Upside Down Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

TwoByrdsMG

Reaction score
Well this is a first one for me... upside down calf. We had one upside down and backwards calf a couple years ago but it was a much smaller calf and easier to turn. Last year had a tail only presentation that I was able to correct too. And we've had a few backwards calves.

Tried three times unsuccessfully to turn the calf before calling the vet and leaving a message (of course its after hours). Told my husband to call the neighbor to see if he could help us get it turned. While waiting for someone to show up, I tried to turn the calf again and finally it stayed in place once I turned him. Had hubby grab the ropes and start pulling. First calf heifer was super helpful pushing while both my arms were holding the calf in position. Bruised up to both shoulders but well worth it to have a live one on the ground.

Vet called me back about 10 minutes after we pulled the calf and he was happy that we were able to get him on our own.

We've been really lucky so far to only loose one calf to being delivered breech. All other calves we have been successful pulling without a vet, though the neighbor sure has helped us a few times! I thought for sure that this was going to need a cesarean section.

Oddly enough this PB Charolais cow was born breech also.

1715388227441.jpeg

Well this is a first one for me... upside down calf. We had one upside down and backwards calf a couple years ago but it was a much smaller calf and easier to turn. Last year had a tail only presentation that I was able to correct too. And we've had a few backwards calves.

Tried three times unsuccessfully to turn the calf before calling the vet and leaving a message (of course its after hours). Told my husband to call the neighbor to see if he could help us get it turned. While waiting for someone to show up, I tried to turn the calf again and finally it stayed in place once I turned him. Had hubby grab the ropes and start pulling. First calf heifer was super helpful pushing while both my arms were holding the calf in position. Bruised up to both shoulders but well worth it to have a live one on the ground.

Vet called me back about 10 minutes after we pulled the calf and he was happy that we were able to get him on our own.

We've been really lucky so far to only loose one calf to being delivered breech. All other calves we have been successful pulling without a vet, though the neighbor sure has helped us a few times! I thought for sure that this was going to need a cesarean section.

Oddly enough this PB Charolais cow was born breech also.

View attachment 44605
Looks like a big calf.

Ken

I had an upside down calf in a first calf heifer last year too. Fortunately for me it seemed to flip pretty easy. My first one of those in 30 years also.

I have pulled them with a come-along hooked to the roof of the shed or to the top frame of the chute. Upward and onward!

Latest posts