Show me your herd bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Grass indeed... I drove through NW New Mexico a few days ago and it was more like this. Absolutely the worst cow country I've ever seen... and there were cows.

View attachment 29051
That's pretty much the definition of sparse right there. Survival of the fittest in that country. Those cows really gotta hustle and cover some ground to find something to live on.

That's pretty much the definition of sparse right there. Survival of the fittest in that country. Those cows really gotta hustle and cover some ground to find something to live on.
Grass indeed... I drove through NW New Mexico a few days ago and it was more like this. Absolutely the worst cow country I've ever seen... and there were cows.

View attachment 29051
They make some for real damn cowboys out in that country. I was at a Rodeo in Arizona probably eight years ago come this month and every single one of them folks was rock hard punchers.

New for this season. 3 were bought last fall but delivered recently, the Earthquake bull was an auction sale impulse buy. Names are of sires / sires family. Hopefully they do their job and leave a positive mark on 2024's calf crop.

Epic II
3B56DA5E-1D89-464E-A537-A9C78B572808.jpeg

Anchor D Earthquake son
BCD1C3EC-37B3-4079-BDAF-701FB06A9149.jpeg

Willowdale Astute. Will put this bull on heifers this year.
4F2576AA-4C07-4992-9D87-087B33128BB5.jpeg

RST Gage
E288E78B-9690-4E0E-9CEC-0F66A9E545CE.jpeg

New for this season. 3 were bought last fall but delivered recently, the Earthquake bull was an auction sale impulse buy. Names are of sires / sires family. Hopefully they do their job and leave a positive mark on 2024's calf crop.

Epic II
View attachment 29102

Anchor D Earthquake son
View attachment 29103

Willowdale Astute. Will put this bull on heifers this year.
View attachment 29104

RST Gage
View attachment 29105
It's funny you mention Willow Astute as your heifer bull. I'd looked at the pics before reading and thought to myself that I'd only use him on cows with experience. I don't know the statistics on him, or any of them, but based on looks alone I'd be using Epic or Gage, in that order, for heifers.

It's funny you mention Willow Astute as your heifer bull. I'd looked at the pics before reading and thought to myself that I'd only use him on cows with experience. I don't know the statistics on him, or any of them, but based on looks alone I'd be using Epic or Gage, in that order, for heifers.
If you see them up close you might change your mind. Admittedly his epd's aren't great, if you place much weight on such things. Remind me this time next year and I'll tell you if I made a mistake or not lol

If you see them up close you might change your mind. Admittedly his epd's aren't great, if you place much weight on such things. Remind me this time next year and I'll tell you if I made a mistake or not lol
I'll forget by then... but if you remember and remind me I'll be interested. Nice animals anyway. The anticipation of good things to come is why we do it.

No they have not collected him. He is a really great bull. I normally had a 60 day breeding season. But, with our sale in PA and our vacation to Kauai, we decided to AI for 40-42 days and turn bull out for 30 days. So he is covering the cows while we are gone. After the 4 calves we got this year, I'm not so panicked about getting "bull" bred cows. His calves are as good as any of our AI calves.

Latest posts