Show your calf pictures.

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms":1grtpgx9 said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":1grtpgx9 said:
I have a cow I purchased as a heifer (rare for me). She has a huge udder. Does a great job raising a calf - but, I don't want her genetics in the herd, so she gets an embryo each year. So far, calves never have a problem getting all 4.

This is the first year her calf has struggled to nurse. Her bag and teats are getting bigger every year, but they won't be my problem next year. This is her first heifer calf and we'll probably keep it, it's not worth listening to the boss.....
My cow with big udder has one daughter is the herd. Calved as a 2 yr old with twins this year. She definitely has a larger udder than my other heifers but not as big as her mom's was as a 2 yr old.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2k9fxcqc said:
True Grit Farms":2k9fxcqc said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":2k9fxcqc said:
I have a cow I purchased as a heifer (rare for me). She has a huge udder. Does a great job raising a calf - but, I don't want her genetics in the herd, so she gets an embryo each year. So far, calves never have a problem getting all 4.

This is the first year her calf has struggled to nurse. Her bag and teats are getting bigger every year, but they won't be my problem next year. This is her first heifer calf and we'll probably keep it, it's not worth listening to the boss.....
My cow with big udder has one daughter is the herd. Calved as a 2 yr old with twins this year. She definitely has a larger udder than my other heifers but not as big as her mom's was as a 2 yr old.

Your idea of a large udder and mine very greatly I would think. My heavy Simmental influenced cows have larger udders on adverage than the rest of my herd. I have one Angus cow that has fairly large teats, but they are shaped like a funnel so no problems there yet, but she's getting worse every year.

Nesikep":26i54rwt said:
and old Sim/Fleckvieh cow I saw at the sale barn.. that's a big udder, but well shaped
When our herd was majority flec sim, around 300 head, we suffered from LUBC syndrome..Low udder big calf...My job was if the calf couldn't nurse I had to get them up and help it. Usually with all this we also had this LUBSC, low udder big stupid calf syndrome.... most sim calves were stupid.. I do not miss those days.

ALACOWMAN":1y758i9a said:
Nice milk carton on that old gal...her dual purpose shining through...
If I was a gambling man I'd have brought her home.. our herd has been closed as far as cows go for nearly 30 years.
I bet she could raise a couple of them, She must have some age to her too.

True Grit Farms":p1csq83k said:

First set this year.

I have had 2 sets so far. Same cows had twins last year too. This last set I had to pull because the first one was breach and she couldn't get them started.
Do you pull one off or leave both on the cow?

bball":2hks26mh said:
True Grit Farms":2hks26mh said:

First set this year.

I have had 2 sets so far. Same cows had twins last year too. This last set I had to pull because the first one was breach and she couldn't get them started.
Do you pull one off or leave both on the cow?

I'm planning on letting her raise both, she's a heck of a cow, I'm wishing for twin heifers.

These 3 girls are out of 3 Hereford heifers i bought this winter. All 3 calved out without issue.

Just some random calfs out of the commercial cows. Oldest calf is 30 days.

A few more. Oldest is 30 days. Orange tags are steers. White tags are heifers.

Had two yesterday. One red female and the other is a bull calf. These are the first calves for both mommas.

This morning, 2nd timer and little bull calf

Kama, 4th? calf.. big strong heifer

Caddy, 10th calf, linebred bull with full sister getting an introduction

Cenci, 6th calf.. Hera's full sister, born on the same day, same tag number even.. Momma has waaay more milk than she needs right now (you can see she only likes the right rear teat).. She has never liked me milking her, but I think she figured out it feels good.. I swear I milked 3-4 gallons out of her today.. maybe daughter will learn to count a little higher now

Far cow, Sigma, 1st timer with a bull calf called Dumdum.. born 9 days early, one front leg the wrong way
Near cow, Prada, 5th calf.. I've never seen a calf get up and nurse as quickly, or with such vigor.. He nearly ate the cow.. I think he was nursing in 10 minutes.. He's got Marko's markings (Full sib mating)

Latest posts