Show me your herd bull

Help Support CattleToday:

No they have not collected him. He is a really great bull. I normally had a 60 day breeding season. But, with our sale in PA and our vacation to Kauai, we decided to AI for 40-42 days and turn bull out for 30 days. So he is covering the cows while we are gone. After the 4 calves we got this year, I'm not so panicked about getting "bull" bred cows. His calves are as good as any of our AI calves.
Not wanting top hold you to it o9r anything, but out of couroity , mostly, what would you be asking for one of his bull calves out of your cows at weaning? They will calve what, January or February of 24? Wean about August? That may be too far out to estimate, but say you had one weaned right now...about what would it bring?

Warren - his calves would be born Feb - early March. I charge PICK of my bull calves at $1950 - pickup by October. Fully weaned, vaccinated and pre-conditioned. I would have to know ahead of time, because we automatically band our late born bull calves - especially by clean up bull. People expect an AI calf from SV.
People have been asking for "pick" during the winter BEFORE calving, so, I make a list --- 1st pick, 2nd pick, etc. I had 5 sold before we started calving. The last 4 years, we have had at least 4 sold before birth. I never used to sell more than 1 to 3 bulls (all calves - do not keep any males past October. I rarely kept 3 bull calves in tact. Sold 5 bull calves last year and 7 the year before.

Last edited:
The bull got turned out with our girls yesterday - first day turn out on grass. I will have to get a picture of his FEET. Huge round foot - walks as sound as you could get one. He is 4 years old now.

We got 2 inches of rain. You can see the big foot prints!!
Very nice bull. A little light in the rear end and short in the leg, but his better attributes are spectacular. And he may be better than the pictures. I bet he makes some great heifers.

LOL - yes he is short legged - just what I want - all body and muscle. We don't need long legs - long spine on the other hand is a definite plus plus. Not the least bit lacking in the rear quarters. He is NOT a bubble butted limo. I hate that look. His muscle goes way down his rear legs - very square.
My herd is built the same way. I got rid of the elephant 8-9 frame cattle that I used to have. Didn't really like that style, but that's what sold and paid the bills. As soon as my buyers put away the frame chart measuring tape, I cut the legs off. My cows used to weigh on average of 1550# at frame 8 (avg). Now my cows weigh average about 1600# and average about frame 6. Just what I love!!!
Absolutely LOVE turning my cows out on grass. They have been pizzed off for past 2 weeks. Could SEE the grass and couldn't get to it. Scrounging every little blade of grass growing in their winter areas. Happy campers! They were in that field 1 day, now in another field - might be for 2 days. Rotation has begun.

LOL - yes he is short legged - just what I want - all body and muscle. We don't need long legs - long spine on the other hand is a definite plus plus. Not the least bit lacking in the rear quarters. He is NOT a bubble butted limo. I hate that look. His muscle goes way down his rear legs - very square.
My herd is built the same way. I got rid of the elephant 8-9 frame cattle that I used to have. Didn't really like that style, but that's what sold and paid the bills. As soon as my buyers put away the frame chart measuring tape, I cut the legs off. My cows used to weigh on average of 1550# at frame 8 (avg). Now my cows weigh average about 1600# and average about frame 6. Just what I love!!!
Absolutely LOVE turning my cows out on grass. They have been pizzed off for past 2 weeks. Could SEE the grass and couldn't get to it. Scrounging every little blade of grass growing in their winter areas. Happy campers! They were in that field 1 day, now in another field - might be for 2 days. Rotation has begun.
That's why I asked if you were gonna sell any bull calves out of this breeding. Scott's brother that has the Chianina x Brahma heifers that were bred to an angus, now has the pairs over at our place to breed to one of his Chi-angus/black Simm/Brangus composite bulls. I sent him this picture and asked him what about a bull like this to breed them with? His short legs would do great to offset the long=-legged Chianina and Brahma influence.

Last edited:
I do recognize how lucky I am these bulls respect the fence. Looking all pitiful with the ladies directly across the road. Cool your jets, boys, one more week! BTW I also recognize how lucky I am that moving them is as simple as opening both gates. They know where to go! Side note: very pleased how Tallywacker (far left) is developing; he turned 2 in March.
1684072392276.jpeg

Lease bull came late this year because of rain and to wet to get to the bulls but came out well I think. char out of the late LT Ledger. I'll be excited to see next year's crop

Lease bull came late this year because of rain and to wet to get to the bulls but came out well I think. char out of the late LT Ledger. I'll be excited to see next year's crop
Years ago when I had registered Charolais, I had most of the cows AI'd to LT (Lindskov Theil) bulls. Really liked their cattle.

Crossbreed you should be pleased with the Ledger breeding in your calves. Best bull I ever owned was from his sire Bluegrass. Mine stayed where he was supposed to, gentle, easy to load, never pulled a calf, and calves that hit the scales 850 plus at 7 months. LT have been doing it right for a long time.
And Lithuanian got to love the Lims.

Latest posts