Two headed calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Silver

Reaction score
This was at the clinic I prefer to use. I'm not sure but I think on of the heads has an underbite:

‼️INTERESTING CASE‼️
This two-headed calf, yes TWO headed calf was delivered via C-section today by Dr. Mike. They were having trouble pulling the calf so opted for C-section and were very surprised by what they discovered.

This very rare occurrence is called polycepahaly and is a result of genetic abnormalities or damage to the nervous system during the development and splitting of embryos.

Sadly this little one did not survive. 😢

Thank you to the owners for allowing us to share this truly rare case.

1708281469703.png
1708281508530.png

Saw a Hereford calf with 5 legs , rear leg , double bone from knee joint down . That leg was 3-4 inches shorter . Calf did well .
Next was a Hereford calf with a cleft palate . Poor little thing would nurse and loose more than it swallowed. Same with feed . Owner finally put it down .

I had a first calf heifer a few years ago with a two headed monster calf as well. They were conjoined right at the shoulder. The vet and I had a terrible time getting it out of her but we eventually did and saved the heifer in the process. I didn't know how rare it was until the guy that works for me mentioned it on a few Facebook sites and people were asking to buy the dead calf from us for research and such. My vet has been working for 30+ years and he had never seen it in person before.

I had a first calf heifer a few years ago with a two headed monster calf as well. They were conjoined right at the shoulder. The vet and I had a terrible time getting it out of her but we eventually did and saved the heifer in the process. I didn't know how rare it was until the guy that works for me mentioned it on a few Facebook sites and people were asking to buy the dead calf from us for research and such. My vet has been working for 30+ years and he had never seen it in person before.
Pics?

We had one last year. Looked nearly identical to the one pictured other than it was tan.
Luckily we were able to pull the calf as it came backwards.
Mom and dad are getting it taxidermied. Which is repulsive, but that's another story.

I don't know if it's the same calf, but there was one born a few weeks ago and last I heard it was a week old, trying to stand but not quite.. they said it had some fight in it so as long as it was they were going to keep trying

Latest posts