Show me your herd bull

Help Support CattleToday:

He's always up to something. He's a big pet. I just poured some feed on the ground and while he was trying to eat, I was able to just twist and lift it off. Then had to drag the trough back to the corral.
Sorry, not funny but your description of getting it off and having to take it back to the corral was worth the chuckle....:rolleyes::giggle::giggle:

Well, "Mr was gonna stay a bull has signed his nut removal papers. Broke through an arguably not perfect but still functional gate on Saturday, then jumped a fence/gate yesterday to get back in with the girls as one of them was apparently cycling. Bad habits start early…

Attachments

• 68C06E93-A211-4280-A98A-1C6BE891462C.jpeg
    68C06E93-A211-4280-A98A-1C6BE891462C.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 32
  • BB8E430A-C573-4C4A-BE7E-973C6BD6F600.jpeg
    BB8E430A-C573-4C4A-BE7E-973C6BD6F600.jpeg
    6.6 MB · Views: 32
  • BBFE25EC-3F8A-4A1A-B6F1-61B06E5BC268.jpeg
    BBFE25EC-3F8A-4A1A-B6F1-61B06E5BC268.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 32
Here's a current of our bulls, BWF 3/4 Angus 1/4 Hereford has been pulled away from cows a couple weeks or so, will be 5 years old this coming April. The RWF Simmental bull is coming 2 years in April and will be turned out with cows for the first time around Thanksgiving.
The bulls pretty much have there own little farm across the road from our main farm. I leave part of the barn open for them and feed them a little almost everyday, to keep an eye on them and to keep them easy to work with.
FECEBD34-FD08-4D80-BCA0-CC26329F1DB5.jpeg757721BD-7C30-481E-8930-7E5279F37BBA.jpegFB462313-DD2E-4F32-BBCA-2C5E556F79E4.jpeg

Well, "Mr was gonna stay a bull has signed his nut removal papers. Broke through an arguably not perfect but still functional gate on Saturday, then jumped a fence/gate yesterday to get back in with the girls as one of them was apparently cycling. Bad habits start early…
He was just doing what young bulls do. Bless his heart! :cool:

@Hpacres440p "IF" he is as post legged as it appears, I would never recommend him to remain a bull. But, I don't know what you have/need. Not my call.

@Ky hills GREAT bulls. That black one better watch out. Red is catching up in size. Love the depth of flank, and, his muscle pattern follows down that hind leg. Both are really good bulls.

Here's a current of our bulls, BWF 3/4 Angus 1/4 Hereford has been pulled away from cows a couple weeks or so, will be 5 years old this coming April. The RWF Simmental bull is coming 2 years in April and will be turned out with cows for the first time around Thanksgiving.
The bulls pretty much have there own little farm across the road from our main farm. I leave part of the barn open for them and feed them a little almost everyday, to keep an eye on them and to keep them easy to work with.
View attachment 36313View attachment 36314View attachment 36315
I really like the red bull, both are nice

View attachment 36283
Apparently, my bull wanted his lunch to go!
My Bull was in my round bale feeder three times last winter! He always seems a little apprehensive about what I am going to do when I have to lift it so he can get out. He's not aggressive, mostly afraid then however I still have to be cautious.

View attachment 18501
Getting to be an old man , going to be 7 this fall . Our Plattemere Weigh Up son. Thinking seriously about letting him go after August, especially if bulls are still over a dollar a lb . He was a replacement for the bull I originally bought at the Deer Valley sale . That bull had a big corn between his front hoof and went lame after I got him home . Wasn't real sold on him at first but he has done a great job for us . His daughters are really doing well .

My Bull was in my round bale feeder three times last winter! He always seems a little apprehensive about what I am going to do when I have to lift it so he can get out. He's not aggressive, mostly afraid then however I still have to be cautious.
Johnson was my village idiot and always got stuck in the bale ring - and would subsequently drag it around the pasture until I showed up and rescued him. I have an epic video of it:ROFLMAO:

Johnson was my village idiot and always got stuck in the bale ring - and would subsequently drag it around the pasture until I showed up and rescued him. I have an epic video of it:ROFLMAO:
Trump is my bull (he gets the job done) that gets in the ring, as I was walking out to get him out once, he took off and tried to make it through a 6 foot gate! he sandwiched that ring as he broke one fence post for the gate and kept on going. found the ring out in the next pasture all bent to #*@%^ and him far away from it. wish I had a video of that!

I purchased a yearling simangus bull in 2009 at a breeder's yearly bull sale. I remember that he was a good looking bull and that the AI stud that owned his sire included progeny photos of that yearling bull and two heifers in their 2010 sire directory on the page showing that sire. I recently came across that AI sire directory. Here is a picture of the handsome young yearling.
1698498985058.png
I paid $4500 for him which was a lot of money for me in 2009. Just a yearling, we put one cow with him that fall. By breeding season the next year, he had developed a very long outside claw on a back foot. He was able to breed 3 cows with his long claw before he went to hamburger heaven. Moral of story is that it takes more than good looks to make a good bull and that good feet are very important. I don't trim feet, but trim the neck just behind the ears. I was disappointed in my poor selection.

Last edited:
I was at a sale years ago where they had their big flush cow on display. She had terrible screw toes. But her progeny still sold well. Just shook my head.

You can't always see the problem as a yearling but I have walked away from many bulls where the feet weren't just right. They won't get better with age. Learned that lesson the hard way.

I purchased a yearling simangus bull in 2009 at a breeder's yearly bull sale. I remember that he was a good looking bull and that the AI stud that owned his sire included progeny photos of that yearling bull and two heifers in their 2010 sire directory on the page showing that sire. I recently came across that AI sire directory. Here is a picture of the handsome young yearling.
View attachment 36418
I paid $4500 for him which was a lot of money for me in 2009. Just a yearling, we put one cow with him that fall. By breeding season the next year, he had developed a very long outside claw on a back foot. He was able to breed 3 cows with his long claw before he went to hamburger heaven. Moral of story is that it takes more than good looks to make a good bull and that good feet are very important. I don't trim feet, but trim the neck just behind the ears. I was disappointed in my poor selection.
That hurts to read.

Latest posts