Show your bull(s) - Put a pic up

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne
i think we probably like the same type of cattle, we struggle to find ones that fit into the moderate category that still maintain muscle expression and don't give up too much in their top and hip. Its getting even tougher in the Angus up here as they are getting pretty big again.

I'm ok with sacrificing a few lbs on weaning weights in exchange for a more moderate animal, as long as that animal maintains their thickness. We run a 2-yr old program where the bulls don't get any supplemental grain until they are 18 months old. They loose all their baby fat over the first winter and run out on grass for the summer, the bigger framed bulls typically don't hold up or gain as well in the environment we run them in.

here's an Angus herd sire that's about a 5.5 frame

and another that would be 6 -also the sire of the Simmangus bull i posted earlier

You really have nice cattle. I can really appreciate a good breeding program. Do you mostly run an Angus herd? (Purebred?) How long have you been crossing?
I'm an old Simmental breeder - through and through. Been through ALL the stages. Started in 1970. Had the almost 10 frame cattle!!! gutless wonders!
I really, really like where my breed is now. Moderate, big middle, easy keeping kind. Yes, there are still race horses out there, but not in my herd - or - most "good" breeders' herd.

i run 35 Simm cows and 25 Angus cows in my herd and dad runs about 100 angus cows at his place. Family has had Angus cattle for about 60 years I've only been in the Simmentals for 5 years and was only using an Angus bull on my hfrs, but this year i jumped in pretty deep and will only have about 5 purebred calves and the rest will be percentage. Plan to upgrade their way back to purebred status.

You could drive a truck through the middle of that bull..with west coast mirrors...can't get over how wide and thick..if it wasn't dark outside I'd go throw rocks at mine..

ALACOWMAN":aroq1ylt said:
You could drive a truck through the middle of that bull..with west coast mirrors...can't get over how wide and thick..if it wasn't dark outside I'd go throw rocks at mine..
:lol: :lol:
His cattle are very impressive.
Don't be afraid to breed you heifers to Simmental bulls. Obviously, I have never bred a heifer to anything EXCEPT a Simmental bull. We have not had to assist a calving for maybe 10 years due to size of calf. Yes, we have assisted calving - but all abnormal presentation.

ALACOWMAN":1cljy3g5 said:

Careful the activists might see that haha

Thanks for all the kind compliments, that first one is called ripper he is our go to hfr bull, we think both of those bulls are quite unique in the thickness they carry, but their best quality is in the consistency of their calf crops. A good bull still has to be able to pass on their attributes to their offspring if he's going to do you any good

Here is one of our homegrown boys, not from AI. He sold back in the early fall 2018. When things were not muddy. His name is Ragnar of Branded.

Don't know why I never post my bulls on this thread, but here you go.

The two herd bulls used last year. Angus, and a PB Sim.
42862991422_fb82b9ec07_h.jpg

Then two bulls born last fall
3/4 sim 1/4 angus
46619345961_3df33e71b1_h.jpg

PB Sim
45895301624_2e7903c2a0_h.jpg

K3ranch":2hhvg2re said:
ALACOWMAN":2hhvg2re said:

Thanks for all the kind compliments, that first one is called ripper he is our go to hfr bull, we think both of those bulls are quite unique in the thickness they carry, but their best quality is in the consistency of their calf crops. A good bull still has to be able to pass on their attributes to their offspring if he's going to do you any good
Really nice bulls!

TC ranch, my critique of yours would be that I find he lacks hind end.. awesome pictures though and I appreciate that he's a big old baby!

K3ranch":13xgsr8f said:
ALACOWMAN":13xgsr8f said:

Wish we could find an Angus bull like that is this area. What frame size is he? The blaze faced bull looks to be bigger framed but might be the pic.

Elk,
Ripper, is a 5.5 at the most. The other bulls are 6's

We do have 13 sons of ripper selling this March, the American dollar is pretty good right now :D

sim.-ang.king":2d631exz said:
Don't know why I never post my bulls on this thread, but here you go.

The two herd bulls used last year. Angus, and a PB Sim.
42862991422_fb82b9ec07_h.jpg

Then two bulls born last fall
3/4 sim 1/4 angus
46619345961_3df33e71b1_h.jpg

PB Sim
45895301624_2e7903c2a0_h.jpg

What can you tell me about that blaze bull? He is the kind of you know what I mean.

*************":3kh0ro3w said:
Here is one of our homegrown boys, not from AI. He sold back in the early fall 2018. When things were not muddy. His name is Ragnar of Branded.

Really nice bull.

K3ranch":3d12zonz said:
Jeanne
i think we probably like the same type of cattle, we struggle to find ones that fit into the moderate category that still maintain muscle expression and don't give up too much in their top and hip. Its getting even tougher in the Angus up here as they are getting pretty big again.

I'm ok with sacrificing a few lbs on weaning weights in exchange for a more moderate animal, as long as that animal maintains their thickness. We run a 2-yr old program where the bulls don't get any supplemental grain until they are 18 months old. They loose all their baby fat over the first winter and run out on grass for the summer, the bigger framed bulls typically don't hold up or gain as well in the environment we run them in.

here's an Angus herd sire that's about a 5.5 frame

and another that would be 6 -also the sire of the Simmangus bull i posted earlier
Awsome bull! Bulls like that don't come around very often. Are you going to collect him?

Latest posts