired some one else. 🤣

Last edited:
I am starting tomorrow to go in and fill in a year's worth of entries on my QuickBooks. I will do 4 months a day...about 4-5 hours a day. And, I am telling myself that this time I will go ahead and do the past 2 months, then make an entry every day I get or spend money going forward. But I know I won't. :mad:
Sounds like me ! I say I'm going to do it month by month but I never do . My wife will have all our personal stuff done by the end of Feb . I'll have mine the night before we go to see our tax lady .

When I retired I just wanted to disappear off the face of the planet as far as the tax man goes and so far it has worked. Financially I would be better off if I did a return claiming back input taxes however it is my contribution to keeping my government in the manner to which they are accustomed

Ken

(But I think Crown Royal is a legit expense if ya use it to bribe the dozer operator to work a couple more hours a day. I didn't know he was gonna drink it while running the thing. Knocked down about 75' of new fence late one day)
But the new fence then became write off! Next time don't give him the whisky till he is on his way home!

I used to do Turbo Tax before I had head injury at work, and was cut loose. Did good with Turbo tax before. Then after the head injury, IRS wrote me two years in a row because I was not doing it right. Hmmm, not only did my employer think I was off in the head now, so did IRS. So I figured I was better to let someone else enter it and charge me as of 2022, $400. This year, I am so freaking excited to see how much they charge. If it goes up to the next level, I will go back and try Turbo Tax. The worst thing that can happen is they have to feed me for 6 month or so in the jail.

I used to do Turbo Tax before I had head injury at work, and was cut loose. Did good with Turbo tax before. Then after the head injury, IRS wrote me two years in a row because I was not doing it right. Hmmm, not only did my employer think I was off in the head now, so did IRS. So I figured I was better to let someone else enter it and charge me as of 2022, $400. This year, I am so freaking excited to see how much they charge. If it goes up to the next level, I will go back and try Turbo Tax. The worst thing that can happen is they have to feed me for 6 month or so in the jail.
I wish I could get mine done for $400.
Two different companies, 2k-$2,500.00 each.
Bad as paying taxes

That's crazy. For that kind of money a couple or three days of doing it myself works out to pretty good money per hour.
I've heard guys talk about spending $30K or more to do their taxes. That's a good problem to have but hard to comprehend for some one like me. 😄

I've heard guys talk about spending $30K or more to do their taxes. That's a good problem to have but hard to comprehend for some one like me. 😄
Yeah... I had a year I owed 48K to the IRS and although I sympathize with people bitching about their tax rates it's a problem I would gladly accept on a yearly basis.

Of course assuming that the 30K tax prep bill means that the amount is due to so much money in so many investments that the 30K is peanuts...

It is crazy, she's been doing mine for over forty years, I'm thinking about finding another outfit?
I'm not doing it myself, just too much to deal with.
That lady that wanted to charge me $800 was my brother's accountant. So he recommended her. I guess I should have asked what she charged, but didn't even imagine it would be what it was. And then I told my brother what it cost me for the Turbo Tax and the results being so close... and he is still paying that lady to do his taxes. But he has money to burn, so it's no big deal to him.

Reading about what we have to pay to have taxes prepared and then paying the taxes, I think we need a crying emoji added to the mix. It sure fits the situation so often. Ha-ha!! -with tears.