Show your calf pictures.

Help Support CattleToday:

One of the girls gave a late Valentines Day present when she birthed this morning. My new favorite of all born in the last couple weeks. Told husband that I never want to sale this heifer calf...

BrangusUSA":7i0fe4qd said:

One of the girls gave a late Valentines Day present when she birthed this morning. My new favorite of all born in the last couple weeks. Told husband that I never want to sale this heifer calf...

Love the marking on her head. Very unique.

Should probably direct this question to Jeanne but one of you that use Sim might know; when the calves grow up will those white markings stay the same or change? I just wondered because I know that a lot of calves change from tan/cocoa to darken to black as they shed and get older. Did not know about the markings.

Lazy M":1ppgddwn said:
True Grit Farms":1ppgddwn said:
Nice. Really like the red heifer.

Thanks Lazy M, she's out of a really good Angus cow. I put the calf to where the heifer could smell and lick on the calf after a really hard pull. Then went to the house for a cup of coffee and a hotshot and she was up when I got back. Hopefully she'll breed back, I've had a few heifers that I couldn't get to settle after hard pulls for some reason the last few years. And the really weird thing is they have all been red baldies which only make up a 1/4 of my herd.

True Grit Farms":3nsl4fez said:
Lazy M":3nsl4fez said:
True Grit Farms":3nsl4fez said:
Nice. Really like the red heifer.

Thanks Lazy M, she's out of a really good Angus cow. I put the calf to where the heifer could smell and lick on the calf after a really hard pull. Then went to the house for a cup of coffee and a hotshot and she was up when I got back. Hopefully she'll breed back, I've had a few heifers that I couldn't get to settle after hard pulls for some reason the last few years. And the really weird thing is they have all been red baldies which only make up a 1/4 of my herd.
Glad you found her in time and that she got up. The calf doesn't look very big, but the heifer looks pretty thick boned.

A couple of more calves this morning. The one by the chute was covered in mud and soaked. I held the bulls out to tighten things up and it worked. I thought all the bulls were doing was fighting, guess I missed seeing them working.

1st set of twins 2-17-18, both are great!

Woke up this morning to find a 2nd set, but one didn't make it. May never have another set of twins, but it's been a fun and Blessed(even though we lost the one this morning) calving season so far. Two more to go and we will be done.

Our first AI calves on the year are due to hit the ground today and tomorrow. We have had two so far, both bulls. The first was born at 272 days gestation and weighed 70 lbs. The second bull was born at 280 days and weighed 82 lbs. We AIed four others, and they are all looking close. The rest of the herd is due to start calving on March 9th. Looking forward to the rest of calving season. This is the first bull calf when he was 6 days old.
801%20Bull%206%20days_zpsyieutjdb.jpg

And this is a fall calf out of a first-calf heifer. She weighed 46 lbs at birth, our smallest to date, but is turning out really well. She is currently 4 1/2 months old. Her maternal grandsire is Cadella Park Golden Boy, a Murray Grey bull that was imported to the US from Australia in the mid-1970s.
730%20Heifer%204.5%20months_zpsinhs4nc3.jpg

BrangusUSA":1v5nnc1y said:
Should probably direct this question to Jeanne but one of you that use Sim might know; when the calves grow up will those white markings stay the same or change? I just wondered because I know that a lot of calves change from tan/cocoa to darken to black as they shed and get older. Did not know about the markings.
Any white stays white.
Interesting fact:
If you have identical twins, and one has any white, the other one will have exactly the same square inches of white, but may be in a different area.

This isn't from our cows but it's a graft for a cow that lost her calf.... He sure is a cute little fella...

We have been busy! Here are a few of ours...

A December Cowboy Cut
2il1187.jpg

NEW this morning; an Optimizer (have not weighed yet, but she is likely under 60 pounds! 273 days gestation
95yb09.jpg

A December Cut Above (Fat Butt) 3/4 blood (Beef Maker x Pioneer dam)
iejzgi.jpg

A Feb Bandwagon embryo bull. Going to have to cut this one, he has horn buds! My first bull calf to have horns...
2af0pjp.jpg

An October Elevate. She is pretty sweat!
o8vr09.jpg

A Sept Upperclass x Zsa Zsa (Jeanne's cow)
rj1pmo.jpg

Hard to see this one, but she is also an Optimizer, 58 pounds, out of a first calf heifer...
2lt3ryp.jpg

We are done except for two late May calvers....

Nive looking calves. Of course I love the Upperclass one. LOL
I knew Bandwagon was scurred, that is why I quit breeding to him. Hate trying to keep track of horns and scurs.
I hear the 2 time Denver champion is scurred, bummer.

Latest posts