Show your bull(s) - Put a pic up

Help Support CattleToday:

This is a 10 month old wulfs NASA son out of a Magness and Wulfs Nobel prize cow we bred. This is his first time haltered and lead. :

This is our Murray Grey herdsire, BB Uncle Tony, currently. He is almost 3.5 years old, born March 2012. He has been with over 20 cows this summer. When the summer is over, we will have him collected.
BB_Uncle_Tony_3_5_years_.jpg

BB_Uncle_Tony_3_5_years_1.jpg

1982vett":cc6l2gm0 said:
My Hereford bull. Picture was taken back in the Fall when this thred was started. Been meaning to get pictures of the others, just haven't gotten to it.

9f3ee77948197b67c5fe805c2c3df409_zpsdjs2z63c.jpg

8a9d67a958328c72ed1a18737c7c22dd_zpsoxbzwbyn.jpg
He isn't here any more. About a month after I posted this he was injured in round two with another bull. He lost quite a bit of weight before he started getting around pretty good and put some of it back on. Caught him trying to breed a cow an I decided it was time to send him in while he was walking well. He still weighed 1995 and brought a couple hundred more than I paid for him.
Will be looking for a replacement soon.

1982vett":88qnpzyc said:
He isn't here any more. About a month after I posted this he was injured in round two with another bull. He lost quite a bit of weight before he started getting around pretty good and put some of it back on. Caught him trying to breed a cow an I decided it was time to send him in while he was walking well. He still weighed 1995 and brought a couple hundred more than I paid for him.

Are you going back to Mr. Skrivanek? I have my second bull from him. I really liked the first one; the jury's still out on the second (only one calf crop from him, will know more next year this time).

Rafter S":3vs822yo said:
1982vett":3vs822yo said:

Are you going back to Mr. Skrivanek? I have my second bull from him. I really liked the first one; the jury's still out on the second (only one calf crop from him, will know more next year this time).
I'm liking the calves I've been getting. Even have had several that have topped the market at the sale in Caldwell. I had a horned hereford a few years before I got this one. I sold down to 27 head in 2011 and just didn't need 3 bulls. The horned hereford was several years older so I keeping the younger one made sense to me at the time. My Brangus cows are a "put together" herd (a few from here and a few from their) so genetics are not uniform. But of course, culling down from 120 to 27 takes care of a lot of that but at the time my criteria was fertility and temperament so I do have a few with a smaller frame size.

I'm on the fence as what to do. I did stop by a couple months ago and made a list. Didn't act on it and I'm sure most of them are gone now. The brangus cows are mostly 8 - 11 years old now. Age is creeping in fast. Been keeping replacements out of them for 3 years. So unless I start buying Brangus repacements, I should really use a black bull or a charolais bull. Already have one of each, but with saving heifers, In the spring I will be at numbers I'd be more comfortable with having an extra bull around. Another option I have is to take a whack at the herd and cull heavily buying myself some time.

Other things to factor in is the current unsettled market....or is it just taking a breather.
The weather.....doesn't seem anyone can make heads or tails of that one.

Right now I'm content to keep an eye open things and figure which way the wind is blowing come Spring.

After writing this, culling down and buying back some Brangus and a Hereford bull would let me grow the Baldie herd a few more years. Mighty be the way to go.

1982vett":35ekqusx said:
After writing this, culling down and buying back some Brangus and a Hereford bull would let me grow the Baldie herd a few more years. Mighty be the way to go.

Sounds like a good plan. You can't go wrong with super baldies in our part of the country.

http://www.steerplanet.com/bb/the-big-s ... tings!/30/
Here is a follow up photo of my "bull" that I posted back in May, he should be on the bottom of the page. I think he's developed pretty nicely, he was right up there in size with the older calves in his class! I was disappointed that they didn't weigh the bulls, but compared to heifers I saw on the scales I'd put him around 800lbs. We are hoping to take him to Denver next.

A few new pictures of our almost 2 year old herd sire. Shared photos of him earlier in this thread somewhere, really excited to see how his calves look this spring. Reg# is 43478104 He's out of one of our best cows so we know he has some good maternal bloodlines in his pedigree, hopefully he passes on some of that thickness to his calves too.

84b.jpg

84b2.jpg

84b3.jpg

SPH":4bl6wqvd said:
A few new pictures of our almost 2 year old herd sire. Shared photos of him earlier in this thread somewhere, really excited to see how his calves look this spring. Reg# is 43478104 He's out of one of our best cows so we know he has some good maternal bloodlines in his pedigree, hopefully he passes on some of that thickness to his calves too.

84b.jpg

You keep using that word, I don´t think it means what you think it means.

Latest posts