Show your calf pictures.

Help Support CattleToday:

30707370_10157951044057837_552409455136866304_n.jpg

I like everyone's calves!
For some reason I can't click on the heart at the bottom of the pictures anymore. Not sure what that's about, but I like the calves. All good looking calves as usual.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2wq4cexw said:
slick4591":2wq4cexw said:
farmboy80":2wq4cexw said:
What bred is that one slick?

She's a full blood Piedmontese, or if you ask Sim-ang, it's a thoroughbred.
How old is she in the picture? When do you de-horn - or do you?

Jeanne ~ She was just a few days short of 6 months in that pic. She spent a couple of weeks in that pen then I brought her to my grow out pasture. We stopped at the vet on the way and she was de-horned, bangs and black legged. The Europeans do not de-horn but most North and South Americans have adopted the policy to do it.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":8w584u5r said:
Yes, we (Simmental) had to deal with horns in the past, so we dehorned. I asked the age, because she looks more like a month old calf in the picture. Just looks super young.

Better than 400 lbs then. Would the small head make her look younger?

slick - I knew she was a Pied - she just looks young, nothing to compare her size - tight gut, long legs, hips much higher than the shoulder. I would not have been surprised if you had said she was 2 weeks old, except for the horns do give away some age. And I'm not trying to be critical. Just really struck me that she was too young to wean. So at 400#, how old was she in the picture?

I know you were not being critical, Jeanne. She was just short of 6 months in the earlier picture and only milk and grass. This is her today after being on grass and feed for 3 weeks. Don't know if this tells you anything.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3jy5p9xb said:
Yes, she sure is filling out. Are all your Pieds super clean fronted and fine boned?

Being fined boned is a Pied trait. It is really strong bone as they originated in the lower part of the Alps. Just like commercial cattle the clean front is something I select for.

Latest posts